Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

Bridal fabrics

InkedDoll, 30 of June of 2014 at 16:20 Posted on Planning 0 4

I'm searching at the moment for lace for my dress. Can anyone recommend any fabric shops in the North West area? I don't sew, so I don't know where to look. I already looked in Abakhan's in Manchester, and I've spotted Heena's in Rochdale online, but I suspect that sort of shop is often not online. I think I've found most of the major online retailers, and seen some amazing stuff at bridalfabrics.co.uk, but not sure if I can run to £120 a metre!

4 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 30 of June of 2014 at 19:24
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

What sort of thing do you want? How much, what colour and what is your budget?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ivory or cream lace, but that's about as far as I've got. Probably something quite lightweight, possibly a floral pattern, and no beading or sequins. I think probably £80 a metre is the absolute most I can stretch to, but I'd rather less! (I don't have exact costings from my dressmaker as to the lining fabric, which she's sorting, so not 100% sure what total I'm looking at yet.) I've never bought fabric before in my life, so some of the technical terms I've seen online are lost on me (still not entirely sure what guipure means).

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

That price should be achievable if you don't want any embellishment.

Just remember there is a difference between Embroidery and Lace. Basically embroidery is stitched and lace is knitted in the most simplistic terms. Guipure is a type of embroidery that looks like just the threads. There is no base fabric visible. It can be quite heavy in that the stitching is quite thick to hold the structure together. You can get corded laces that look a bit like embroidery where a thicker thread is incorporated into the design to give texture.

Lace wise the nicest lace is french Leavers. This made by hand and is the most beautiful (and expensive). There is machinery now that can make a similar look but still not as gorgeous.

While I was looking for the images I came across this site, based in Lancashire. They have a few nice things. What is very naughty of them though is that they call embroideries lace which is not correct and very confusing for customers. If not I would suggest London.

Something you would need to consider is if you want an 'all-over' design, as in there is no decorative edge. Or is you want a 'galloon' or 'edge' design meaning there is a scalloped or heavier shapes edge on both sides.

Hope that helps a bit. If you want any specific help just send over what you are looking at. I could post you a few examples of what's want if you want?

I'm a lingerie designer hence my excessive knowledge on this type of thing!

some examples of embroidery

examples of lace

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, that's super helpful, thanks! I think looking at the pics I do want embroidery rather than lace. But I would never have known the difference! I've ordered a few samples from bridalfabrics, so I'll see what turns up. I dunno if I could stretch to a trip to London on top of the dress costs - I suspect like so many wedding related things, I was thinking that it wouldn't cost as much as it's turning out to! But it'll be worth it to have a bespoke dress.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

This isn't much help regarding lace but I bought my buttons, lacing and modesty panel from these guys;

http://www.bridalcoveredbuttons.co.uk/

Just incase you need the bits and bobs for your dress and they're really helpful if you get stuck on what to order.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics