Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

Bridal hair flowers - fresh or fabric???

Red Baroness, 23 September, 2010 at 10:56 Posted on Planning 0 10

I've seen these lovely fabric flower combs (Jenny Packham = expensive!):

But can't decide on whether to go with those or fresh flowers. Will fresh flowers survive the day in my hair??

Just wondered what your thoughts are, and what you may have chosen for your weddings.....................

10 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 24 September, 2010 at 07:40
  • Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Silk flowers are more robust & will still look fab at the end of the day whereas fresh will wilt and bruise ( with all the kissing& bumping heads!) Some fresh are more hardy than others but they will be out of water for a long time.

I make silk flower clips, barrettes & Combs . Here are a few examples:

• ruth23
    Beginner September 2011
    ruth23 ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking about having a white lily in my hair and wasn't sure whether to go fresh or not either!

However, I think I'll probably go for a good quality silk one. It will be a good keepsake!

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

I can see this from both sides as I used to work ina florist & design & make bridal headwear. It totally depends on what flowers you want & what season it is. If you are in winter & want sprigs of winter berries etc I'd say go for real. But if you are in the summer months, I'd say go for fake. It's just that they will wilt; and more than likely will get knocked about & bruise.

And if you do require a quote for anything please let me know & I can sketch you some designs. I'd also speak to your florist as they'll be able to advise you which flowers mathc your bouquet.

Hope this helps.

K

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking the same thing this morning! I've decided against a veil and i thought something big and floral would work better.

My flowers are artificial so i guess it makes sense to ask my florist but i was thinking something more glamourous that jsut flowers...i think i need to hit google! ?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I'm having silk lilies with feathers and sparkles. But I think a lot of brides go for a tiara rahter than flowers these days anyway.

I think fresh flowers in hair and bouquet is a bit of a waste as the die so quickly, I'd rather have silk that I can keep. I'd have fresh flowers as a table decoration or at a church though.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Flowers have become big business with brides this year, and it would appear that the trend will continue to grow. I have people contacting me for flowers on some way shape or form on a weekly basis. Here are some of the flowers that I do. (everything is hand made to order, so things can be changed to suit needs.) But this is just to show you, that you are not limited to just one type of thing........

There's also this pin which I love too: https://www.katievaledesigns.com/Pins/Framedflower.html

I have got other material flowers too; but photobox is being a nuisance & not allowing me to upload at the moment. When I do, I'll show you some more if you'd like.

hope this gives you some food for thought.

K

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

They're not quite as flouncy, but I've recently been given a hair flower made by Victoria Fergusson; I think they start at £50 each so about the same price as the Jenny Packham ones if you want 3, but if you don't they're a little cheaper!! Have a look at https://www.victoriafergusson.co.uk/Hairpins_And_Combs.htm. Please excuse the dodgy pic, but it gives you an idea of the size!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - have you decided what flowers you are having in your bouquet? Usually they are made to match. Some flowers are hardier than others out of water and a lot also depends on the type of hair decoration you would like. Anything close to the head such as a circlet headdress will suffer from the heat generated from your head more so than a few flowers scattered in the back of your hair. Roses and orchids are usual favourites as these can stand being out of water for periods of time without wilting as long as they are wired. Lilies/freesias can bruise quite easily. If you are having fresh flowers, have a chat to your florist who will advise the best types of flowers to use.

• HorseFan
    Beginner September 2010
    HorseFan ·
    • Hide content

I'm having white roses in my hair ......... (tomorrow eeeek)

I had a trial a few weeks back and the roses looked great all day. I had a different purple flower as well but it was too delicate and wilted after a few hours, hence going with the roses for the big day

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

It looks lovely, the purple flowers are hydrangea & very delicate.

Good luck for tomorrow hope you have a fab day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics