Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2009

Bought a second hand dress from ebay and it's grubby!

sarahv75, 15 January, 2010 at 15:04 Posted on Planning 0 32

My dress has just arrived and i'm soooo disappointed. It's a second hand one so I know it's not gonna be perfect, but the description says it has been professionally dry cleaned and is as good as new! What a big fat lie.

It has quite a few marks on it which weren't mentioned in the description on ebay. So has it really been dry cleaned? The marks look like white wine stains, or maybe grease? I'm absolutely gutted as it cost £330 (it's a maggie sottero one) and i just can't wear it. The front of it is streaked - maybe wine? Wouldn't a dry cleaner be able to get that out?

Maybe i'm expecting too much of a second hand wedding dress [:'(]

32 replies

Latest activity by debs1701, 20 January, 2010 at 16:51
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, thats not good. If there were no mention of marks in the ad I would certainly complain that its not been sold true to its word...........

I would have thought a dry cleaner would have at least tried to get marks out, would the seller have a proof of reciept of this being done?

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

Oh thats such a shame! i would get in touch with the seller and complain about it being sold to you with these marks on it. have a hug ? x

• MrsRegantobe
    Beginner November 2010
    MrsRegantobe ·
    • Hide content

That is totally unacceptable ☹️. I've seen a few sites selling second hand wedding dresses and just because they've been worn once they shouldn't be grubby. I would tell the buyer your unhappy and why and say you want your money back. If she gets funny you really should be able to take it up with ebay or paypal. You can not pay for goods that aren't as sold. I really hope you get on ok - let us know how you get on.

?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, thats not very fair, id bring it up with the seller and see if you can return it for a refund, if not, bring it up with ebay as its not as they described!

Make sure you take some picutres as proof before resending and keep copies of all emails etc!

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I just feel so horrible! It's just been thrown into some random box too so is all creased.

I've bought and sold on ebay loads of times and this is the first bad thing that's happened. If it was me selling I'd take close up photos of all the marks/stains so the buyer was totally aware!

I'll email the seller and see what she says. H2B is not going to be happy...

Also just noticed that the label says size 10, but the ebay description says 12/14! I'll have to try it on and see what size it actually is.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Sarah - is it an US dress - a 10 there would be a 12-14 here?

I'd take a pic asap as otherwise she could claim you put the stains there.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG didn't think of that - will get the camera out now, although not much natural light left here.

Yes it's from the US - thanks ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

You could take it to a cleaners for an opinion, but I know you can pay £100 for a wedding dress to be cleaned.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I'd open an 'item not as described' dispute, ou will more than likely get your money back. Therefore don't waste any more on getting it dry cleaned just yet.

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

This happened to me too (although can really only blame myself as she left me and my bridesmaid alone to look at the dress for as long as we wanted). How we missed the huge stain on the front (which looked like washed out red wine) i'll never know. I decided not to return it as i'd struggled to find the one I wanted and sent it off to a wedding dress cleaner. It came back good as new.

You could contact the seller and say its not as described, you want a refund and you will return or contact the seller saying not as described, you will have it professionally cleaned (again?) but will return if it doesn't come clean. Is it a dress that comes up fairly often on ebay? If you decide to try to have it cleaned I can recommend a good dry cleaner.

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you were expecting too much at all. If you buy something new or second hand off somewhere like ebay you expect it to arrive as described and in no other state. if there was no mention of stains then this should have clearly been pointed out in the description. professional wedding dress cleaners do their very best to remove all manner of stains and are considerably good at their job. The cleaning on this dress could have just been from the seller with a home dry cleaning kit, but I guess you'll never know unless you ask a professional for their opinion!! From what I've read, the seller has clearly mislead you with the description. Ebay is pretty hot on the description of goods. I agree that you should contact the seller first before leaving any negative feedback to give that seller the time to put things right whether this be a full refund or to send payment to you for you to have the dress professionally cleaned. If the stains don't come out, then you should be entitled to a full refund on the basis that the dress was not as described from the seller and they should be willing to give it ,given that its their profile that is effected by negative feedback (plus a potential ban from ebay for non-compliance with its set descriptive procedures) and within a reasonable amount of time too. Its just so awful that you've been so disappointed with what should have been the perfect dress of your dreams. Paypal are generally good at giving refunds but they do have to investigate first of course. It was a good idea about taking pics!! Just adds weight to your case.

I hope that you get it all sorted. x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You might be seriously surprised at how dirty a dress can get in 12 hours! Mine doesn't have stains to be seen I don't think but it would be so easily done with all those guests standing with glasses in their hands giving you a quick congratulations hug. The underneath of my dress is really bad and the train has stains.

I'd email the seller now saying you aren't happy as the goods haven't been described properly and if you don't get a good enough answer open an ebay dispute straight away. I guess you paid through paypal so you should get your money back if you have a copy of the item description and take photos of the real state of the dress.

I really hope you get your money back or the seller refunds you enough money for it to be dry cleaned.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

If you don't get anthing back from the seller and you paid through paypal you can get your money back from them upto £500..let us know how you get on x

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

PurrfectGems, was the underneath of your dress and train still bad after dry cleaning? The dress I have here has black hems!! Surely even if dry cleaning couldn't get rid of the black, it'd at least take some of it out so it was grey rather than black?

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

TBH i don't understand how people can have the heart to sell something in that type of condition!!!

Tell them you want your money back as they should of mentioned the staining etc!!!

If not then take up a case!

Thats awful!

xxx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Sarah I don't know as I didn't get my dry cleaned. I have stuffed it into a box for now as it's expensive to get it dry cleaned so I'll wait until I have spare money. I don't plan on selling my dress so not really fussed about the marks. I would expect at least the marks under the train to come out though as that is just normal dirt.

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not right if they've said its not stained.

BUT, I had planned to sell my dress so paid the £80 to have it cleaned. It never got anywhere near clean. The hem is black and there is a pollen stain on the train from my lillies. There were other marks on it that have come clean but its no where near good enough to sell. When I mentioned this to the company that cleaned it, they said the material was too delicate for them to use any more powerful chemicals on. If I signed a disclaimer, they'd try but it wasn't worth it. Its one thing to have my beautiful dress stained but quite another to see it ruined by chemicals.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Which dry cleaner did you use? I'm in Suffolk.

I emailed the seller last night and she's replied saying she's sorry I feel that way, and that it was dry cleaned and has been boxed up for a while. She said she's happy to send me £30 towards getting it cleaned.

I haven't replied yet as I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll contact a dry cleaner and see if they think the marks will come out. It'll cost a lot more than £30 though! Thing is, I've tried the dress on a couple of times now and it's just so beautiful I've fallen in love with it... I woke up this morning hoping the marks had disappeared overnight!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I don't think £30 is a fair amount when she never said in the description about the marks so you were expecting a near perfect dress. I'd email back and say you don't feel that is enough. I think to get it cleaned will be around £100 if not more.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Thing is, she says it was dry cleaned after her wedding. So is it worth trying again if it didn't work the first time?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Is there anybody else selling the same dress on ebay???

the bottom line here is that shes sold something with a description that does not match and this is unacceptable. The fact that she has offered you £30 is laughable, cos if she'd already got it dry-cleaned herself (as she stated) then she'll already know that this does not got any way towards the total cost of cleaning the dress.

Its really up to you what you want to do. It might be worth taking to a dry-cleaners for an opinion and price - they might even be able to tell if it has been dry-cleaned before???? Anyways, from there if they say it needs done again and the stains will come out then you have to get a price and go back to the seller and tell them.

Good luck with it all!!!

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

Oh Sarah, what a horrible situ!

I agree with Gillsy and the others, I would go to a dry cleaners for an opinion and tell them that it's allegedly been cleaned before, they should be able to give you a good indication of whether or not the marks will come out.

I also think £30 it a bit poor, I've never had a wedding dress cleaned, but I also think it's in th £80-£100 mark to have it done properly. It's really unacceptable that the seller didn't tell you about the marks, that's not on!

I hope you get all sorted out x

(I am desperate to see a pic of you in the dress though!)

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Hey all, thanks for all the advice. I've decided to return it to the seller and not bother to get it dry cleaned. I'm just worried that the dry cleaners won't be able to get all of the marks out and then I'll still be disappointed and have wasted my money.

So it's back to the drawing board for me... I only have 14 weeks til I get married now though, so I really need to get a move on!

Oh, and I've just been looking on the preloved website and the girl has already advertised the dress on there (it's still here with me)! She hasn't mentioned the marks at all so I just hope the next prospective buyer asks all the right questions and she's honest enough to answer, or she'll have another return on her hands!

Just goes to show that she knew she was sending me a dress that was nowhere near 'as good as new'.

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think its horrible that someone did that to you, and then is still willing to do it to someone else. Have you got any bridal factory outlets near you, I've just got my dress from one. This way the cost is reduced and you actually get to see the dress before you buy it.

Hope you find a dress soon x

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

Oh Sarah, I know you must be really disappointed bit it sounds like that's for the best, Im glad your getting your money back.

What dress was it you bought? Can you flash a picture and we can help you find something? xx

(and I think that's shocking on the girls behalf! She should be ashamed of herself!!)

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Get your money back first before you send it back!!!!!!!!

Or, ask for half before you post it and then she gives you the other half on receipt. God knows what she will try to do...... and if theres anyway you can warn brides on pre-loved then I'd do it.... how can she advertise something shes not got in her possession yet??? She might take their money and not send them anything........a scamming 'bride' perhaps??

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Missdeedee that's so nice of you! The dress was Celine by Maggie Sottero. It's been discontinued now and there aren't that many 2nd hand ones around. I've seen a couple of other ones I really like too, so maybe i'll get lucky! Will definitely be asking a lot more questions this time though. Don't want to get my fingers burnt again.

teehee I'm going to email the preloved team and ask them if there's anything they can do.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Just a note on the preloved thing, I'd make sure you get your own money back first -you don't want her turning nasty on you and refusing to refund. Also ensure you get proof of delivery and the photos to show the marks - I'm sure you have already looked, but is there anything on the second hand sales here? (maybe I'm hopelessly naive but I like to think hitched ladies would be more honest!)

• Mrs Tonner 2010
    Beginner June 2010
    Mrs Tonner 2010 ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Maggie-Sottero-Celine-Wedding-Dress-Gown-size-6-8-10_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140172042955

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, i've seen this one before but i think it's a fake! It doesn't have the 3 lines of crystals going all the way down on the underskirt.

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah

I have a friend (became a friend after filming her wedding ) is selling her maggie dress I have some pics and footage (on website of it under Chelle & Mark) I think it would be a size 10 UK but has a corsetted back really stunning... here's a pic

The back

It's maggies Krystalyn Marie dress. It might not be you but cup of tea but no harm in recommending it.

I hope you find something very soon.

Tracey x

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

What about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140356127592?hash=item20ade08b68

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250562057464?hash=item3a56a994f8

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups