Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2016

Bridal Make Up - Airbase?

SunnyPinkConfetti513, 4 of February of 2016 at 13:32 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi

I hope that someone can help.

I am getting marred in August and, whilst most things are starting to come together, I need to book someone to do my make up.

The only make up I wear is mascara, and that's it. I am very keen for my bridal make up to be simple and light - my other half doesn't like heavy make up all.

I have been given a recommendation of a make up artist, but I am a little concerned as the lady uses "airbase" make up, which I understand to be some sort of airbrush foundation.

I appreciate that some foundation is going to be a good idea, but I am concerned that this stuff could be very heavy - I don't want to look flawless; I just want to look like a slighter tidier version of me! The make up artist told me that you can build layers up so it can be very light.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience of airbrush? Should I be concerned? Is there anything that I should be asking? I am very much out of my comfort zone on this so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you

8 replies

Latest activity by SunnyPinkConfetti513, 5 of February of 2016 at 20:23
  • P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

As a fellow non make up wearer on day to day i hope i can help. On occassion wear i just do eye make up really also, never touch my skin.

I booked in for a trial with airbase/airbrush foundation, believing everyone when they said you need a MU artist, have to have foundation so don't look washed out etc, and airbase was the way to go as it's so light. On the trial I did not like it, my H did not like it, my parents & brother who also saw it did not like it. Yes it does feel incredible light, you wont know you're wearing it, and it looks smooth and flawless, but - if you do not wear foundation it is still obviously foundation and a face full of it. It was all i could focus on in the mirror, and i didn't like the idea of talking to everyone on wedding day and them just staring at me as it looks different as you don't normally wear it.

So, i kept the MU lady as she was also my hair lady, but only booked in for hair on the day. IMO, the hairstyle was more important. So having lovely hair upped the bridal factor feel. I stuck with doing the makeup myself, which consisted of usual eye make up, and a just a light BB cream and MAC powder dust. I tested it on the day of my hen, and felt comfortable and looked like me, so did the same on wedding day and wouldn't have changed it at all. Even now my H says how glad he was i made that decision as i looked like me!

I appreciate lots of people love it, but as a non skin MU wearer it is still a lot to take in. Or, maybe my MU lady put on wayyyy too many layers and that's why i didn't like it. Who knows. HTH ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Try getting your make up done at some of the make up counters instead for something that you can do yourself that is simple. if you don't usually wear make up you will hate your photos if you don't look like you, I hate my hair so no photos on display. I had my make up done at the Clinique counter and then bought the products.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    Mrswilltobe17 ·
    • Hide content

I think if you're not used to wearing makeup anything you put on will feel unnatural to you and you won't feel comfortable. Personally I love makeup so I want that flawless look but then everyone is used to seeing me wear makeup so it won't be any different to them. I think it's your day and you have to feel happy and comfortable. Perhaps have a trail and see what you think xx

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I use both 'normal' and airbrush foundation on my brides. I do a lot of people's makeup who don't usually wear much or don't wear any at all. For these people I recommend to them to have normal foundation as airbrush gives you a very flawless look which can sometimes look doll like, especially on people who don't wear much makeup. It is true you build up the layers but to get a nice even coverage you still need quite a bit. Whereas normal foundation can give you nice coverage whilst still looking and feeling light on your skin.

I do agree you need some foundation for your wedding day as the photos pick up on every flaw and foundation will give you a nice even coverage. Lipstick also really needs to be worn as if you just have lipgloss your lips can disappear in the photos.

Aimee x

• B
    Beginner February 2016
    BearFeb2016 ·
    • Hide content

I tried airbrush- i was after the same thing in terms of just a little more tidy version of me for the big day. The MUA was great but i couldnt stand the feel of it on my skin! It made my face feel really tight as the day went on and because it can cover up the skin completely I thought it looked a little too Doll like.

I've gone for another MUA now and feel MUCH happier!

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsR2Be ·
    • Hide content

I had the airbase make up done for a wedding, I would only wear make up going out so day to day I am bare faced.

It gave me fantastic coverage lasting all day and night and didn't feel like I was wearing make up at all so I am definitely planning on having it for my wedding!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm very much the opposite to you and wear heavy make up with foundation that has a heavy coverage on a day to day basis. I'm having my trial on Thursday and will be having air brush make up so happy to feedback from my point of view how it feels on my skin as haven't had it before x

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Am a Makeup Artist and i've used airbrushing and it can be light but still I'd say to much for someone who doesn't wear anything at all and doesn't want to look made up so to speak.

Rather than pay for a trial my advice is to get yourself to a Dior counter, they do an airbrush foundation which is in a can, its very much the same as Airbrush machine Makeup Artist use. You don't have to buy anything just ask the person working there could you try the Dior Airflash. Wear it around for the day and see how you feel, ask your partners opinion etc. If you feel the Dior Airflash is to heavy then you won't like Airbrush Makeup as to be honest i feel the Dior is even more light weight.

I'd say a good option for you would be Bare Minerals as it's a powder and very natural and light (I use it as a setting powder or re-fresher most the time) or Laura Geller Balance and Brighten. I tend to use this on Mother of the Bride etc as they don't like anything to heavy. As other's said to go Makeup Counters and use the free service to see what you like and don't. If you then decide you want a Makeup Artist you will be then more knowledgeable on what you like and don't and perhaps take a photo of the makeovers from the counter you have liked.

Even just go for a nice primer that blurs out imperfections or adds a glow. Also check out maybe a BB cream (but be careful about spf and flashback), always take a picture of you with the flash on your phone or camera to see does the foundation under flash lighting leave a white cast.

I think you would look great with just very sheer foundation with a good primer to give radiance and to blur out some imperfections. A little bit of a cream blush (boujours do lovely ones or daniel sandler) and bit of mascara, a neutral colour on the eye, just a matte warm shade would do and a little bit of lipstick or gloss in a neutral colour.

Maybe check out Lisa Eldridge on youtube, she has done a no-makeup, makeup look here which is very natural https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGpLLWnO3XY and also a downton abbey makeup, which is designed to look as though no makeup has been worn (it's what they wear on the show) and I think very nice for a wedding day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUR0xvgsZb0

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    SunnyPinkConfetti513 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your very helpful comments.

I have spoken to the make up artist and am told she does offer "normal" make up as well as airbrush. I think I will go for a trial with her soon and see how I get on, that way I should have time for a second trial if I don't like it.

I am trying to do lost things myself but unfortunately because I am so hopeless with make up, but want to wear some on the day, I know that I need some help with this bit.

thanks again

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics