Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Rockstar August 2013

Bridal shops - stock/sample Size moan

cherrybloom, 8 of February of 2013 at 21:35 Posted on Planning 0 20

This is a little bit of a whinge!!

Now I am not particularly big girl more curvy size 12/14 on the high street tata size 34F but I am no Victoria Beckham either!! But why o why do they not stock decent sizes for normal gals, now if I do an A line dress, like they all seem to try and direct me too, they are fine but that is not what I want, I want a mermaid or fishtail, I tried the a-line to humour them but its not me and even they have to admit when they shoehorn me into a dress I LIKE that it suits me...also I am not going to by a dress for so much money that I can't try on!! it needs to be considered that form fitting style dresses can suit over size 10s too, Pronovias apparently used to stock sample size 14, then it went to 12 last year then 10 this year wtf!! What is the size of the average UK woman again??

So this is plea to all bridal shops please can you stock 14/16 in mermaid and fishtail styles too please, not just princess and A line dresses in those sizes, I'd like to be able to try on the full range too please, I like my shape and would like to show it off..on the big day?

Whinge over?

20 replies

Latest activity by cherrybloom, 9 of February of 2013 at 18:58
  • Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like youve not had the type of experience that you deserve! you will be pleased to hear that i have mermaid, column, fishtail, empire line, a line, ballgown and everthing in between, and not a single sample smaller than a size 16! unfortunately the rumours about wedding dress samples being on the small side is very true, although not with all ranges. Im starting to see more and more customers come through the door who are only size 14s but are maybe 1 dress size larger on the hips or bust and just like you they are fed up trying size 14 samples to find they nowhere near fit.

Nobody, regardless of their size, wants to feel they are actually any larger than their normal high street dress size. its soul destroyonv

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Feeling your frustration !!

I didn't want an A line dress either but if seemed to be what I was directed to, eventually after countless dress shops I just told any shop I went to that I was looking for a specific shape as I knew it was for me, although I eventually got my dress at a bridal outlet in Northallerton,

I admit I didn't find a single bridal shop that had a more fitted style in a size that fitted my bust, ( mostly squeezed into 10/12's ) stick to corset backs that allow you to see the shape of the dress on your body even if it is too small for your bust because your dress will be ordered in the size of your largest measurements (bust ) anyway then tapered in to fit your hips etc anyway.

Good Luck x

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, Luckily I am quite thick skinned so haven't broken down crying in a corner yet, especially considering I was told this dress is perfect if you lose another stone...erm who said anything about another stone..cheeky bint!!

I've taken to telling them what I want now...and the search continues!!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Don't give up your dress is out there waiting to be found !! ?

I did actually lose count of the shops I visited but it made me more determined to find "the dress"

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think you're going to the wrong shops. I'm a size 16 and a 34F bust and I was never made to feel like that, despite all the samples being a size 10 or 12.

I would say keep looking and maybe ask for shop recommendations?

• Hide content

I think Kharvs amazing dress just goes to show how perseverence pays off. Not obly did she obviously love it but it suited her so very much and she looked amazing!

Put a new thread up asking brides in your area to pass on recommendations based on the experiences they have had.Wedding dresses are ALL beautiful otherwise they wouldnt sell but the experience you have while looking for it should be just as amazing!

Sally

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh, thanks Sally! ?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Flip side..... I'm a size 14 and my Maggie Scottero dress is a size 10!!!! Just goes to show that you can't rely on labels..... Don't rule out trying on ANY dress because of what the tag says. Xx

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't Maggie dresses come in US sizes though? So you add 4 to their size to get the UK size, which would make yours just right?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't Maggie dresses come in US sizes though? So you add 4 to their size to get the UK size, which would make yours just right?

• Hide content

Your welcome Kharv. I get to see the dress you had everyday and its still one of my firm favs!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably..... Although when I picked it off the rail to try on I didn't know it was a Maggie or look at the label.... I just liked it so tried it on lol. :0)

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I did the same - it's pointless looking at the sizes in the samples. I had no idea about designers before I started shopping - I only know that about Maggie dresses because I have one too!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Which one did you get? I have the teracina xx

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    roo2605 ·
    • Hide content

I had this problem because I'm so tiny (4ft11) .... Everything was massive. Think there should be more of a size range in samples

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree Roo, a full selection for all would be good, I mean its probably the most expensive item of clothing a gal will ever buy, so we all need to chance to try before we buy!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say you need to find better shops! I don't think anything I tried on was smaller than a 14 in any style.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

It's simply impossible for bridal shops to carry their samples in multiple sizes. I didn't try on any sample above a size 10, which seemed fairly representative of the shop policy.

Sometimes, we all have to use a little imagination, whether we're a size 8 or a size 18.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

A dress shop that I work closely with stocks size 14's. Her view on it is its easier to pin/clamp the dress tighter on someone to get the idea than not be able to get the dress on at all. I thought that was a great way of doing it!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds sensible to me!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics