Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2018

Booked my wedding before my friend. Is that wrong? And what do do next?

SunnyYellowDiamonds812, 22 of February of 2017 at 08:17 Posted on Planning 0 10

Our friends have been engaged for 2 years and booked their wedding September 18. We got engaged last year and this week booked our wedding march 18 - happy times or what's that I thought. A week before booking officially i went to my friends and asked was he okay that we got married before him he said that's fine and I asked him to be my user. Although he didn't seem overly excited about this. But he is a bit wooden. My fiancée then announce in our friends FB our wedding date and his reply was "before ours??? Even though we booked a year ago..." he was drunk at the time. I then contacted him out of the group and he exploded saying a lot of things that annoyed like we screwed him over, bang out of order, can the lad afford 2 stag dos, the whole thing is *** tbh etc. He apologied the day after for the way he reacted but sticks to how he feels and that we are in wrong. He said that he would've have be ok if we booked after theirs which would've left us with October November. He said he didn't mentioned this when I orgiannly told him we may be booking it as he didn't see the point our mind seem set and would we have changed our minds if he did? The answer to that is no.Personally I can't see what the problem is 6 months before I'd understand if it was a couple of weeks before. But he has said others have agreed with him over this. I'd like to know anyone else thought on this? Are we in the wrong?

secondary, my fiancée is really upset about this as this whole thing should be about her and celebration which I feel bad about. She's that upset that she doesn't want them at our wedding if this is how they feel. At the moment I agree. Why would you spend all that money on someone who's not happy about our wedding and can bring in negativity. I'm sure this will all calm down in a few weeks and we will be able to move on as they are good friends of ours so would hate to lose a friendship over this. I've just never been annoyed about anything in my life as much as this. I'm guessing we will have a good talk when the dust has settled. Any advice would be appreciated cheers

10 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 1 of March of 2017 at 20:39
  • MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Just because they've been engaged longer doesn't mean they should have ' the right ' to get married first, it's a bit of an overreaction in my mind. If you'd booked the same day then there'd be an understandable issue or the same month and I'd kind of get it but there's six months difference. I'm getting married a year after some friends of mine who only just got engaged, I'm really excited for them and have been debating what I'm going to wear, might even get a new outfit. They should be happy and excited for you and you asked first, I dint think you're in the wrong.

Hopefully it'll settle down and you'll be able to talk x

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I think other people have probably just agreed with him out of politeness but I think they are over reacting. It was their choice to get married in September, if they were that worried about anyone else getting married before them, they should have picked an earlier date! Hopefully they will calm down when they see that you aren't trying to out do them.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I was engaged over 10 years ago when I was in my 20s and my then fiancé's twin brother and girlfriend got engaged after us and were going to have their wedding before us and I wasn't happy about it! Fiance and brother's mother wasn't happy either as she was thinking of all the expense for 2 weddings in the space of 6 months - 2 outfits etc. Now that I am in my late 30s I don't think it would bother me by my then fiancé was an identical twin and there was a lot of competitiveness between them!

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyRedStationery700 ·
    • Hide content

I've been engaged since February 2012, and I'm only just getting married in May! We had originally booked for May last year but had to postpone. My oldest friend, who got engaged a good couple of years after me, decided to book her wedding for April last year. Was I bothered? NO! The only thing that kind of annoyed me was that they booked one date, and then realised they already had plans so changed it without talking to anyone first - to a date I'd bought Muse tickets for my fiancé's Christmas present. I'd already given him the tickets and then had to tell him we couldn't go, and it was something he'd wanted to do since we first got together ? But I certainly didn't blow up at her over it! I never even mentioned it as I didn't want her to feel guilty.

I think they're hugely overreacting to be honest, and they ought to grow up and realise what's important in life! Friends getting married before them is hardly worthy of a big temper tantrum. I would probably just let the dust settle for a while, and then approach the situation calmly at a later date. If they're still being funny about it, I wouldn't invite them as they'll just spend the day looking sour and making snide comments, and it will spoil the atmosphere for you guys. But if they seem to have genuinely simmered down, then happy days ?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

You really haven't done anything wrong at all. There's a 6 month gap. Also, they had such a long engagement and could have married this year if they wanted to.

It's so selfish to be nasty about what is actually their problem, not yours. If they set a 2-3 year engagement they can't expect none of their friends to marry during that time.

When my parents were engaged, my dad's brother had a long time girlfriend, Irene. My mother booked her wedding on the Saturday she knew was Irene's 21st Birthday. That's mean! What you've done isn't mean at all.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think your friend is bang out of order. They chose to have a long engagement and as Paula said can't expect a wedding ban on everyone they know for that length of time. March and September are far enough apart and could in theory be completely different weather seasons even! You don't plan on stealing all their ideas so what's the problem. The comment that they won't be able to afford two stag do's is rubbish as he was quite happy for you to marry a month after which would be more of a problem financially for people than six months apart surely. If they were so desperate to be first they shouldn't have had such a long engagement. Add to this you asked. I'm not sure I would have asked. You can't be expected to now cancel. I was engaged ten years! Imagine that wedding ban lol.

• D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the other replies, you are not in the wrong at all! Our engagement has been over 2 years and in that time two good friends of mine have got engaged after us and married before us (one is getting married a month before us). I was even bridesmaid for the other one! It hasn't even crossed my mind to be annoyed by it... it's just life! I'm really happy for them, and although I've had moments of secretly being the teensiest bit jealous, I knew I still had my day to look forward to and I think I would prefer that to going to their weddings knowing my day was a distant memory ?

But I agree.. if they're going to be petty then maybe you shouldn't have them there!

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

My friend got engaged November 15, and is getting married August this year. I got engaged March 16 and getting married June this year. I spoke to her before we booked our wedding, and she started laughing; turned out she had a bet with her Fiance that we'd get married before them. She's over the moon for us, as we for her. We've been to fairs together, and done some planning together. It's been really nice.

I hope your friends come round, it such a shame to fall out over it. Do you have similar tastes? Maybe they're worried you'd do the things they want to do before they do them? Me and my friend have told each other our planned surprises for guests to reassure each other we're not doing the same things. We've also shown each other photos of our dress - I didn't buy one as it looked too similar to hers. I am much more in love with the one I have bought.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the point was people wont be able to afford two so people wont go to the 2nd one, if they booked afterward people still wont afford two but HIS would be first so in his mind people whould blow off the OPs not his

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery624 ·
    • Hide content

That's just insane. 6 months apart is half a year and they should have got a move on if they wanted to get in there first!

A friend of mine got engaged at Christmas and has booked her wedding in for 2 weeks before mine. Admittedly that really annoyed me but I wouldn't dream of saying anything to her. Plus mine will be totally different and personal to my own tastes. I really wished she could have done it at least a month or so before... so your friend should think himself lucky!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hello...

I wouldn't worry about this, your life is moving at a different pace to theirs. It's very unfriendly for someone to make you feel bad about your life choices.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics