Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2012

Boyfriend wants stag weekend but complaining about taking time off for honeymoon

happyharp, 19 of February of 2012 at 08:38 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 8

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I could really do with outside opinions on my issue above. My boyfriend and I got engaged last April 2011. Around this time we agreed to get married in May 2012 and that he also wanted to go back to uni and do an MA (we are both in our 30s). My sister got married during her MA and I have done one (so I know how much work is involved). However, over the last couple of months my bf has been complaining about the time he would have to take off for his MA for our honeymoon. Inititally I agreed to a delayed 1 month honeymoon but then changed my mind. I did so because I thought a delayed h/moon would be too much like a holiday. Also, I've compromised here and there already on the ceremony (civil over chapel ceremony) and felt it was too much on his terms. So I encouraged him to speak to his lecturers and they were supportive about the fact he was getting married so he came back more positive and we agreed a 2 week honeymoon straight after. Last night he started to complain again and asked me to reconsider. He said if he went he would be anxious and stressed the whole time. Now this was kind of a threat for me to cave in to him, as when we go on holiday he can be horribly argumentative. I felt really upset inside but said I would only think about it as it was late at night and I didn't want to stress about it then. This morning I have woken up annoyed again. He knew he was getting married AND doing an MA. Also, he is having a stag weekend and not thinking at all about compromising on that. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks

happyharps

8 replies

Latest activity by moonstone, 25 of February of 2012 at 19:40
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hi, if you repost this in the main wedding planning forum, you'll get replies Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner January 2012
    donjon ·
    • Hide content

I must say it is nice and informative share

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing a BA and we are getting married on 12th May. We are delying the Honeymoon by ten days for me to finish my coursework and exams for the trimester. There is no way I could relax on Honeymoon knowing that I was going back to exams and other deadlines - I would have to spend half my time studying.

• P
    Beginner
    pritighij ·
    • Hide content

Really missing the that situation which make the lovely memorable moment to the couples

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Have you asked him why hes not worried about taking time off for the stag weekend but is for the honeymoon? I understand hes got work but like you've said, you've compromised a lot. Its your day too. Sounds like you need to be a bit more upfront about how you feel with him.

Good luck!

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, thanks for your post. Can I just ask (politely) why you chose your wedding date during a busy study time? We chose ours because we thought this was the best time during the MA and the worst time would be towards the end in September. BA's are structured somewhat differently to postgrads in terms of workload. Are you both having long weekends away for your hen/stag during this time too or are you doing this earlier at all? Lots of factors combined together with this that leave me unhappy with our situation.

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi HayleyMay,

Yes, I have tried from many angles to raise this issue. I think it's unfair that I'd have to delay the honeymoon whilst he has a weekend away before the wedding too. He is not questioning this weekend at all. If he was saying to his mates the stag would have to take place much earlier or be a night out I'd understand. But when he says this is a crucial time of year and needs to delay the honeymoon but not the stag I'm not feeling okay about it. I just wanted to know if any one else would feel like this. It's not eh fact he has essays to write or the fact he says he wants a delayed honeymoon; it's the fact he has said he wouldn't enjoy it if we went but yet doesn't do anything to rein in the stag before the wedding. His friends will be organising and expecting debauchery. We are both in our mid 30s. It takes a week to recover these days. So I feel he's factoring in losing a week post stag but now wants to take it off the honeymoon instead.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are lots of replies in the main forum

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    moonstone ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I can see why your upset but I can also see your h2b point of view too. I'm a teacher as is my hubby to be and I know I would chill out and relax better in the long summer holidays when work is properly over for a honeymoon. We planned our wedding quite late so summer dates were quite booked up already. So we decided to get married in the Easter Holidays on Easter Sunday. We are planning a minimoon afterwards to Budapest a 5 star hotel for a few days because we have to go back to school. Then in the summer we are going to have our honeymoon going some where a little further afield. Had you thought about suggesting that? You understably want to spend some time with h2b after the wedding. I'm sure h2b could switch off from MA stuff for a weekend as he is already having a weekend away for his stag do. Then you also get two honeymoons instead of one! And something lovely to look forward to after the wedding. Hope you get it sorted soon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics