Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2015

Bridesmaid changing out of dress

Bride 2 Be 2015, 29 of April of 2015 at 09:10 Posted on Planning 0 19

Is it the norm for bridesmaids to change out of their dresses in the evening? I've been to some weddings and seen this happen and others where they have kept them on all night... what are your experiences of this?

19 replies

Latest activity by Miss-KEM, 29 of April of 2015 at 19:55
  • M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

When my sister got married I truly, truly hated the dresses that she made us wear. As a compromise, she said I could change out of it for the evening do, but to be honest, I got so swept up in the excitement I never got the time!

I'm not sure I would be happy about them doing it 'just because,' but if they really hated their dress then I would be ok with it. Having said that, I wouldn't make my BM's wear a dress they hated. I'm not sure that has helped in any way, but jsut my opinion!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't been to a massive amount of weddings but I've never seen the BMs change at the ones I've been to. I've been a BM twice as an adult and despite the fact I was really uncomfortable in my dress in the most recent one I didn't take it off. I just got drunk and stopped caring that I looked huge! ?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I only saw this at one wedding.

I think if the bride has bought the dresses it's only polite to keep them on for the day. If they are paying themselves then they should be able to do what they want.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^ Agree with Halloweeny

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Never seen it, and to be honest would never do it!

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    Brooksy ·
    • Hide content

I have only ever seen this happen at one wedding where the BM in question was a single mum with 2 young childen with her and was wearing a very restrictive, poofy skirted 50's style dress with all sorts of underskirts which was making it very difficult for her to chase them around and look after them in the evening. She got changed into a nice, but much more comfortable dress. Generally, I would be surprised if I saw the BM's get changed out of their dresses.

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

At my step sisters wedding i got changed in the evening too a different dress in the same colour i was very uncomfortable the dresses had been brought whilst i was away from bhs but we paid for them kinda just got told too pay for them after she had got them, however my dress was 2 sizes too big and liberally hung off me but i was unable too exchange it as it was a old season style and they had no others and after spending the best part of the day flashing my boobs at everyone i got changed at about 10pm the bride was aware i was going too change and wasnt bothered, aslong as i was in the photos with it on thats all that mattered xx

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

In alllll the weddings we've shot, I have never seen this! (aside from one Bridesmaid who got baby sick down her)

I think i'd want to keep my dress on for as long as possible as a bridesmaid. Shoes though, that's another matter ?

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Last wedding I was at the BMs changed into jeans and tshirts as soon as the photos were finished. I hope mine will like what I pick enough to wear it all night!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't like ad adults do it u less a reason like looking after kids being restricted. Children though I wouldn't mind too much, my nephew at my sisters wedding took his expensive suit off I. Favour of a Spartacus outfit.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I've seen children and adults do it. i've even seen a bride do it. she took off her alfred angelo dream dress and put on pedal pushers and a vest top at about 8.30pm!

as long as the dresses are on for the formals/ceremony/food, i don't see a huge problem. especially once the tog has gone.

but then i'm hideously laid back about things lol

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I was a BM at my sisters wedding and had a floor length dress, and spanx on - very uncomfortable and not something I enjoyed dancing in. We had all our photos taken and the speeches at the venue, then I slipped upstairs and changed into a dress I had brought with me, so I could dance freely. My sister had put £50 towards my dress, and I had paid £45, but I don't think paying for a dress changes anything - just depends what you're comfortable in!

My sister changed out of her wedding dress towards the end of the night and was dancing in her jeans and UGG boots!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Ive seen brides do it and grooms and groomsmen, and Dads but funny enough cant remember ever seeing a bridesmaid do it

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

I've done it. My bad! But I'm not a dress wearer and I agreed to wear the dress and be bm based on the fact I could get changed after all photos etc. I wasn't comfortable in it. I hated every second. But I wore it for her. Was so happy to get into something more "me" afterwards. However, now I'm planning my own I am hoping she doesn't do the same to me lol

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Never seen this happen!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I've never seen it at a wedding. If one of my BM's was really uncomfortable I would compromise by saying she could change for the evening. I'm hoping though that we'll pick something they're both happy with, also both BMs are used to dresses and heels so I can't see them asking to change.

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    Bride 2 Be 2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies, I'm glad its not just me that thinks its a little odd then! I did buy her dress for her and she was there when I did so, helping to choose, along with my other bridesmaids. I've asked her why she wants to change as I was worrying that she didn't like the dress. She said she loves the dress and insisted its because she doesn't want to spill alcohol down it when it comes to the dancing later on. So I have said that she can change if she wants to once the evening guests have arrived/ photographer has left etc. but that I did buy the dress for her and it's hers to keep so not to worry too much, and that it could always be cleaned..... kinda hoping she stays in it but I expect on the day I really won't care too much and its not worth upsetting anyone over. My other bridesmaids are a little miffed and say they couldn't imagine wanting to take the dress off so at least some of them will be getting my monies worth out of them for the full day Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

I think its down to the bride and groom to decide. It is her wedding day and if she would like the bridal party to remain in their outfits all day then i think that should be respected regardless of who paid for the dress. In all the weddings i have been to including one where i was a brides maid i have never seen any of the bridal party (including groomsmen) change their outfits. I wouldn't be overly happy if my bridesmaids wanted to change outfits after all the time and money spent to get things to co-ordinate. I would like to think that comprises would be made before the wedding so that everyone involved is happy and comfortable in the dress so that wouldn't be an issue.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

My best friend is very much a tomboy. She liked the dress she wore for my first wedding, but changed into jeans, heels and a nice top after the first dance. It didn't bother me. I already knew she hates dresses when I asked her to be BM. It wouldn't have been fair of me to expect her to keep it on all day, even after the photos are done and it doesn't matter anymore. Changing in the evening seemed to be a fair compromise.

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Miss-KEM ·
    • Hide content

I've been a bridesmaid twice. 1st time i was about 14 and we changed for the evening. 2nd time i was about 20 and stayed in my dress all day despite it being quite uncomfortable.

I'm hoping my bridesmaids like there dresses and planning on getting something they'll be comfortable in. However, if they want to change on the evening i'll be ok with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics