Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

Braces

Becklarrr, 11 October, 2012 at 13:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

So I've just got back from the dentist and she has advised me to think about having braces again ☹️

I had them when I was about 15 for 8 months and didn't wear the retainer for long enough afterwards so gradually over the past 7 years my teeth have moved and now my dentist has said that if I leave it my two front teeth will gradually get further and further outwards (in other words i will have buck teeth).

They have this new thing for adults which is like a retainer but you wear it all the time however it will cost me £3,500 which I don't have. And normal train track braces will cost £1,500, again which I don't have!!

I don't know what to do! I'm not getting married for another 18 months so will have time to get them done but I can't magic money out of no where and if I save for them I'm getting closer to the wedding! ☹️ ☹️

I know there are more important things in the world but I'm self-conscious enough as it is so having braces at 22 will just add to that!

13 replies

Latest activity by Becklarrr, 12 October, 2012 at 08:58
  • Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

All my wisdom teeth have been taken out already and so the dentist doesn't want to have to take out anymore as I don't have "too many teeth" if that makes sense?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I would get a second opinion first. Then, if you do need the braces look at a 0% credit card to pay for them, and then pay it off before the interest free period expires.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ouch, thats expensive!

i always wanted a brace, my one big issue i have (not my arse or height or double chins) is one front tooth, i looked into having it done for the wedding but at 2k upwards i decided against it.

Does your dental surgery not have a payment plan type thing?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Is it something that bothers you? If it is then I think you've answered your own question and should just get it done. I know the money situation isn't ideal but perhaps go for the train tracks as they are cheaper (again not ideal looks wise, I know I had them) and perhaps borrow the money or (and I would NEVER normally encourage this) find a credit card that is 0% on purchases so you can pay off rather than save up. I think if it bothers you then you'll just have to bite the bullet

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I think i will do. I might ring my old orthadontist and see what they say!

And Flow they do but only for like 6 months and still wouldn't be able to pay it back that quickly!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

My dentist did this to me before our wedding too. Trying to convince me that I need to have braces again and that my veneer needs replacing and that I need to have my teeth whitened....

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

The shields you are talking about is called Invisalign and I started it a year before my wedding as I was very self conscious about my teeth and had even started putting my hand up in front of my face when I smiled. I had worn braces all of my teenage years and had lovely teeth until my wisdom teeth came through which caused my front teeth to start sticking out so it sounds very similar to you.

I have no idea where your dentist got £3500 from! Mine was £2200 for top and bottom and that is a private dentist in the City. Thought I may as well do both at the same time. I paid in monthly installments and is the best money I have ever spent. The results are fantastic. The shields do take some getting use to, you have a new set every two weeks and i won't lie your teeth will kill for a day but when you get used to them it actually feels weird not having them in.

Unless your teeth are all very badly crooked i don't see how it can be this much, I would get a few quotes for Invisalign from several dentists and see but highly recommend doing it.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to point out that this is a myth. I felt that my wisdom teeth were the reason for my issues, but apparently they cannot cause your other teeth to move.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Trixylou, it's really good to know that they do actually work so if I did get them, it wouldn't be a waste of my money! I'm going to see an orthodontist and get a second opinion and see if he really thinks they need doing!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I have braces again at the moment, after previously having them as a teenager. Over the last 5 years they've started moving back and had gone pretty much back to their original position (pretty wonky)

I didn't want horrible teeth and to be too worried to smile in my wedding photos, so I decided to opt for braces again. I thought it would take years as I had fixed braces for over 2 years as a teenager, but eventually opted for a removable brace which can sort them out in 6 months.

As someone else has said, £3500 seems steep! Mine cost £1595 (Privately) and includes free whitening and all treatment, which can be paid on credit or in installments if need be. I have something called an Inman alligner which is considered an "invisible" brace (nn alternative to invisalign). It's more like a retainer than a brace and is removable.

It works typically in 3-6 months, and I can see a dramatic difference with mine after just a month. After they're taken out, I can also choose to have a permanent retainer put it, to keep the teeth in place for good (not as awful as it sounds)

As it works so quickly I need to go in every 2 weeks as opposed to every 6 weeks or so, so it's a pain in that respect. I probably could have found cheaper if I had shopped around, but the place doing it is just up the road which is in my favour with the frequency of appointments.

Now i'm undergoing treatment, I wonder why I didn't just get it sorted as soon as I noticed them moving back.

As others have said, seek a second opinion and dont mention that you're getting married. As soon as I did some places were trying to talk me into veneers and all sorts.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Presumably this is per arch though? So would be over £3k for both?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's right, I only have the top, but OP has only mentioned top set, front teeth hasn't she? Unless i've missed something/misunderstood.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Well she said £3k so I don't whether she wanted me to have both so that my teeth "line up" as she didnt mention just having tops done!

But if I only have to go for the top set then I think i mght go for the invisable!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics