Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner November 2015

Booking your registrar

Bridally, 28 of August of 2014 at 08:37 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi Everyone,

we were told by quite a few venues you can only book your registrar 12 months to the date of your wedding. I've seen people post on here that they have booked their registrar with more than 12 months to go. Can anyone help me out with this one? Should I be ringing now to try and book for next November?

thanks! Smiley smile

17 replies

Latest activity by Bridally, 2 of September of 2014 at 10:39
  • Nature Bride
    Beginner August 2015
    Nature Bride ·
    • Hide content

My BM told me that too, but we just phoned up and booked it no problem irrespective of the date! I think it depends which council district you live in.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Oh thanks so much! I'm going to try and give them a ring today!! Will be very anoying if we can book onw and don't manage to get the time we want as we booked our venue in June

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the area. We booked ours more than 2 years before the date. I've heard lots of councils that will only take bookings up to 12 months before. Call them!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

With many venues taking bookings for well over 12 months in advance, it does make sense for registrars to be able to pencil you in too.

Our local registry office took our booking 15 months in advance, and we paid a non-refundable deposit. This basically holds the date, although we couldn't give formal notice - ie pay the legal fee and formally declare our intent to marry, until the 12 month mark.

It will vary from district to district, but I think more and more are taking reservations with a deposit, ahead of formally giving notice.

• NorthSouthGirl
    Beginner November 2014
    NorthSouthGirl ·
    • Hide content

Hallo!

We phoned ours to check as we live out of the area we are getting married in. They did a provisional booking for us 18months beforehand which enabled us to secure the venue and time/date we wanted then in the 12month beforehand we booked it 'properly' and got our marriage banns to send to them to confirm everything.

We were also told that we could only book our appointment to meet the Superintendant Registrar 8 weeks before the wedding but we emailed them on the off chance last week (13 week before) and explained we needed a Thurs/Fri or Mon appointment due to travelling and they booked us in anyway.

Good luck!

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for everyone’s reply! Think I’m silly for now worrying I won’t get the time I want as we are still 14 ½ months away and it’s not peak wedding season! But I need to get on the phone sharpish today to see if we can provisionally book. Glad I asked now. Thanks ladies Smiley smile

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I booked mine at the time of booking my venue (around April this year) so that was over 2 years till our wedding date. I was surprised when I did ring up that several times were already gone. This left us with 2 times on the day to chose from. Either 4pm or 12.30pm. We didn't want a particularly late wedding so opted for the 12,30 slot.

Hope you manage to get booked in ok Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Oh bloody hell that has worried me now haha!! We’re in Lancashire so if anyone can shed any light on that county that would be great!

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

We've booked ours (18 months in advance), but you can only give notice 12 months before, maybe that's what they meant?

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

It depends on your Registrar.

The first time I got married (Staffordshire) I was able to book the Registrar more than 12 months in advance.

This time I'm getting married in Oxfordshire and can't book the Registrar more than 14 (yes 14) months in advance.

As someone mentioned above though, you can only give notice less than 12 months in advance.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

As above, it varies from between different districts. Mine pencilled us in 18 months in advance but would only confirm our booking once we'd given notice in the district where we live, which we couldn't do until a year before.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

We were able to book our time and date over 2 years in advance!! Just have to make an appointment at the one year mark to give notice (EEE CANT WAIT)!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

We orginally booked our wedding for June but when we called the registrar in March they were fully booked (15 months in advance) the only Saturday they had free was 4th July at 3pm so we chose then. We gave notice this month but if I was u I would call ASAP to reserve the date. We're in Leeds so not a million miles from u xx

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Im pretty sure you can book it now if your in rochdale,lancs as my mum was looking into it for me.

but i just booked my registrar in nottingham, (were i now live) on tuesday and we got the last slot for the 2nd july 2016.

We are getting married at 1pm Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner September 2015
    Pink1986 ·
    • Hide content

Hi leannael

Are you using Preston registra? We are and they will only take bookings a max 12 months in advance, I called them when we booked our venue in June, and made the OH call them a month after just in case Smiley smile and we were both told them same thing, they've said of we call exactly 12 months before at 9am once they open we should have no problems getting the time we want

Xxx

• MrsAppleby2B
    Beginner June 2015
    MrsAppleby2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Lancashire - Burnley and I could only book mine 12 months before. I'm getting married in June and I phoned 1st thing in the morning on the 13th this year and got the time I wanted 2pm xx

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

We have just booked our registrar yesterday for sept 12 next year. Our council takes bookings 3 years in advance and for saturdays in sept they only had one slot left at the time we wanted, so we took it! We have paid 100 pounds deposit and cant actually give formal notice of marriage more than 12 months in advance so just have to wait a few weeks before we can make the appointment.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah great to hear from a fellow Lancashire gal - I'm from Burnley too!! Where are you getting married? I was getting worried the person I had spoken to at the council had given me the wrong info! Great I will put it in my diary to ring early on 14th Nov this year! xx

Thanks again to everyone who replied! you wonderful people!! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics