Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amberlee
Beginner July 2021 Arizona

Bridal Shop Etiquette

Amberlee, 9 of May of 2021 at 15:53 Posted on Planning 0 5
A little back story. I found my dream wedding dress on the manufacturer's website in Kosovo but because no USA bridal shops ordered this dress for 2021 I had to place a custom order in February through one of their preferred bridal shops. I choose a shop in Washington because it was the closest to me. The bridal shop said no problem can order the dress for and would take about three months. It is also important I note that the shop owner mentioned that my dress is so unique that a typical bride would not normally purchase and this is why I could not find a bridal shop in the USA that already had it see it in person or to try on.

Since February I have been waiting on communication from the Washington bridal shop. So I was shocked to see the bridal shops' Instagram model wearing my dress for a social post. I did not consent to this in my purchase agreement.

Is the normal bridal shop etiquette? Am I normal not to get communication during the shipping/ receiving process? I am still waiting for an explanation.

5 replies

Latest activity by Anne, 14 of June of 2021 at 15:34
  • A
    Dedicated July 2022 Co Londonderry
    Ali312 ·
    • Hide content
    I would email them. I think it was similar to me, where I've placed an order (made an appointment to come in 3 months later)- I did hear back about 2 weeks before to confirm the appointment.

In terms of them trying it on I'm not sure. I feel that if they have ordered it just for you (and you've signed a contract/paid) they shouldn't really be letting anyone try it on. Likewise, they've made a dress specifically for me, I wouldn't expect someone to try it on.
  • Amberlee
    Beginner July 2021 Arizona
    Amberlee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Correct signed and paid in full when I placed the order. I was in tears seeing someone else in my dress...not being the first to try on my expensive, custom, dream dress! So disrespectful to not ask me first and the bigger is issue is this is how found out my dress had been delivered from the designer ?
  • S
    Dedicated March 2022 Hampshire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    Oh my 😮 I am in shock! I find that so disrespectful! What if the model accidentally slipped and tore your dress! Have you complained to the bridal shop? If so what did they have to say for themselves?
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If this is a custom dress (as in, custom designed to your specification) then they shouldn't have allowed anyone to try it on at all. If it is a standard design, just one that is not normally carried by their shop, then it is a little rude of them to allow someone else to try it on first, but they are probably just trying to see if other people will be interested in that style. They should have asked you first though.

I would contact them, politely expressing how disappointed you are by this behaviour. Try not to let it upset you too much though. You are the one who gets to wear this lovely dress for your wedding, regardless of who has tried it on.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    If I were you I’d be so angry- I might even go as far as to demand they order in a new dress for me or say I want a discount as they are selling me a display dress.
    When you order a dress it should be from the factory etc it shouldn’t be something someone else has worn.

Good luck either way x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics