Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

Bra or no bra?

monkeynutter, 7 of July of 2014 at 09:40 Posted on Planning 0 19

I'm wearing a corset backed, lace up gown and up until yesterday, I didn't think I wanted to wear a bra.

having tried it on yesterday I am not so sure! I have e/f boobs and they feel secure but I feel like I have too much cleavage showing! I'm wondering whether a strapless bra would help me feel more comfortable!?

has anyone with big boobs!! Worn a strapless gown and if so do you have a pic to share so I can make myself feel more at ease! Less than 4 weeks to the wedding now so need to sort something!

(my dress has built in cups but feels like they were made for a c cup!

19 replies

Latest activity by ButterflyC, 29 of July of 2014 at 08:07
  • T
    Beginner November 2014
    Titchymichy ·
    • Hide content

I'd be interested to hear what other brides are doing or have found underwear wise. I'm 34G and I'm *terrified* of not wearing a bra, I'm struggling to find one that is strapless and low backed. Anyone got any ideas?

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    sal.mike ·
    • Hide content

As a small B I have the opposite problem- I worry I'll look like I have nothing, so I'm having boobs built in to the dress (hopefully) so no need for a bra. Could you not have something extra built in to hold the girls tighter? Seamstresses can work wonders I'm told.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Wander bra will be your best friend, myself, MOH and BM all have one each for the wedding and they both have big boobs and it offers amazing support and coverage. I think tier around £30 at debenhams.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think it entirely depends on the structure of the dress. I'm a 34F and didn't wear a bra and felt very well supported. My dress was strapless but it was quite a 'high' strapless.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

My dress is also strapless and I can't fit a 'proper' bra on under my dress (am a 34 DD) but am vaguely considering a stick on or, worst comes to the worst, some sort of nipple pasty just in case of wardrobe malfunction!

But my dress is a zip closure over a corset inside, and I don't wear a bra with a corset, so I might just make sure my sister laces me in very very tightly, possibly holding onto a bed post Titanic-style...!

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

My dress also has built in cups and is lace up. I was wearing my own bra also in this p
    ic and felt quite uncomfortable. However I might get a cotton strapless one soni dont feelmquite naked underneath. Im a 36f and woukd worry about falling out of my dress. I also think ifni wore a normal molded bra like in the photo it woukd make by boobs look huge! X

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mazza32 ·
    • Hide content

I had an absolute nightmare trying to find a strapless bra for my strapless dress, I'm a 40E having a bigger back really limited my choice, they were all huge backed bras and very high up on the breast and would be visible as I have a sweetheart neckline. In the end I went to my alterations lady without a bra, the lady is amazing! She said she will sort it all out so I won't need one and has reassured me. I go next week to try my dress again and I can't wait! The lady seems to really know her stuff so confident it will be fine. I get married in less than 4 weeks too, it's getting closer! Xx

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

Kharv- your dress is stunning!!

I'm an F, and not planning to wear a bra with my strapless, lace up dress. Strapless bras aren't that comfy and I just think it will create unnecessary lines under my dress

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

30G, no bra.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'm a 34E (if not a little bigger now!) and I definitely won't be wearing a bra with my strapless, lace up back dress. Strapless bras are a nightmare to find at the best of times, and the dress feels very secure, no fears of a wardrobe malfunction!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Is your dress corseted (i.e boned) or just lace-up back? I've always understood that you shouldn't wear a bra with a corseted dress, because the structure and wiring of the bra might not sit right with the corset and will get uncomfortable. If your dress is fully boned & laced up well, you shouldn't need a bra. However, if it's just a lace-up back and only has a couple of bones sewn in, then a bra might work.

• Soon2bMrsSmith
    Beginner July 2015
    Soon2bMrsSmith ·
    • Hide content

I am a A cup and really don't want to wear a bra. However it has a sweetheart neckline and might gape. Might have to get these built in boobs requested.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh thanks! Smiley smile

• bamboo
    Beginner September 2014
    bamboo ·
    • Hide content

I've been worrying about this and have been trying on strapless bras. No matter what cup or band I've tried on they have all failed the jump test and made no difference to my boobs. Looked like the bras were just sitting on my boobs and did no lifting. I even tried on the Wonderbra which slipped down even when I went a size down in the band.

If you've guys have had good luck with no bras then I might see if this option would work for me.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    monkeynutter ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.

i went and bought a strapless bra from debenhams but it actually has clear straps (I'm wearing a bolero so can get away with it) my boobs feel a lot better with this but it gives me a roll of back fat :/

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Probably a bit late with a reply on this but dealing every day with ladies who are all over a size 16 (though not necessarily all with a large bust) I come across this quite often.

Its not so much a question of shall I/shall I not wear a bra (regardless of what size you are) but whether there is enough structure and support in the gown you have bought to support your bust. A gaping dress needs altering so that the front of the dress is bought in over the bust (NOT pulled tighter at the back to try and tighten it, this will just give you back boobs). A sagging dress is because the bodice of the gown has no supporting boning in it and regardless of how big your bust is the dress will just want to slip. Kharv's gorgeous Justin Alexander gown is an extremely well made dress with a very large amount of boning and support. It has bust cups built into the dress (as do all Justin Alexander) and has a moderately high neckline, making sure there's not too much cleavage on show. Its also straight, not sweetheart, which is a great answer if you are worried about showing too much. A cheap dress that does not have enough fabric from under the bust and up over the cup will always give the "Jordan" look.

If you are larger busted look for a dress that first and foremost has structure to it. Sonsie by Veromia are designed for larger ladies and have the most amazing corset and support. Their dresses aren't particularly blingy because they focus the money on fit and structure but it is easy to bling up a dress with a belt, jewellery, or a pretty veil and hairpiece.

If you are planning on wearing a bra Wonderbra Ultimate Strapless is one of the best we have come across. It isnt cheap at £34 from Debenhams, and it only goes up to a G cup, but we have had several brides choose them and comment on how good they are.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Kharv your dress is beautiful. Love the colour! I'm a 32G and haven't been dress shopping yet but have been really worried about a dress with a lot of detail over the boobs in case it made them look mahoosive but your dress is very flattering!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    monkeynutter ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou, my dress is anna sorrano, so not top end. It does have built in breast cups and i felt fine until last week, my wedding is in 19 days so not enough time to get it altered now! Feeling very stressed about it Smiley sad

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

They dont have to be expensive to be good quality though, Veromia gowns start at about £500 and looking at the Anna Sorrano the dresses look very well made.

In terms of time, ive had brides that havent had a dress at 19 days to go to the wedding so I think you may be surprised how much you could get done in that time! One of our most usual alterations is to add a halterneck to a dress. It doesnt cost much, takes away the bareness of the shoulders and offers a little more support of you have a larger bust. By tapering is to narrow as it goes round the back of the neck it gives the illusion of narrowing the shoulders and making the neck look longer too. Any decent seamstress can do the alteration for you, plus if you are having the dress shortened there is usually enough fabric off the bottom of the dress to make a strap.

• ButterflyC
    Beginner July 2016
    ButterflyC ·
    • Hide content

If any of you are still looking for bridal lingerie have you seen http://www.butterflycorsets.co.uk/Product/List/Bridal_Lingerie even if you're not wearing a bra or corset under your dress have you though about wedding night lingerie? Here to help if you have any questions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics