Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jaz
Beginner

Brace wearers

jaz, 29 of April of 2009 at 13:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

I have in the last couple of years noticed my front teeth are quite wonky and sticky outy (I hadn't really noticed until I saw some photos - I rarely smile with teeth in photos as Ihave a terrible chin!) and now they really annoy me. My dentist always said he felt I didn't need braces as a teenager and stuff but I've been looking into invisalign braces and the possibility of whitening while you do it and wondered if anyone had any experience of these or other adult braces?

Fangs Fanks

5 replies

Latest activity by Doughnut, 29 of April of 2009 at 18:51
  • I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

I am a year less a week off having my braces off and I now love my smile, whereas I hated it before, like you I also I hated my chin...

I got them put on October 2006 so had approx 18 months of them but I think it is so worth it now, to the extent that my mum is now on week 16 (I think) of invisalign braces to correct her teeth (mum came with me to my last few appointments and she was chatting to my ortho about them)

If you can find a good ortho with a reccommendation its worth a chat, there is also a forum for adults with braces - https://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/index.php

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks I love shoes, did you go for whitening as well? I've booked to see my dentist but think he'll end up fobbing me off but hopefully I don't need a referral form him?

I've seen places offering deal on finance and stuff and the prices seem to vary a lot so would be best just looking locally to see what's on offer!

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

I had 18 months of fixed braces plus jaw surgery and genioplasty (chin moved forward). I don't regret it one bit and would thoroughly recommend you get a referral to an orthodontist. Just be prepared for the possibility that you might not be suitable for Invisalign as it's not suitable for everyone. I also second the recommendation to have a look on Archwired, it's an excellent resource with a great forum.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

Meant to say I've had mine whitened too, but if you're going to get braces you want to wait until that's all done before thinking about whitening anyway.

• Morrigan
    Beginner July 2008
    Morrigan ·
    • Hide content

I took myself off to see an orthodontist must be getting on for 4 years ago now. I didn't have a referal from my dentist although the orthodontist did contact my dentist as I needed a couple of fillings around the same time so they needed to coordinate a bit.

I considered invisalign and lingual braces (which are like train tracks but on the backs of the teeth so you don't see them), but ended up going for almost standard train tracks, wires at the front but where the little blocks stuck to your teeth are clear instead of metal so it's less obvious. Obviously that meant I didn't get whitening at the same time, but it was the best option for me.

I'm so glad I did it, it was totally worth it!

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I've just done this. Although I went for the full on brace face metal brackets look:

Invisalign were too expensive and took too long, and my back teeth needed moving. I thought get em on, get em off quick. They were on for 5 months. It did take me a while to persuade my dentist to do it. Be prepared to take ID with you everywhere as no-one will serve you any booze ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics