Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrandMrsFord
Beginner November 2011

Bridal entrance - order of who goes when?

MrandMrsFord, 2 of June of 2011 at 00:24 Posted on Planning 0 21

Heya guys and girls!

So typically in English weddings, the Bride is supposed to go first followed by the bridesmaids etc.

Well I really like the idea of Canon in D playing. and slowly one by one or in pairs, the flower girl and page boy could go in, then the bridesmaids and then me and my Dad last after a gap big enough to allow the girls to all stand im their pews, then pause....then me and my Dad!

My reasons for this are:

The Aisle is short and there is a step half way up it (Ahhhhhhhhhhhh *worst fear is falling over step in big dress*) so to make the most of the beautiful canon in D I wanted to prolong my entrance

The bridesmaids can then turn once in their seats and watch me come down the aisle rather than not see it at all

People will then actually LOOK at the bridesmaids and their flowers I put so long into and dresses etc rather than just looking at me

Also.....I just wanna be last! Attention seeking maybe but it's my big day and I wanna be the final piece! lol!

What are everyone's thoughts on this? It's a bit un-traditional and the registrar at the chapel was dead set on us being first down the aisle as she is a stickler for tradition, but obviously it is up to us.

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsShark, 2 of June of 2011 at 12:11
  • tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I had a short aisle too and I did it the way that you just said. My dad thought I was clinically insane when I first mentioned it to him but came round pretty quickly once he saw teh aisle and heard the music. I say in true hitched tradition 'its your day so have it your way'.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not necessarily; some vicars are very strict on doing things "in the right order" and will not allow any other option.

Your day, your way - but their venue, their rules still overrides.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We did it the American way and had bridesmaids go first, each with one of my children, then me and my dad came in last. I wanted to give the bridesmaids their moment in the spotlight plus I liked the idea of my entrance being the 'main course'!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is the way I planned to do it. I will also be having canon in D. Didn't think to ask the priest about who goes first. All weddings I've been to the bridesmaids go first.

my reasons are the same as you. I want to be the last to enter as well

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

the church im getting hitched at has this rule. my best friend got married in sept and vicar said no to bridesmaids first. will try my best to get them first but as you said its their venue so their rukles

x

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Our Priest insisted we went in the traditional British order which I was happy with as I was so nervous I almost ran down the aisle to my H!

I have been to weddings where both have occurred, mostly church weddings tend to stick to the traditional way but I guess if the vicar/priest is lenient enough you can choose. All of the civil weddings we have attended seem to do it the American way.

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

I'm def doing it the american way!

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

Yeah any wedding I have been to its been bridesmaid first!!! I will send the Flowergirls, Pageboy, bridesmaids then me and my Daddy!! xx

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

At my wedding our registrar assumed that I would go in last - there was no aisle but I still managed to make some sort of entrance!!

My sister entered with the groom at her wedding a few years ago and then the rest of us followed them!?

My brother had a much bigger wedding, wife in huge meringue dress complete with loooooong train. I was a bridesmaid and we walked up the aisle behind her, carrying her train.. I never realised it was tradition for BMs to have their own entrance?

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I will be going first as my H2b has said he doesn't care two hoots what the bridesmaids look like - he wants to see me!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I'll be doing it the american way too! Flower Girls and Pageboy first, then my 4 bridesmaids then me and my parents. I had wanted to have a piece of music for each of my entourage, but we think that will be a bit much, so we'll just be using my favourite song of all time.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Our little bridesmaids will be going, then my two adults bridesmaids then when they are at top me and my dad go!

I havent even thought about askign vicar and i cant see why it matters which way! I want to go last so my bridesmaids can see too. x

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is true, I hadn't thought of that!

Although actually it's not the priests venue, he is coming from my parish church to do the service at a small private chapel.

I've got to meet with him in the next week anyway to proof check our order's of service before we print them, so I will ask him then!

Thanks for letting me know, as I would never have considered asking before!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the American way. I want my BMs to have their moment too! Luckily, I'm getting married in Oz and that's the way they do it too. My sister got married in a church and the vicar put us in place for the rehearsal. When my sister said she wanted the BMs to go first, the vicar just shrugged and said "oh, the American way, if you like". Obviously wasn't too keen on the idea but she allowed it.

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

I was going to walk in first but when we went for a second visit to our venue they suggested BM's first as it will be easier for them to take their place in the front aisle. Once I thought about it I came round to the idea of them having some limelight too, like someone said a lot of effort has also gone into their dresses etc Smiley smile

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is another thing, the space for us to stand is quite in the way as it's a quite small (but with lots of seats) chapel with big arches and marble pillars, very old style, it's at the school I went to and my Mum went to, it's a catholic school. Anyway I ramble on haha, my point was that if I go last, it doesn't leave the BMs to squeeze past me into their seats!

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

I think my BMs will have to go first too due to space issues. If they were behind me they would have to squeeze around us and try not to step on the train on my dress to get to their seats.

• W
    Beginner
    welshcake79 ·
    • Hide content

I'll be doing it this way too.

To begin with I was dead set against it because its what my mum wanted (lol) and I was fed up of her expressing / forcing her views... but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

When dad and I walk down, there'll be no-one behind me to stand on my dress lol.

x

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Exactly what we are doing!

BM one with the two flower girls first, then BM two with the pageboy, then CBM then me and me Pa!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics