Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DaffodilWaves

Braces for adults (teeth)

DaffodilWaves, 7 of March of 2014 at 23:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

I had a fixed brace on my top teeth when I was young. As an adult, my wisdom teeth came through and pushed my lower teeth together, making some overlap.

I've been having problems with one tooth, started with a filling, now a root canal and ending in a cap in two weeks time because they cracked it!!

As I'm considering having a brace on my bottom teeth to get them straight again and I think they will have to pull teeth out before hand because I haven't got any spare room, I'm thinking about going to see an orthodontist to see if they would have to remove any and if that tooth can be one of them if they do.

Has anyone had a brace as an adult and if so, was it expensive? Curious as to how much roughly it will be. Wondering whether I'd need to continue with the other treatment or not.

5 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 9 of March of 2014 at 21:28
  • mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I had fixed braces last year on the top and bottom. I only had them for 4.5 months although the dentist estimated it would take 9, it was torture at first but I am SO pleased it was worth every ounce of pain. (Including the pain of not eating curry every Friday like I usually do).

It cost £2.5k for both arches, it would have been £1750 just for just the top which is what I was originally going to have. I had the six month smile which means they only focus on the teeth you can see when you smile so your wisdom teeth might not be an issue. The only thing I will recommend is that if you need any fillings or anything you will have to have these done first, I needed a filling replacing and ended up paying the private dentist where I got the braces double what my regular dentist charges to do it because they wouldn't fit my braces without it being done first.

I had a free consultation before I agreed to anything, I think a lot of the places offer that now.

If you like I can email you some pics of the before and after to show you the improvements.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Thank you mooshy, that is really helpful. Did you pay every time you went or all up front?

Can't believe they moved in such a short time period, no wonder it hurt. They did my top ones over 18 months ?

I would love to see the results please!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I had adult braces on my top row (because of overlap of 2 front teeth) for the same reason as you DW. I opted for an inman alligner (removable, clear brace)

It was 100% painless and really good for flexibility with work. I was so worried about going back to a fixed brace and getting food stuck in it at weddings, not being able to eat/drink certain things or coming across child like at consultations! It was the perfect solution for me as I could take it out whenever I needed (wanted) to and even though I suffered from crowding as a teen (and now) I was able to have it without need to remove any teeth.

Mine went on Sept 2012 and came off Jan 2013. They were super quick

I'm trying to remember how much it was offhand, I think in total with xrays and stuff it came in around £1.5k, which included £200 worth of whitening treatment and hygienist clean.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I had approx. 4 months of Invisalign type treatment (clear removeable trays) followed by about 6 months with a fixed brace (clear brackets and wires). I had both top and bottom done and it cost £4k. My teeth were pretty wonky though.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I wanted the removable ones but my dentist basically told me it was fixed or nothing because the reason I needed them was that I was non-compliant with my retainers as a teenager. He was right, I never do as I'm told and would have taken them out every 5 minutes if I could have!

DaffodilWaves I sent mail to the email address on your website.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! I think I am sold, will contact them tomorrow. Mooshy, just wow!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics