Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kentish Gal
Beginner July 2013

Brainiacs! Need help - stage 'disguise' and floral displays

Kentish Gal, 12 October, 2012 at 17:52 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello, we are having a Village Fete style wedding day, lots of homemade bunting, everything is being held in the same hall so the ceremony will be on the stage in front of some not entirely attractive green curtains. I need to disguise them - any ideas on this?? I know some of you clever posters will have a much better idea than I can come up with!

Also, we're already over budget, but Other Half is really keen on some floral. I am not a girly-girl, I have no clue about such matters. I would like some greenery/flowers on the stage also. Any ideas how we couild do this cheaply? Boyfriend says flower stands but they are dear to buy.

One idea I had was a gorgeous vase of flowers each side of the stage with a gift tag 'For Mum' on each, by the time the mums go home no one will notice the flowers have gone but they'll have something nice to brighten up the lounge instead of the traditional bouquet presentation (which I have no intention of doing anyway!)

Thanks for anything!

5 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 12 October, 2012 at 20:37
  • rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I have a couple of suggestions:

- Close the curtains, hire or borrow a projector and project either a film or an image backdrop onto the curtains (may or may not work without me seeing the actual thing)

- flowers in glass jars or jugs which you can borrow or save up (passata jars are good makeshift vases). get someone to go to the supermarket the night before and buy cheap bouquets. It will look rustic, like your theme

- Make a hanging curtain to hang across the stage and therefore sort-of disguising the green thing. I mean like a piece of string with strings of beads or paper flowers or butterflies or fairy lights hanging down.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Editied as thought you said you were hiding green chairs, not curtain! Sorry.

I too was going to suggest something hanging down from the roof. Not a total block, but things hanging on strings will give people to look at. Paper cranes, pom pom, plastic flowers or anything to fit your theme. Or draped or hanging, chiffon table runners. You can buy them cheap off ebay in a range of colours.

As for something floral, what about a living plant in a pot? They too could be given away as a gift. There are also bay trees which are cut to look like a lollipop (a round ball of leaves sitting on the little trunk). These could be dressed with plastic flowers, ribbons in the wedding colour or fairy lights & having 1 on each side of the stage would look nice.

Could you borrow some large potted trees/bushes/plants from friends? Wrap paper around the pots & add a large ribbon in your wedding colour.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

How about 2 floral pedestal arrangements on either side of the stage, helps hide the curtains and adds some flowers to the mix

Probably not the cheapest option but if the curtains are behind you don't need to have a full 360 arrangement if that makes sense (If you wont see the back of the arrangement you don't need to have flowers at the back. which makes it cheaper)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Just to clarify, someone mentioned chairs but there's no chair issue Smiley smile

Regarding the flowers, they're gorgeous and would be perfect, but I've spent my budget even without bouquet, I'd guess 2 of those would cost a fair bit? Would anyone know? Op

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on the flowers etc we are thinking of having pedestals and I enquired with a few florists at the wedding show anything from £80-£200+ (From the info I was given I would guess the first picture is nearer the £80 bracket and the second £120/£150) That said these were central London Florists so maybe cheaper in sunny Kent!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Sorry. I misread curtain as being green chairs! My brain is playing tricks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics