Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Dedicated August 2023 South Yorkshire

Booking suppliers before the Registrar

Sloufish, 28 of May of 2021 at 20:05 Posted on Planning 0 12

Good evening lovely Brides and Grooms to be,

I am wondering if I am being over excited/anxious and wanting to book my caterers now we have a venue booked, before I book a registrar. Our wedding is over 2yrs (26months) away but suppliers are already taking bookings and as I am sure you are aware booking faster due to the unpausing of the wedding industry. Our local registry office states on their website booking available up to two years in advance.

Am I crazy booking our preferred caterers before booking and confirming a registrar? Do you think that I could/should submit a registrar form anyway and see if they reply now?

Any advice appreciated!

Overly anxious bride- S x

12 replies

Latest activity by Sloufish, 31 of May of 2021 at 19:27
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    There’s no harm in contacting the registrar and see if they can even just pencil your date in. If they can’t book in for over 2 years before then least you know that that date isn’t booked yet as no one can book it.
    If the caterers are the ones you want and you know they are being booked up fast then I’d book them now.
    Always better to be over prepared.
    If you can’t book the registrar on the date you have booked everything then there’s always ways around it like getting a friend to officiate it etc.
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    If the registrar isn’t taking bookings in advance of 2 years then no one else will be able to book them either. But your supplier might well be booked by that point. I say go ahead and secure the supplier you want but make sure you’re quick off the mark once the registrar bookings open.
  • S
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! I was worried I was over reacting and rushing into things but you have made me feel better and see sense! x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It would be worth a call to the registrar to explain the situation and ask their advice. They might be prepared to pencil the date in provisionally or give you the earliest date on which they would accept bookings, so that you could make a note to ring them the first moment it becomes possible to book your date.

Worst case scenario: if the registrar books up on your day, you could go ahead with the reception and even get someone to officiate a wedding 'blessing' or 'celebration', but you would have to do the legal marriage bit on another day - this may or may not be something that you would consider doing.

It does depend on how big the registry office is and how many registrars are available.

• Luxuriouspinkcars60789
    Curious October 2022 Cheshire
    Luxuriouspinkcars60789 ·
    • Hide content
    You should contact your registrars sooner rather than later. My wedding is October 2022, I booked my venue and a couple of suppliers. I went to book the registrar a couple of weeks ago for my 2pm ceremony only to be told they had no o available for that time. there was a 12pm slot on the same day. The earlier start time has been stressing me out since. If you have your heart set on a day and time, then book as early as you can.
  • Luxuriouspinkcars60789
    Curious October 2022 Cheshire
    Luxuriouspinkcars60789 ·
    • Hide content
    I should also mention..if you’re not already aware - you can actually book the registrar up to 3 years in advance of your wedding date xx
  • S
    Curious August 2018
    SpecialEdition1987 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It varies from office to office. Some Register Offices only book 2 years in advance, some don't. It's down to how their diaries are organised.
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    My local registrar only takes bookings 12 months in advance so I would urge people to check their individual register offices! X
  • S
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I would be way too anxious about this! I'm bad enough now! Are you booking everything else and this just when you are able? x

• S
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I am going to book the caterer and then keep everything crossed! x

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I'm having everything in one place so I have a provisional booking with the venue already (I'm not getting married til Oct 2023). The only other things I'll need to book will be photographer and cake maker. I'll be looking at them probably early next year, so round about 18months before. The registrar I have no choice with which sucks, I'm just hoping when it comes time they have my date available! X
  • S
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will keep everything crossed for you! You sound very organised! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics