Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2014

Bridesmaid and Witness help!

HappyCouple14, 4 of June of 2014 at 01:46 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hey everyone,

looking for for some advise, so this probably happens to EVERY bride.. Who to have as bridesmaids! So far my predicament is I have a circle of 6 very very close friends. 1 sister & 2 cousins who I would like involved! I have chosen my sister as maid of honour& 4 bridesmaids so far. I would like to choose 1 more bridesmaids so my numbers are not odd.. But the question is who & how do I not make the other 3 feel left out?!

So I thought perhaps chose 1 cousin as my final brides maid the 2 extra friends as my witnesses but that still leaves me 1 cousin jobless! Any ideas on something she can do to feel special?

is it odd to have two female witnesses and what should the wear? Would it be weird if they wore the same dress as my bridesmaids but a different colour? I.e BM pale pink colour and Witness peach Peach colour?

Where do they stand?

where do the sit at the reception?

Is it true they hold the rings and then pass them to the page boy?

Sorry for all the questions!!

16 replies

Latest activity by HappyCouple14, 4 of June of 2014 at 21:15
  • cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

If you're going to have separate witnesses, I wouldn't say it's normal for them to have matching outfits. But of course it's your wedding and if that's what you'd like to do, then go for it!

I'd probably seat them in the 2nd row at the ceremony and randomly, with other friends and family, on any table at the reception.

As for the "jobless" person, could they do a reading?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Ask your jobless person to do a reading.

Not odd at all to have two female witnesses - entirely your choice and personally I wouldn't ask them to wear a bridesmaid dress unless they are bridesmaids - very confusing!

I'd ask them to sit in the second row behind the bridal party.

Normally, your page boy would carry the rings up and then pass them to the best man or hold them himself, or the best man has them the whole time - you wouldn't normally ask the witnesses to hold them.

Does your OH not want to ask someone to be a witness though? No reason you can't have more than two btw, but just wondered. We're having one witness each lol

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We have two female witnesses - not odd at all. They can wear whatever they want - I think matching outfits might be a bit weird though!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I agree it is weird if they wear the same outfit as the bridesmaids but they are two of my closest friends and I really wanted them to big a big part of the day and "stand out" I

would it be weird if the witnesses wore the same dress that was different from the bridesmaids?

its so hard trying to include everyone, I'm fortunate enough to have lots of family and friends but iv tried to minimise it to my closest lot and that's how iv ended up with 9! OH doesn't mind if I have 20 bridesmaids so he doesn't mind if I choose the witnesses.

i actually read on google that it used to be traditional for the witnesses to have the rings so I'm not sure how true that is.

how many readings are your it's having?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

Also how many bridesmaids are / did you al have?

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

We had two witnesses who were separate from the bridesmaids/ushers, but they wore their own clothes. I don’t see why you can’t have them in matching dresses, but if you are going to the expense and effort of buying them outfits, then why not just have them as bridesmaids? There is no law that says you can’t have 8 or 9 bridesmaids if that’s what you want. I had 5 because they were the people I wanted with me on the day.

Someone mentioned your groom though – perhaps he might want to nominate a witness? I don’t understand the pp’s comment on having more than two though, as only two people can sign the register.

As for the rings, I’ve never heard of the witnesses holding on to them, I always thought that it was traditionally the role of the best man. It was the best man at our wedding, but again, I think you can just do what you like really.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

I would be comfortable with 6 bridesmaids I worry 8 may mean to many then my oh has to increase his groomsmen numbers. I also don't want an odd number ha!

My oh doesn't mind who the witnesses are he didn't even know we needed any ? LOL

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Im having my future step daughter, my niece and her little daughter as bridesmaids. however i have a friend who i am very close to but we are on a tight budget so i asked her to be my witness instead. She asked if she could wear the same colour as the bridesmaids which i thought was a lovely idea xx

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I say have them as bridesmaids!!

im having 5 bridesmaids, 4 groomsmen, 2 page boys, a flower girl and 4 family members in suits (dad and brothers). Yes it will be busy but we love them all!!!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

I forgot to mention my step son is page boy and my oh twin neices are the flower girls!

As I don't have a dad to give me away I. Asked my uncle, does he stand at the alter as a groomsman or do we ask him separately to be a groomsman?

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I'm in a similar predicament, in that I have my sister, OHs sister, friends and niece as bridesmaids but nothing to do with my brothers partner (who I call my SIL, even though they're not married)

So she will be a witness, because I really want to involve her but not as a bridesmaid (as I already have plenty of those!)

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

It's not that I don't want them to be bridesmaids it's just I feel silly having 9 bridesmaids and 9 groomsmen a page boy two flower girls for a wedding of 130 people. It's not in a church either!

We are getting married on the beautiful "monkey island" in bray on Thames so it's not as though there's a huge area for all these people stand Smiley sad

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Happy Couple, we're only having a wedding of 60 of which 16 will be bridal party members (plus obviously my mum and OH's mum). Lol.

Our attitude is 'we love them and want them there' who cares if it looks 'odd'. If you want them as bridesmaids then have them!!!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh and if your Uncle is giving you away I assume he's walking you up the ailse? So won't need to be at the alter Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

I thought that about uncle but just wanted to check, if never been to a wedding so it's all new to me Smiley smile

how how many readings are you having?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HappyCouple14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies guys. I need a long hard think. I asked the 4 bm and maid of honour 4 weeks ago I still am so confused!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics