Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gurzle
Beginner April 2013

Border line changes on smear test

Gurzle, 11 September, 2011 at 10:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Morning everyone...

Yesterday I got a letter saying that my most recent smear test showed border line changes, and whilst it was likely that they would return to normal by themselves, I have to go for another smear test in six months time.

I was really scared yesterday, but I feel better today as I realise that this is very common ... I have to say, the waiting until March is pretty horrible, much as my voice of reason tells me not to worry, I know deep down I am quite frightened.

I just wondered if anyone else on here had had a letter like this? And how/if you managed to put it out of your mind for six months?

13 replies

Latest activity by Vee Tee, 13 September, 2011 at 00:14
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I've had that same letter loads of times. The best thing to do is to forget about it, don't worry until you know you have something to worry about!

Try and get on with your life as much as you can, and then go back in your 6 months and get your test re-done

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Thank you - the leaflet that came with the letter said that this happens on about 1 in 12 tests, so I thought that, statistically, someone on here must have had the same thing happen to them, too.

I know that there's nothing to worry about...and even if I DO have to have further treatment, that this would be preventative rather than anything else, but it will help to hear that others have been through it too and are fine and dandy!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I had this letter a few years ago. I went back six months later and everything had returned to normal. I had to go for a smear every year for 3 years after the all clear one, each of those has been normal and now I'm back to going every few years (or whatever the recommended amount is, can't quite remember!). As my OH said, it's better to have an eye kept on this sort of thing pretty much for the reasons you say - if there was anything that needed to be done it would be in order to prevent further problems,

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I have to have annual smears due to problems i've had in the past.

I have to time when I have my smear tests very carefully, as just a few days can make the difference between a clear and borderline change result (due to hormones).

I have to go as close as possible to 15 days after the 1st day of my period,

Try not to worry Hun xxx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I have had results like this for the past 4-5 years Smiley sad

I tend to just go 'oh it will be fine' and forget about it. I have had roughly 3 per year, and of all those in 4/5 years have had only 2 normal results. My last 2 were OK, but they have still called for me after 4-6 months, and I am due to book again.

Hopefully you will be fine! Try not to worry. My nurse said it is very common and lots of factors come in to it, such as age and motherhood.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

You are all so kind to take the time to answer this - honestly, it really means a lot to hear all of your experiences. Thank you so much xx

• *willow*
    Beginner
    *willow* ·
    • Hide content

I had the same and at my follow up they had progressed to cin 3 so they sent me to have the lletz procedure (remove the offending cells) The doc was very much 'this is not cancer' she said if you left the cells at this level in 10 years time there may be a small chance that the cells could progress to cancer cells - so with regular smears it would never get that far. I have my re-check in october.

Try not to worry the chances are they will go back to normal xx

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

It so common, but still so scary, I rememeber recieveing the same letter and I couldnt think of nothing else, I was so worried even though I knew deep down I would be ok. I had to have 3 6 monthly "normal" smears, then they would resume to every 3 years, thankfully I did and my next smear isnt until 2013 thank god! You will be fine, the fact that they are border line changes means that if the worst case happened, you will just have the abnormal cells lasered and you'll be fine.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I have had this before, and have even had to have cells lazered (cant remeber what this process is called...something oscopy im sure) and although unpleasant, id rather that and be sure everythings ok. because of this i have to go every 6mths for a test, again rather this then something go left untreated.

dont worry...its better to be safe then sorry!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Thank you again girls - I am at work at the moment, and it does keep crossing my mind, and I cannot tell you how much it means to me to read your experiences and your words of encouragement.

Really, REALLY making me feel better ?

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLove ·
    • Hide content

I got this letter about 18 months ago after 2 'abnormal smears'. I had to go for a colposcopy - just an advanced smear and I swear to god I felt sick for a month before!!! However even though it was unpleasant it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I had to have another of these as it came back CN1 again, but my last colposcopy came back normal and I am due to get my last smears results tomorrow night which, if normal again, I get released from the hospital and have to go for another 1 or 2 smears at the docs and if all clear then back to normal I think. I swear the majority of people I talk to have had issues with CN1's or had to have treatment etc. Just try to forget about it, I think your mind wanders onto the worst case scenario but after the first check up I had (where I was horrific!!) I don't really think about it until the day before so try to relax. Even thought these check up's are awful, they are much better than the alternative aren't they?! ?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this - this has made me feel very normal! I have to say, I am feeling so much better about it now.

xxx

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Aw gosh I'm still quite new to smears and things in fact I've only been twice so far as I was a big wimp and ignored my letters for 4 years, then my friend who was just turning 20 got her first letter so we decided we both better go - both the ones I've had were ok, but my friend got an abnormal one this last time and she was terrified like you gurzle, but she managed to make it through the 6 months and the second time round it was ok, the nurse had actually managed to hurt her and made her bleed quite a bit which the nurse that did the repeat test said she thought probably caused the abnormal result.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics