Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner September 2024 Cambridgeshire

Bridesmaid dilemma - do i have to reciprocate?

Rooki, 17 of October of 2022 at 12:00 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 2

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married in 2024 and one of my friends is getting married in 2023. She asked me to be her bridesmaid and is paying for dresses, hair and make up. I was a little surprised as we're not that close and now I'm not sure what to do about my bridesmaids.

I wasn't planning on asking her but I'm not sure how to broach this without causing offence. I could invite her to be a bridesmaid but I have other friends who I'm closer to. We are having 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen so it's not exactly a small wedding party. I'm also not normally someone who does things just to please others.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to approach this? Thanks!

2 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 17 of October of 2022 at 16:43
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely you do not have to reciprocate. Is your wedding and your choice. I was MOH for my sister in law but she was not part of my bridal party. You could maybe broach it that you already have your bridal party chosen so don't have space for another BM but maybe you could ask her to do a reading, if you felt comfortable with that?

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

It's SUCH a tricky situation when you're wedding planning at the same time. As Charlotte said, you don't have to reciprocate but it's one of those awkward things where it's often expected/feels like a statement if you don't.

How many bridesmaids is the other bride having? It's a different situation if you're one of 8 for her but you're only having 4. Similarly, are any of yours or hers siblings/family? One of my bridesmaids is having (/forced to have) mostly family as her bridesmaids so unless she can convince her family to let her do her own thing, I know I won't be a bridesmaid because her priority for her wedding is to please her very particular families where obligation is a huge deal (whereas I have no obligation people in my party so can be whoever I like), I still know we value each other the same but our wedding situations are very different. So worth thinking if there's anything like that in your situation that could soften the blow.

As Charlotte says, you could ask her to do a reading... but I personally am of the opinion that if you're not that close to someone (as you say you feel you aren't) then you shouldn't feel pressured into including them just out of obligation. However, it's worth being aware that a lack of reciprocation could damage the friendship a bit, depending on how the other bride takes it - the gist of the situation boils down to her valuing you more as a friend than you do her (which is fine and valid and happens sometimes, but can be a bit awkward!). Would you want this person to be a closer friend than they are? If so, a reading might be a good olive branch. If not, be as kind as you can but be aware there might be a bit of a fall out as a result.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics