Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Beginner October 2022 Oxfordshire

Bridal make up if you don't usually wear it?

Rachel, 14 of January of 2021 at 11:24 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all!

I wear and have never worn make up in a big way - maybe a handful of times a year when I'm going out or have a special occasion I'll put on some mascara and a small amount of black eyeliner. I've never worn concealer, foundation, anything that you apply on the skin, and especially not lipgloss/vaseline on my lips as I hate the texture!

I'm getting married and am thinking about wedding makeup, which I'm not adverse to investing in in thoery. Should I try and find a makeup artist who will be able to do light, natural makeup (I want people to be able to recognise me as I go down the aisle haha), or not bother? I've heard that not having makeup on can wash you out in photos, but guys don't typically wear any and they seem fine? Smiley tongue

Any opinions/experiences welcome!

10 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePinkFlowers63608, 15 of January of 2021 at 14:51
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I don't wear makeup at all ever and didn't wear any for my wedding. No one commented that I looked washed out, and one person even asked where I got my 'natural makeup' done! (Just shows the power of suggestion - because people assumed that I would wear makeup, they 'saw' me as wearing makeup!) And I look fine in our photos. If you're looking washed out in wedding pictures, you've picked a poor photographer.

Go with what makes you feel most 'you'.

All I would say is to be prepared for some huge pushback when people find out you're going makeup-free. For some reason, it's a really contentious issue. Some people couldn't have been more horrified if I'd announced I was going to walk down the aisle naked Smiley xd

• Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

I would like to go completely natural, but I’m worried about getting a massive spot or something! I wouldn’t normally wear make up even to a special occasion event, but I’m considering very light make up for my wedding just because I don’t trust the quality of my own skin!

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could always practice a light makeup look just in case, and then decide to use it on the day depending on what your skin was doing.

I've found what I eat has a lot to do with how my skin looks, so I did try to improve my diet some months before the wedding, and I was careful not to suddenly make it healthier in the weeks immediately before - I've found in the past that suddenly increasing the amount of water I drink or fruit & veg that I eat can cause an eruption of spots, so made those changes well in advance!

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds like a good approach, thanks!

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your responses guys, all v helpful Smiley smile

I will probably not bother getting a makeup person, but will get a bridesmaid to practice something on my face beforehand to see what it would look like in case of spot issues on the day, and generally see how I feel on the day maybe - interesting that @RomanticGreenStationery27135 had people thinking she was wearing some despite not!

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

Good to see other answers as I don't wear make-up either (never, nothing, no mascara, not whatever the skin-coloured stuff is, nothing), but I have booked a make-up artist for the wedding, though that's mostly because my mum told me you wouldn't be able to see my face in photos otherwise. (Even though you can see my face in all other photos usually!) I told mum I didn't want lipstick as I hate the feel of it and she said I had to have it, so I might stick to my guns and say I don't want it. I also get bad eczema so I'm worried about make-up causing a flare up.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Rachel. I sent you a PM about the subject.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your mum is talking rubbish. I'm naturally very pale skinned, and if anyone is going to look washed out in a photo it would be me, but I'm really pleased with our wedding pics. I did mention to our photographer beforehand that I wouldn't be wearing any makeup, and he was fine with that and said it wouldn't be a problem.

I've also heard the argument that your face will be washed out by comparison with other guests who are wearing makeup - harder for me to be specific about this because our wedding was under Covid regs, so everyone is 2 metres apart in our 'group' photo, but I've had photos taken at formal events when I've been right next to very madeup friends, and I haven't looked washed out by contrast - I've just looked makeup free!

It's interesting how conditioned we all are that we MUST wear makeup to look good. I reckon it's because the beauty industry is terrified of what would happen if women stopped buying all this stuff overnight! And it's easier to keep doing what everyone else is doing.

The only thing I've ever put on my face has been moisturiser, and I don't even do that any more. I started wearing it in my teens because I was told my skin 'needed' it as I got to that age. As I got older, my skin got drier and I was told I needed a thicker moisturiser to protect my skin and prevent wrinkles. During lockdown, I ran out and couldn't get any more, and after 2 weeks of my sking feeling tight and dry, it started to feel fine. I've not worn moisturiser for over 6 months now, and my skin feels softer, more supple and better than ever, and I don't get the rashes and spots that I used to...so I really am starting to question the whole beauty industry, and how much of it we need v how much we want/are conditioned to think we need.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Here is another related one to throw into the mix. Be very careful not to overdo it when tanning for your wedding, fake or natural because you may look healthy and a natural glow in normal clothes or looking in the mirror but against your dress and especially standing next to your partner and guests you may stand way out in the photos.

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I might just have a bit of mascara then and that'll do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics