Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2016

Booking honeymoon in married name?

Galbear, 14 of December of 2015 at 15:44 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

I am new to Hitched - I got engaged to my fiancé on 7th November 2015 and our wedding will be 29th October 2016! Smiley smile

We are wanting to book our honeymoon flights tonight as we are going to Australia so would like to get the expense of the flights over and done with. However (and I don't know if this is a stupid question), do I book it in my name as it is now or in my married name? Do I need to change my passport before I can book? I don't know how it works.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by kay_, 21 of December of 2015 at 12:49
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Some book in their current name and don't change their passport until later.

i believe if you are marrying in the UK you can get paperwork from the registry office that allows you to change your passport before you travel. I don't know all the ins and outs of it so maybe ask about that before booking the flights if you don't want to travel in your current name.

Congratulations and welcome to hitched Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sorry should have read paperwork allows you to change your passport before you marry!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

It's easy enough to change your passport, there is a form you get the person marrying you to fill out and you send it off with a normal passport application form. It costs the same amount as a new passport. It can be done up to 12 weeks before the wedding date but then you are unable to use it until the date of the wedding. I changed mine as I think it's nice to be able to fly off as Mr & Mrs... x

• G
    Beginner October 2016
    Galbear ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!

Yes, I agree, I would like to go on my honeymoon with my married name as that will be special for me.

So I can book in my married name now and then apply to change my passport 12 weeks before the wedding then? Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Yes Smiley smile

I booked our flights ages ago in my new name, and got my passport changed as soon as we reached the 12 week countdown, got it back within 10 days. Just make sure you aren't going to need it before the wedding.

It's very exciting yet strange booking things in your new name! Any problems, give me a shout x

• G
    Beginner October 2016
    Galbear ·
    • Hide content

Oh that's fab - thanks so much for that NoMoore, much appreciated Smiley smile.

Excited to book our honeymoon now!!

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Just to confirm what others have said -

My Passport expired in June, so I've had a new one post-dated in my married name. So I'm going on honeymoon with my new name. We booked in January and I got my Passport in October, just needed to go online and add my API once I got it. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you need a visa or some sort of pre-entry clearance then you may not be able to obtain it until your Passport becomes valid, i.e. your wedding day.

I need an ESTA to visit the US for the second part of our honeymoon, and I can't apply until wedding day.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't get a choice. My dad has very kindly booked our flights for us and it's all in my maiden name! Oh well, I only had a new passport last year so could do without paying for another one so soon!

• G
    Beginner October 2016
    Galbear ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated! Smiley smile

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't know about that bit, thanks SPC. We are also going to the US for our honeymoon so I shall make a note in my diary to do the ESTA after the wedding. Fortunately we have nearly 3 weeks between wedding and honeymoon.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I'm booked under my maiden name - we are going to America and also I have quite a while left on my passport. We already have our 2017 holiday planned though and I'm looking forward to booking that in my married name Smiley smile

Beginner April 2016
    *Nik* ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack the post but with regards to the ESTA how long does it take to be approved and get it? I have booked my honeymoon (to the US) in my new name so just want to make sure I have time to sort it!

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

They say to allow at least 72 hours, but I've always found if I apply and then log back in a few minutes later then it is approved.

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Here's a link to the form you need to fill out and more information about what to do if you wish to travel in your married name: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/marriage-and-civil-partnership

I'm also going to the US for my honeymoon and have booked in my married name, it was so weird seeing our first bit of mail drop through the door addressed to Mr & Mrs New name, very exciting!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics