Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

bra fitting stories

13 April, 2012 at 11:26 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 27

A friend and I were talking yesterday about our bra fitting experiences - she's had a pretty easy time of it, her favourite places are Calvin Klein and Debenhams, whereas I've had some truly nightmarish ones! Where would you recommend/ not recommend to get fitted?

27 replies

Latest activity by spikeygoodness, 13 April, 2012 at 22:31
  • 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I usually go to Debenhams and they are fab. When i was in getting my wedding underwear the ladies were really nice and helpful. Although i wasn't too sure if i appreciated standing with the door open while my mum/aunts and the sales ladies all gushed over how gorgeous my figure was...

Haven't had any bad experiences. although i did go to La Senza once and felt a bit uncomfortable with them.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I've never in my life been to get myself fitted for a bra. I really should. Maybe I'll go when I get my wedding underwear.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Marks and Spencers - a hideous experience when I was v young getting my first bra where she measured me on the shop floor, not in the changing room. Could cry even now thinking about it!

I was not measured again until I was 27 and in a job with a lingerie company where I had to be measured. I actually was wearing the right size when I was measured, so I obviously had managed fine myself over the years to fit myself.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I will never forget a hideous experience in M&S a few years ago when i moved back from London, when the women stuck her hand IN the bra she had fitted for me and lifted my boobles up into to cup a bit more ?

debenahsm ahve alwasy been good IMO

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Never been bra fitted myself, but that's because I used to work on the lingerie section of Debs and was a bra fitter myself. But lots of people used to come in and complain about M&S and the service they had received.

Flow, can't believe she actually put her hand in your bra ? Crazy woman!

I did have lots of older ladies that would strip off completely and then call me in the changing room though! ? Not what you need to see at 18/19!!! Hehehehe. *shakes head* the images never leave you!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Bravissimo have always been the best for me. La Senza was okay but they didn't really do my bra size at the time so just told me I was the size closest to my actual size which they had in store.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I remember once I was pressured by my Mum into being "measured" at a stall at the National Wedding Show a few years ago (we were there with now SIL). I KNEW the bras didn't go small enough, but Mum insisted while SIL was too.

The girl didn't measure at all. She guessed. I told her that I was a 32. She put me into a 32C, - the smallest cup they did - which I was nowhere near filling, and then promptly told me that I was definitely a 32 but that's all she could tell me. The shame. Pointless, near-naked shame.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Ive never been fitted but I looked on the La senza guide online and measured myself. by their instructions im a 34AA. I wear a 34DD...

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I went to Debenhams and got measured after a similar thread on WP a few months ago, where someone said that they were suprised that as an 8-10 on top I was wearing a 34. My 34 was feeling quite loose so I went into Debenhams and she told me I should be a 36. There's no way I'm a 36 back.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

? 36? No way. Shame on that person!!! Rule of thumb is size 8-10 = 32 back! 34 at most. I can't believe they said that Smiley sad

• BlueBow
    Beginner December 2013
    BlueBow ·
    • Hide content

I had a horror at m&s too- the lady shouted at me for wearing the wrong size even after I explained to her that I knew the size wasn't right now cos my booblees had grown significantly since coming off the injection. I then explained she had been te one who measured me only 3 months before, walked out and went to Debenhams where I've never had a problem!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Used to use M&S but found them rubbish then switched to Debenhams until I found Bravissimo - the girls in there (Cambridge) are amazing. They don't use tape measures & get it spot on everytime.

Bravissimo isn't for everyone mind - you need quite a bit of boobage to start with.

• J
    Beginner May 2012
    Jolene2012 ·
    • Hide content

Ther certainly seems to be an M&S horror story pattern emerging here! My M&S story involved me overhearing one assistant refer to me to another as a 'Stupid Cow' my very embarrassed daughter refusing to go in M&S ever again!! And me being offered some free lingerie as an apology.

On a more positive note, I can't speak highly enough of the ladies that work in Leia in York, they're brilliant!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I have never had my noorks measured.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nor have I - I'd die of embarrassment but Im sure at a 34B I dont need measuring

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I once had mine done at a small branch of M&S. I had had them done the week before but was just making sure and my Mum was getting done and they weren't busy so I thought HeyHo, why not. I'm a 36D They said I was a 40E My Mum has tiny tiny boobs and is an A cup and hers came out at a D. I dont know what this woman was on. Terrible really some people may go ahead and buy things from her, luckily we knew what was what. Mum was delighted to be a D for the day. M&S generally are good though, they fitted my wedding underwear and it was perfect.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Just tried 3 online bra calculators and they all said 34B so I definitely don't need to put myself through the horrors you guys are talking about

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My younger sister developed earlier than me, and overtook me for many years. I didn't catch up till I was about 24, and even then she is still a 32G to my 34D!

I get measured by the girls at work (they fit maternity bras, not just any girls at work!!) or Ann Summers of all places (there is a lovely girl in there who really knows what she is doing!!)

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I had my best experience at La Senza. Again, awful at M&S - didn't do much more than look at me and announced me a 34 A or B.

La Senza, and all my new bra's are a 32D.

Pfft....

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

I was told in la senza that i had "hollow" breasts at the top - polite for saggy. She then said it was due to breastfeeding etc. I tried 18...yes 18 bras on before i found 1 that fit. Think she got to the point where she just guessed the sizes. I was trying about 4 different sizes on! I went in saying i was a 32C and 18 bras later i left with a 32C!!! I looked out the curtain to ask the sales lady for the bra hanger after the last 1 i tried fitted and I saw the girl dancing on the spot mouthing hurray to her friend in the shop and then mouthing "Thank F**k". If i didnt need the bra so much I would have left it!

I got meassured in Debenhams recently and they tried to tell me is was a 34DD! I only just fill a C cup and I fall out the bottom of 34's!

Me and my 'hollow breasts' dont get on well with finding new bras!

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

M&s were particularly crap for me too. No manhandling, just a total lack of ability to do sizing. I don't like their bras for bigger sizes anyway, not least cause they skip ff for no good reason. Leia are very good, I second the praise for the one in York.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics