Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Curious October 2022 North Yorkshire

Bridesmaid can’t afford to come to the wedding

Georgie, 26 of August of 2022 at 03:39 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
The other night I called one of my bridesmaids to chat through a few things as the wedding is only a few weeks away now and she’s had no real involvement with anything so far. (For the record, I don’t mind as for similar reasons I wasn’t able to be that involved for her wedding a few years ago).
Agenda item 1 was sorted nice and quickly as it was a work question.
Agenda item 2 was about asking her to send me the money for accommodation for the wedding. She raised it before I could. I told her in about October last year the cost of accommodation at the venue, giving her about 11-12 months notice. I was upfront with her about cost as I knew money was tight, but hoped that with enough notice she’d be able to cover it offa

5 replies

Latest activity by Ajx, 26 of August of 2022 at 15:55
  • G
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    Edit. (Didn’t mean to post yet. Phone froze and posted by accident, and there appears to be no way of editing once posted).

*hoped that with enough notice she’d be able to cover it off. She’s just told me that she now can’t afford the accommodation costs and is going to stay nearby (ish) with relatives rather than at the venue. I understand why and it’s not my place to get upset with her for that, but the prospect of her being dislocated for the night before and the morning of is causing me concern. I missed out on a lot in the lead up to her wedding due to work (we work for the same organisation and she completely understood my situation at the time). I don’t want her to miss out on any more events for mine, especially because of cost, but I don’t have a magic wand to fix it all for her. The perfect answer would be to throw money at the problem, but unfortunately that’s not really a viable solution in this instance.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for ways I could try to find some sort of solution to this situation? Or thoughts on how to ensure that she doesn’t accidentally get cut off from the rest of the bridal party by not physically being there?
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Could she not stay at a nearby hotel and then come to your hotel very early the morning of so that she is involved in all the morning preparation? A few of my bridesmaids aren't staying at the accommodation but are going to come very early so they are there the whole morning and are included in the getting ready, photos etc

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what all my bridesmaids are doing! Our venue is a ridiculously expensive hotel and I didn't expect anyone to shell out for it - they're all staying in the town about a 20min walk or 5min taxi ride away and arranging a group taxi to get to me first thing in the morning Smiley smile

• G
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies, this is giving me a bit of confidence back that it won’t make things too difficult.
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A few of my bridesmaids are staying in our hotel but it’s also very close to where some others live so I’d never expect them to pay to stay somewhere the night before when they could just get a taxi there in the morning 😊 as long as they are there for the morning that’s the main thing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics