Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2015

Bridemaids dresses - custom made recommendations?

JessyLW, 28 of October of 2014 at 09:35 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi, I have four adult bridesmaids and am a little worried about getting dresses to fit them all. Their clothes sizes range from a 6 to a 16 and height from 5ft to 6ft. I very much doubt I am going to be able to find a line of dresses on the high street that are available in all petite, normal and tall size! So, I was thinking about getting the dresses from lightinthebox as have found some very nice dresses on the site and at a very reasonable price. This was until a friend of mine (who got married earlier in the year) said she had all of hers handmade - the dresses she had were lovely, they were all the same colour and length but she let the bridesmaid pick different variations e.g. One had strapless, one high necked etc. they all looked great and I thought they would cost a fortune but they didn't, she got 5 dresses (3 adult and 2 children) for under £450! But, her dress maker in based in Poole and I am based in Bristol, and my wedding in is North Devon. I am very reluctant to use a dressmaker without personal recommendations - but would it really be worth travelling to Poole (and dragging my bridesmaid from Bristol, North devon and Exeter) several times to use my friend's dressmaker, or should I stick to lightinthebox, or can anyone recommended some reasonably priced dress makers in Exeter, Bristol or Barnstaple area? Thanks!

4 replies

Latest activity by Little_MrsA2B, 28 of October of 2014 at 18:45
  • Forever&always
    Beginner September 2016
    Forever&always ·
    • Hide content

Im Essex so cant help with recommendations but i would suggest asking on social media sites or looking at your local online pages/groups for wedding supplies and businesses. I wrote on a essex wedding supplies group on fb for recommendations and its nice to get opinions rather than businesses advertising themselves. Some businesses were recommended several time so i looked into them first. I will prob doing the same as you for bridesmaid dresses as i have all different heights and one wanting to try for a baby too, so may need lots of alterations

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Forever@always. I also have the same problem and am based in Essex. Would you mind sharing your reccomendations with me please?

Thanks

x

• Forever&always
    Beginner September 2016
    Forever&always ·
    • Hide content

Not a problem! For dress maker/seamstress i would recommend a lady that lives in Hullbridge near Hockley called Marian, who works for a bridal shop called precious moments in Rayleigh. She has already made a friend's daughter's prom dress and altered two friends wedding dresses. She works from home and her number is ****.I would also recommend someone on fb that lives in Basildon who has a page called Jan's Bespoke Dresses. My friend bought 5 bridesmaids dresses from China that needed work so she did these.

if you need suggestions on any other suppliers then let me know xx

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for this. Really helpful

x

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Jessy

I'm following tis with great interest as my BMs are all different heights and shapes too! However, I am just down the road from Poole. Would you mind passing me the details of the dressmaker based in Poole please? That would be super helpful, sounds perfect!

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics