Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner November 2021 Vale Of Glamorgan

Booking a honeymoon for December 2021 - am i mad?

LucyPsoontobeC, 26 of March of 2021 at 11:17 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 9

Hello all,

Interested to get others views on whether to book a honeymoon for back end of 2021, given that (hopefully) international travel should be resuming by then. We were due to get married December 2020 but after a double whammy of our venue going under plus covid, we rebooked with a different venue for end November 2021 instead. We are feeling hopeful with the progress of vaccination programme and other lockdown restriction easing that we will have the wedding we want (100+ people), keeping all fingers and toes crossed of course. So we have now returned to looking at honeymoon, to go immediately after we get married (on or around December 1st 2020). Sri Lanka is our destination and just for piece of mind, we will probably book with Trailfinders (even though we know this will be at a premium).

My question is, are we absolute LUNATICS to even be looking to book, and risk getting money tied back up in travel (its just taken us a year to get back all our money from a ruined trip to Vietnam which was meant to be in March 2020)? Our parents certainly think so

Or is it a relatively safe risk to take, given TF reputation; committing to actually doing a banging honeymoon (otherwise, life just gets in the way, right?) and overall just having something to look forward to?

Interesting to hear your thoughts!

Lucy xxxx

9 replies

Latest activity by AmyKate, 22 of April of 2021 at 15:55
  • L
    LucyPsoontobeC ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we thought abroad honeymoon was totally off the cards but Sri Lanka I don’t think was hit too hard (as they did the sensible thing and shut their borders ?) and they are rolling out their vaccine programme this month. TF T&Cs currently are that if the UK or destination goes into lockdown or subject to quarantine either side is flexible rearrangement or I think refunds, so best case scenario if things do go wrong. It’s more about having money tied up I guess ? gaaaah I generally am quite sensible on this stuff but just really want something to look forward to ?

• Hollie
    Curious September 2021 Staffordshire
    Hollie ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

If it helps, we've booked our honeymoon for September, so arguably we're more crazy! We booked it with the mind that we might not go (we just needed to have at least something big to look forward to in case the wedding couldn't happen), and should we have to we will just move the date further back.

I'm remaining hopeful at this time though!

Good luck!

• L
    LucyPsoontobeC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this Hollie ! Where are you hoping to go? Just had our TF quote back through and actually its pretty good as some places in our itinerary have deals on right now to entice people back, so even more of a reason to book ! Keeping all fingers and toes crossed xxx

• Hollie
    Curious September 2021 Staffordshire
    Hollie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah the deals at the moment aren’t too bad - another reason why we booked before prices skyrocketed! We’re hoping to go to the Maldives, we were originally eloping in Crete but had to cancel, so thought we’d have a low-key wedding in the UK and spending a little extra for a nicer honeymoon! I have everything crossed for both your wedding and honeymoon! Xxx
  • S
    Beginner May 2021 East Sussex
    Shaw2Be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hollie, we’re the same - Honeymoon booked for Maldives in September. I’m glad you’re not the only crazy ones ha! We had to move our wedding and now having an intimate one so we thought we’d treat ourselves. Everything crossed x
  • Karolina
    Curious July 2021 North West London
    Karolina ·
    • Hide content
    Hello all,

We had our honeymoon booked for October 2021 in Australia which has already been cancelled for the second time ! We were to get married in July 2020 and go on our honeymoon to Australia in October 2020. As you may guess that hasn't worked out ? anyways we are now due to get married in July 2021 and go to Australia in October 2021 but the flights already got cancelled! We are thinking about booking Hawaii instead. I think that vaccination rates will definitely play big part in government deciding on where we can travel too. Therefore Hawaii seems like "safe" destination to book. But what will actually happen.. we will see ! Probably the only thing we can do is be flexible and check airline policies before booking.Fingers crossed ?
  • Rosie
    Beginner October 2021 Lancashire
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in October (third time lucky thanks to covid!) and also want to go on honeymoon to Sri Lanka.

I think we will leave it very last minute until we know what's happening but countries across Asia in general have been very effective at minimising outbreaks during the pandemic.

That said, their vaccination programmes (if at all) are very slow and a lot are relying on COVAX so it could be hugely detrimental for them to open their borders. I am hoping that they might allow visitors if you can prove you have been vaccinated or have a negative test, but obviously we wouldn't only go if we didn't need to isolate on arrival as it cuts into too much time.

Fingers crossed international tourism opens back up again soon!

• HappyGreenDecor6593
    Beginner November 2021 Greater Manchester
    HappyGreenDecor6593 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!

We've book via Trailfinders for late November into early December. We've agreed to cancel if need in September (before the finial amount is due) if its looking unlikely on the travel front. They were super helpful and have a really comprehensive covid cancellation policy. We were advised that more 'remote' destinations might take longer to open up again for travel so something to keep in mind. Best of luck to you!

• AmyKate
    Savvy August 2021 Kent
    AmyKate ·
    • Hide content

We have booked ours for September this year to Malaysia & Borneo - It was a big risk but we have got travel insurance that covers anything Covid related.

We also thought that prices are likely to jump massively if we didn't book it, and worse case scenario we either move it or cancel it and get our money back.

I have everything crossed that we will all be able to celebrate our honeymoons without restrictions!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics