Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

Bride or bridesmaids first? (church)

Purple Pixie, 29 March, 2012 at 15:41 Posted on Planning 0 20

What are you doing? Bride or bridesmaids down the aisle first?

Our vicar has said that we can do either as long as if the bridesmaids go first they move into a pew straight away as there wouldn't be room for me and my dad to get past.

20 replies

Latest activity by emmieloos, 31 March, 2012 at 10:53
  • S
    Beginner May 2012
    Stephhowell ·
    • Hide content

I think I am going to have Bridesmaids going down the aisle first, gives them a little bit of limelight and me more time to compose myself!!

They are just going to go and sit straight away and leave it clear for me and amy dad to come down.

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

I'm also having my Bridesmaids walk down first

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I went first, and wouldn't have done it any other way.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I followed the tradition. Bride first, followed by the page boys and BM and MOH - I did have a train on my dress though and that was the reason they followed me, so the MOH could sort out any train issues Smiley smile

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

BMs first is American tradition, bride first is British tradition.

I'm going with BMs first (also happens to be Australian tradition where we're getting married). I want them to have their moment too - I'll have spent a lot of money on their dresses and they'll look beautiful, so I want people to get the chance to look at them properly. Also, save the best for last!

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to send my bridesmaids first, it just makes more sense for me.

Give them their moment, and let me compose myself before walking in Smiley smile x

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely sticking with British tradition here and going first.

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going first.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I've actually surprised myself on this one, I'd like the flowergirls and BM's to go before me , like someone else said they all get a little bit of the limelight to themselves, plus I don't see the point in me going first when I'm the one that will be standing at the other end of the aisle, so kind of be in their way if the come down behind me. ( or maybe I've overthought it !! )

Its just another case of do what you like its your day !

L x

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids first so they get to be appreciated too, otherwise if I go first, people may just keep watching me while they walk down (but just realused that soudns very self centred) but I want them to be important too.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

It's really up to you and what you prefer. I think I will have mine go before me.

A comprimise if you really can't decide could be flower girl/s before you and adult bridesmaids after (assuming you have any FG)

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids first for me, a few reasons the main ones being (1) because of the music, id like the music to get to a certain point before I enter and that will be plenty of time for the bridesmaids to get down the aisle and (2) because my baby girl will be a flower girl and my little boy will be a Paige boy and Id like them to be able to make it to the other end and seated with my mum before I come in.

To be honest, I didn't even think to come first Smiley smile I didnt know it was traditional for the bride to go first, every day is a school day

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I don't mind either way, but my bridesmaid really doesn't want to go ahead of me, so it looks like I'm first!

• Tlegs
    Tlegs ·
    • Hide content

I haven't confirmed anything with our church but i prefer bm first so they can have their moment and hopefully give me time to calm my nerves!

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

My vicar insists on walking his brides in!

I have a flower girl tho so the order will be him...closely followed by her...then me and Dad...and my two BMs behind me...

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

Its going flowergirl and moh first then my 3 bm's then me. however my churches isle is also quite narrow so they will all have to sit on the pews when they get to the front, the mohs job is to hold the bouquet while im taking my vows so im not really sure how thats going to work as my moh will be seated 4th in the pew by the time i get there so il have to give it to the last bm i guess? i suppose it doesn't really matter but it is a little annoying.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

My two priests went first, then FG's, then BM's followed by me and Dad.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids will be walking down first, one at a time (its only a short-ish aisle). Then me and my dad. It'll make the ceremony last a bit longer, as we're not having any readings.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I think I´ll probably go first. I´ve got a longish train and veil so want my BM (only having 1) to be able to sort it out if need be. I´ve also got about a 50m long "aisle" (getting married outside), which will hopefully give me enough time to compose myself!

• emmieloos
    Beginner August 2015
    emmieloos ·
    • Hide content

We're having bridesmaids each walking up with an usher first as little nod to OHs american family. It also means the ushers actually get a seat at the front during the ceremony and I can have the music playing a bit longer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics