Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsAmbrose
Beginner November 2023 East Sussex

Bridesmaid Dilemma

MrsAmbrose, 1 of January of 2021 at 19:05 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi all,

I got engaged over Christmas 2020 (so very recently) and I have started doing a small amount of planning. Before I got engaged I had in my head the friends I would ask to be bridesmaids, but since getting engaged and more thought has gone into it, I've found this decision more tricky. I want some outside advice.

I have six close friends, the first 4 (listed below) are from one group and two who are separate friends of mine. I'm going to refer to them by initials for the purpose of this post.

R is my best friend who I have known for 15 years, lives locally

V is a close friend who I have known for 15 years, lives locally

L is a close friend who I've known for 7 years, lives locally

R is a close friend who I've known for 10 years, lives locally

L is my other best friend who I have known for 4 years but has recently moved to the other side of the country.

M is a close friend who I've known for 2 years and who lives locally but regularly travels out of the country (5-6 times a year)

The cost of having 6 bridesmaids is dawning on me, it's going to be really expensive and the last two have geographical barriers which make things difficult. I could just have the first 4 but L would be really upset as she's a best friend of mine, but I'm concerned about the fact she's moved to the other side of the country, it isn't very practical?

HELP!! What do I do? Ps. I'm trying to go for an even number if I can.

18 replies

Latest activity by MrsAmbrose, 2 of January of 2021 at 15:37
  • Lucy
    Curious April 2022 East Sussex
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Do you have any sisters or partners sister you could have as bridesmaids? It might reduce uncomfortable situation if you do family instead
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately no siblings and my partners sister I’m not very close to, she is also painfully shy, so wouldn’t want any attention.
  • Lucy
    Curious April 2022 East Sussex
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay in that case if it was me, I would go for the two separate friends not the group of 4. It reduces the cost and having to choose within the group.
  • Y
    Beginner June 2021 Northumberland
    Yvy ·
    • Hide content
    Think at the end of the day it is your wedding and you want to have people beside you that will make your day easy and be helpful. Dont rush to make the choice you have time. Another way is to ask some friends who may not make the list to help you carry out some wedding duties so they feel they have contributed to the wedding. I.e. like creating the seating chart etc
  • Georgina
    Curious April 2022 Essex
    Georgina ·
    • Hide content
    To be honest you need to have who you want & not who you don’t want to upset!
    I always wanted a huge bridal party with my 3 best friends, sister and sister in law to be however since getting engaged we have decided on a small wedding and only one bridesmaid, my very best friend!

When I told the others my decision they didn’t mind and we’re not upset, they were just pleased to be invited to share our day.
    Good luck x
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    ? agree with Georgina.
    I’m having 3 and honestly Covid has cemented the 3 I’ve asked. Remember it’s about what you and your OH want. Good luck
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I definitely need more time to think about it!
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks that’s helpful x
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, this is helping with my decision. 6 is way too much x
  • Amy
    Beginner July 2022 Cheshire
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    Hi,

First of all congratulations on your engagement! We got engaged in September 2020 and I had the same dilemma. Girls for years who I have said would be my bridesmaid but now we aren’t as close though still count as a good friend. My advice would be don’t rush into anything - there’s not great rush to ask them. I haven’t asked mine yet. Like the others girls have said in this group - it’s your day and should be who you want not who you think would be upset if they didn’t get asked. If they are real friends and know you well they won’t be upset (or at least shouldn’t show it to you) If they don’t get asked. You could get the other 2 to do a reading at your wedding so they are still part of the day. Good luck and happy wedding planning! ?xx
  • Kim
    Beginner April 2022 West Midlands
    Kim ·
    • Hide content

Firstly Congrats !

I got engaged Nov 2019 and I have 6 in my team - 5 girls and 1 boy.

Don't rush it, see who is by your side for the next couple of weeks while you start the planning process.

I have 6 of which 1 moved to Ireland, nearly 1 year ago but is included in everything too, I personally think its as hard as you make it, if your friends are really good friends they will make things happen.

Good Luck ! xx

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Pick the ones you want to be there with you, not the ones you think you should have.

If you want all six, maybe get them to buy their own dresses within a certain colour scheme. Or have some take part in the ceremony in other ways, such as giving readings.

• ExpensiveOrangeFlowers56246
    Beginner October 2021
    ExpensiveOrangeFlowers56246 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Yes be honest with them, any real friends would understand and be on board!

Is there anything else they could be involved with? Hen party planning, dress shopping, looking at flowers?

If you did decide to have them all maybe keep up to date with sales on the usual dress websites, maybe ask them to buy their own shoes?

• E
    Beginner September 2022 West Sussex
    ExpensiveRedConfetti46282 ·
    • Hide content
    I’m in the same boat as you!
    Still debating what to do. But money wise I cannot have everyone. I think if they are true friends they will understand. We hope.
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice ? I definitely think I’m worrying too much about others x
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, great advice x
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    100% I’m hoping they’ll understand. I want all to be involved in the wedding in some capacity but 6 is not only expensive but also it’ll be a logistical nightmare especially for the two friends I listed at the end x
  • MrsAmbrose
    MrsAmbrose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! I’m worrying too much about what others think. If I want all it’s a financial burden. I know they’ll pay for one thing such a hair or makeup but probably not the dress! Therefore I have to compromise. I’m hoping they are understanding. Good luck with your decision too x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics