Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Beginner May 2025 Wiltshire

Bride 1, Bridesmaid - 0 of them.

Natalie, 12 of September of 2022 at 09:32 Posted on Planning 0 9
Hi All,

I got engaged on Saturday and am over the moon. However, I was aware before I got engaged and especially now I am engaged that I have no bridesmaids.
I have always struggled to maintain friendships, and all the "friendships" I have had tend to fade after a year or two. I have just moved to Wiltshire from Southampton and do not know anyone who lives here.
I kind of get on with my only sister, but we aren't close (I wasn't a bridesmaid at her wedding, and didn't even go to the Hen party). I have 2 nieces, 1 is 24 the other is only 2), I have no aunties, no grandmother.
My new fiancé is an only child and only has male cousins. He has his mum who I get on with (but she will likely be helping my fiancé on the day), he does have a Grandma but we didn't start on good terms. He is originally from Yorkshire and all his family are still up there so I haven't build a relationship up with his Aunties.
Basically, I have no one to be a maid of honour and no one to be a bridesmaid.
I dont have enough people to even be able to hold a Hen Party!
I am going to feel like a loner and such a billy-no-mates if I don't have females with me on the big day!
Can I really get married without a maid of honour or bridesmaid?

9 replies

Latest activity by EdwardZeklY, 2 of October of 2022 at 15:55
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I did!

In my case it was because we were having a small wedding and wanted to keep it simple. Originally I was going to have a friend help me get ready, but in the end, Covid put paid to that, so I got ready on my own. And it was fine.

However, it would be worth spending some time thinking about why you allow your friendships to 'fade'. Bridesmaids aren't important, but good friends are. It can be tempting to make your OH your 'best friend' and not put any effort into building other friendships, but over the long term it is a really good idea to have a small group of friends. They don't necessarily have to be your age, but people that you love, trust and like being with. So as you have a new start in a new location, maybe spend some time thinking about friendships and what you can do to build some really good ones for your future x

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    We are not having any wedding party roles so my lack of MOH/bridesmaids isn't really noticeable. Is your OH thinking about having a best man?
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I'm not having bridesmaids. I don't really have a super close best friend. Also, I'm not very girly so not into all that stuff- when I see hen parties out in town I'm like ugh! It's just not me. I'm also an older bride so less bothered too.
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I unfortunately suffer with a lot of trauma around abandonment. But a lot of it is just because I get used by a lot of my friends and when I finally stand up for myself the friendship ends. I do try and make friends but I'm always the more edge of the circle friend not inner circle friend if that makes sense. X
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, yeah he has two potential best man friends to pick from plus a couple of guys to be groomsmen. But we talked about it last night and he agreed to keep his Grooms party small for me.
  • Riri
    Beginner June 2023 Worcestershire
    Riri ·
    • Hide content
    Hi

I am in a massively similar position. Whilst ive got a large circle of "outer circle" friends, I dont really have anyone I'm close to to ask to be bridesmaids.
    I wish I'd had the confidence to not have any bridesmaids. It was just that immediately after I got engaged, lots of people were asking me "whos going to be your bridesmaids" and it was really embarassing to have to explain to all those people that i wasnt going to have any.
    People seem to jump to their own conclusions about why people dont have any friends too when really it can arise out of no fault of your own. I was bullied at school which affected my self confidence for a really long time and whilst i got my confidence as an adult most people have their friendship groups by then.
    Because I didnt want to have to keep answering to people as to why I didnt have any bridesmaids which I found was making my insecurities worse, I ended up asking my sister (who I dont get along with) to be a bridesmaid and a fairly recent friend (who I suspect is slightly on the autistic spectrum) to be my MOH. Unfortunately theyve both been quite difficult about a lot of aspects (e.g. coming to try on dresses) so if you do decide to have a bridal party, just bear in mind that you probably wont get any assistance/co-operation from them at all as theyre not exactly close-close with you.
    There are services (e.g. the Bridal Party Boutique) which rent out a bridesmaid for the day but i think I looked into this and it was quite expensive! And might be difficult to get them to come to try on dresses etc.

If you're planning to have a hen do, I would definitely suggest planning the bulk of that yourself as my MOH ruined mine.I met up with her once over bottomless brunch to give her a hen invitation list (and their contact numbers to set up a Whatsapp group) and gave her some initial ideas but left the actual planning to her. Big mistake. She made it really unaffordable for everyone and was really rigid and unflexible on her initial ideas, not taking anyone elses suggestions on board which led to fallouts and several people dropping out. Ive now had to pay for my own share of the hen which i hadnt accounted for in my wedding budget.
    If I was to do things again, as well as providing my MOH with the guest list & contact numbers for the hen Whatsapp group, I'd do some more research and plan some hen activities/accommodation on GoHen (which lets your guests pay in instalments) and then calculate the price per person (including my share of the hen) to make sure its affordable for everyone whilst having my share covered. Then I'd probably even draft the initial message that she would send to the others saying what's been planned for the hen to make it seem like she's the one who's planned it.
    Then all she would have had to do is just set up the Whatsapp group with the numbers i gave her, send the message i'd drafted, confirm the dates are ok with people, confirm numbers and collect the money from people.
  • A
    Beginner April 2025 Greater Manchester
    Alice ·
    • Hide content

I would also say don't feel too constrained into having to pick women for your bridal party. Whilst I'm having my sister and one female friend, I'm also having a male friend be my "bridesman". If you have guys that you're close to either as friends or as part of yours or your fiance's family you can always include them!

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Alice, you ate right. I decided to ask my probably only friend who is male (he lives on the other side of the country now) to be my "Man of Honour". The great thing is he can be quite a camp gay and even does drag shows and he is a Barber so at least I know my hair and make up will look amazing, and he will be there to make sure nothing falls out of place. X
  • E
    Beginner
    EdwardZeklY ·
    • Hide content
    Саша Белый из «Бригады» создавался на основе лидера преступной группировки

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics