Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

Brides with a princess/tulle wedding dress.....hoop question

nicnol, 15 of June of 2011 at 10:38 Posted on Planning 1 3

Morning ladies. I went to see the alterations lady at the shop I bought my dress to get a quote on cost. Turns out my dress doesn't need any alteration on the top (I still have 4mths to go, this could change) but I was convinced it'd need some off the length (I'm only 5ft 2")

I'm not going to post a pic as I haven't got a good pic of me where you can see the bottom but as the heading describes it's 2 layers of tulle then satin skirt then another couple of layers of tulle as an attached petticoat.

When I tried it on last night (not with my actual shoes but shoes with a 4inch heel and mine are 4 1/8") I still felt it dragged on the floor as I walked (think Kate Middleton...I thought her dress just was a tad too long at the front) so I felt as if I was kicking the dress away a bit. They then put another netted underskirt under the dress to puff it out more and it made such a difference (I was slightly worried that I may look as if I was meant to be sitting on some toilet roll). I mentioned I already had a metal hoop from my previous wedding (my something old possibly ?) and she squealed with delight and said excellent it won't need to be taken up at all! I can see her point with this as after the underskirt went on it did seem to be near on perfect length.

My problem though is as the dress has been sitting in a big it was a bit scrunched up so I couldn't see the full effect of what a hoop would do and I was wondering if any of the ladies with this style dress (Mrs C and Lakegardabride your dresses pop to mind straight away) had a hoop. If I don't have the hoop I definitely need the dress taken up by about an inch.

3 replies

Latest activity by Renee, 24 of August of 2020 at 13:11
  • SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im wearing a hoop with my dress - it makes it sit out more so Im not kicking the front away when walking (I HATE seeing that in bridal magazines!). And as you pointed out, this lifts you skirt meaning less alterations required to length (this is what happened @ my first fitting, waiting on my last one).

I wanted a big dress but mine isnt tulle its french taffetta. Im assuming the hoop will be an even greater assest with layers of tulle ?

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to try the dress on again with the hoop soon but I wondered if I needed a hoop or a layered petticoat thing. I know with the hoop the dress will not be in the way of me kicking it whereas that may be the case with another petticoat!?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i have a hugue princessy ddress with a tulle skirt (see pic) and the shop advised me to wear a hop not another or more petticoast, theres enough layers as it is!! she said the benefit fo the hoop too with keep me cooler as it will make the dress 'sit away' from my body!

• Renee
    Beginner April 2025 Western Australia
    Renee ·
    • Hide content

He.lo! I bort a STUNNING Princess dress just need a 2 ring hoop? How much to hire? Also i would like to try thr 3 ring hoop? How much? And where r u based please? Call me Renee Gerber **** or email *************@*****.***

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics