Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Booked an Engagement party but I didn't realise...

13 of January of 2014 at 19:20 Posted on Planning 0 10

...how expensive even just a DJ is!!!

We're not getting married until 2016, I'm still at college until June/July and my H2B lost his full time job recently and hasn't found anything else yet. We've just booked an Engagement party as the weddings 2 1/2 years away and thought it'd be really cheap as where he works part time have offered us their function room and his mums said she'll do the food. So just got a few quotes and they're in the hundreds. I may be really naive but I honestly didn't realise!

Now I'm feeling a bit...meh!

10 replies

Latest activity by **Claire**, 15 of January of 2014 at 22:56
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

You dont need a DJ (ive never been to an engagement party with one yet)

it can pay to ask around people, DJs used to be quite common and everyone used to know one (normally a hobbiest) we used to use load of hobbyist DJ for birthday parties and just pay them £20-£30 (not sure if its still a popular fad though)

or

we used Karaoke (I own my own machine that used to be popular for house parties and a lot of local pubs/clubs also owned them)

most venues will have CD players free of charge too

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Where abouts are you in the country hun? i know several who are cheap if you have your heart set on it

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

This is the reason we didnt have one! We are just reserving half of a nice pub (free of charge) and puttingsome money behind the bar. Just invited our closest friends & family x

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

We had a party at our house... we had home made chille and korma with garlic bread and stuff... there was around 30 odd people that came, just close friends and family. We put up a marquee in the garden (it was at the end of November so we needed it!) and decorated it with paper lanterns and fairy lights and had the chimenea burning at one end to keep people warm!

My auntie made an incredible engagement cake and gave us that as our present and the cake stand it came on.

We even had a proper toast with everyone having champagne!!

It was just a lovely evening, everyone had something to eat and a few (if not too many) drinks and was just great to celebrate that we are finally going to get married!! (after years of me nagging) ?

We decided on a party at home because we didn't want to spend a lot of money that could be put towards the wedding, and it was a great sucess!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I'm lucky in that my dad is a DJ so did our music for our engagement party. If he hadn't, like the others we wouldn't have had a DJ at all.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

We upgraded to Spotify premium and made a party playlist with a bit of everything for everyone. Plugged it in to some big speakers.

DJ shouldn't really be necessary unless you really want one.

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

We're doing this for our wedding. £40 to hire speakers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics