Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner June 2014

Bridesmaid dilema!

Eilcam, 20 December, 2012 at 08:50 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hey guys,

I have chosen 3 definate bridesmaids - 2 are my wee cousins (16) and my friend , however I am realy quite close to the girl I work with (there is only 2 of us) we chat all the time and have a laugh etc. Anyway I was wanting to ask her to be a bridesmaid aswell, but when I told my mum she thinks that it will be too many as Im having a fairly small wedding. My OH thinks its weird because I know her from work and, even though he says he doesnt care, I know he kind of wanted me to ask his daughter (she got married a year ago and it was a nighgtmare - we were told what outifit to wear etc) I digress., so I dont want to ask her because as far as Im concerned , she had her day and I was going to get her kids (2 and 3) to do the horse shoe part..... AM i being awful for not wanting his daughter and i am being an idiot for wanting to ask the girl i know from work? would love to hear your opinion please

, thanks, Eil x

8 replies

Latest activity by thebestman, 20 December, 2012 at 14:12
  • Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Personally, id have OHs daughter over a work college. She might not be your first choice, but i suspect she would be your OHs choice and she is obviously important to him. The way I see it, is that its my OHs day too and if there was the the spare funds for another dress i wouldnt want to miss her out. But then I have been known to be 'too' accommodating.

• E
    Beginner June 2014
    Eilcam ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I know what you mean but they are not close and without trying to make excuses she has the habit of treating him like Sh*t... and he isnt having his son as anything...aarrgghhh how naive am i... i didnt think it would be this difficult to pick a BM... I think maybe I should just stick to my cousins and friend as originally planned and thenn OH daughter wont be offended because i have a work colleague over her....?

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I think you should have who you want - if he wants her involved it can be as a reading or something.

Personally I hit a number and then it started to get complicated as there was a few that I could have been expected to have - so I stopped and just had the 'originals'.

• E
    Beginner June 2014
    Eilcam ·
    • Hide content

I do think that may be the best - having the originals.... a reading sounds a great idea! I never thought of that.. maybe her and her brother can do one together? thank you very much for your reply x

• Tolli098
    Savvy June 2023 Hampshire
    Tolli098 ·
    • Hide content

And mayb ask ur work friend to b a witness wen u sign if u want to involve her as well. X

• E
    Beginner June 2014
    Eilcam ·
    • Hide content

Aahhh genius idea!! thanks so much x

• F
    Beginner September 2013
    FutureClayton ·
    • Hide content

I had a similar dilemma, I've moved about quite a bit over the past 10 years from Essex to Spain and back to Manchester!! I always knew my sister would be my chief bridesmaid but then I have two good friends up here, both work colleagues ( one left to start own business last Christmas) . My oh wondered why I didn't ask old friends, but as much as I love my friends in Essex, they don't know me so well anymore, I wanted my bm's to be close to me and involved in decision making and organising. I asked sis and the friend that had left work straight away but he other girl I work with I was worried she may think ' why the hell has she asked me' lol, I just get on really well with her and she actually reminds me a lot of my sister. When I asked her she was over the moon and cried!! She's become one of my best friends and has been amazing in the planning of wedding!!

Just when I though things were perfect my mil decided to pull me to one side and ask me why I haven't asked oh's sisters to be bm's and if it was about money she would pay for dresses?!?! I had to be firm but polite and explain that although I love all of his family, on my wedding day I think being a bm is more than just putting on a pretty dress and posing for pictures, I want to be surrounded by people who get me, i get along with amazingly with and who know my likes and pet hates and that will help make my day run smoothly. It didn't go down too well but she understood and I explained that I will be including them in the service. She's happy about it now ( I think??).

go wih who you want in your heart it's your day!

• T
    thebestman ·
    • Hide content

While reading i was just thinking the same... that way everybody gets to be part of the wedding and be happy...?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics