Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner March 2014

Bridal shop may have ordered me the wrong size dress! Please Help!

Miss-november, 6 of January of 2014 at 19:44 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi everyone,

I have a massive problem with my dress and really need advice! I went to try my dress on today as it had arrived. I WAS a little worried that I had put on a bit of weight but when I tried my dress on I could not step into it and it was a good few inches too small at the back!! They told me that the dress should be fine but that I would need to loose weight as there is a lace portion of the dress that has no give to it.

Now, I am a UK size 16-18 (tall) and I looked at the tag on my dress today and i'm pretty sure they have ordered me and 18 BUT I thought they were ordering me a 20. I know I sound like I am in denial about putting weight on but I dont think i've put THAT much weight on. I came home and tried on the shorts that I was wearing when I went to try dresses on and they still fit!! They may be a TINY but snugger, but nowhere near enough to account for good 3 inches of dress not fitting. Plus they still comfortably did up and the material was not stretchy at all.

My question is WHAT SHOULD I DO? I could diet and madly exercise but it's the principle of the matter that I think they are wrong! I am considering phoning up the shop tomorrow and asking if they still have my measurements that they originally took so I can check before I say anything. My problem is that they mentioned the size they were going to order and took some measurements and said they would work out the size later but the size ordered isn't specified on my receipt.

Do I sound like a mad woman in denial? I can't stop thinking about it. I wouldn't be saying this is I didn't think I were right because tbh is a bit eembarrassing!

8 replies

Latest activity by DrBuffles, 7 of January of 2014 at 12:13
  • *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

First of all, what dress is it? If it's an American brand, it will probably have American sizing, which gets all kind of confusing.

I am assuming from your name that you are getting married in November? Which would give you more than enough time to lose those inches. As long as you want to of course. Speak to the dress shop and see what they say, they should be able to help, not tell you to lose weight though! That's your choice not theirs

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Miss-november ·
    • Hide content

Actually we are now getting married in March (just under 10 weeks away), we were originally November, hence the name! My dress is Mori Lee 5103.

I've looked at the size chart for mori lee online (not sure how accurate they are and my current measurements aren't that different, although the waist size is 34in, which I definitely haven't been for a number of years. Obviously I am no expert on how dress fitting works but it just doesn't seem right to me.

the size chart says 18 = bust 42.5, waist, 34 and hips 46.

my current sizes are bust 43, waist 38 and hips 46-46.5.

My waist has definitely not been a 34 for years. I am nearly 6 foot and quite broad!

Please do tell me if you think it is my mistake/problem, I don't want to make a fool of myself for no reason!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

If you really do think they said they'd order you a size 20 as they've got you a size down then you need to say something.

The thing is, there may not be time to get it in in time. So, if I were you I'd try to lose a bit of weight just to be on the safe side. You might find that you lose the Christmas weight relatively easily anyway.

Just try not to panic as hard as it may be!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

When I ordered my dress, the shop noted the size ordered, including the measurements of that dress plus my measurements. The shop kept a copy and I had a copy. It was basically like a contract. Do you have anything like this? Something to refer back to and see if they really have ordered the wrong size?

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, this is a great idea. My shop gave me a kind of receipt / contact and it had all my measurements and size on there. When I went back for my first fitting she measured me again before I tried the dress on and told me I had lost from my waist but gained on my bust (strange!).

Anyway call them up and ask for a copy, least then you will know.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Miss-november ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately thats my problem! They didn't give me anything written about my dress size and im not sure if they've kept a copy of my measurements. They just told me they'd work out the dress size later. I feel like an idiot now!

Obviously i know they wouldn't have time to get me another one so im cutting back and hoping to loose some weight. Also I have absolutely no proof unless they've kept my detsils!

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Miss-november ·
    • Hide content

I will call them and ask them what my measurements were though. Might pitch it like I want to see how much I need to lose.

Thanks for the replies!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I defiantly call and ask for your measurements, they must have to keep a copy of them in case of mix ups like this, personally I wouldn't believe them if they said they don't keep them. They need to cover themselves in situations like this.

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

How stressful!

I think you should contact the shop for your measurements before you do anything else. As someone else said they must keep a copy of measurements to cover themselves if nothing else. I'm sure some brides must turn up having put on loads or lost loads of weight so the shop will want a a fall back if brides make accusations of wrong ordering (not saying this is what you have done just another example of why they would want to keep them)

Obv diet as much as you can as you don't have much time but I would try and get the bottom of the sizing issue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics