Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

Bridesmaid dilemma! Help please!

beckimas, 29 of August of 2013 at 16:31 Posted on Planning 0 5

As the title says, i'm in a bit of a bridesmaid dilemma for my wedding in September 2014. I have chosen my best friend to be my maid of honour and 2 sis-in-laws to be bridesmaids. OH and i have discussed and we can't have more than 3 bridesmaids/ushers each so that's my 3 taken. Problem is I have another friend, who I am actually maid on honour for at her wedding in February 2014. We used to be close as ohs are close too but I really don't see much of her anymore, only really for birthdays. I was surprised that I was asked to be her maid of honour as thought she would choose her sister. Thing is she never texts me to see how I am (or how my 1 year old is), when I text her I get 1 sentence replies, we barely see each other so I don't understand how she thinks we are that close. She doesn't really have many other friends of her own whereas I do and have had to let a lot of people down. Thing is they have all understood that we have a limited budget and I've picked my best friend and 2 sis-in-laws, whereas this friend I know will say to my face she is fine but will actually be really upset about it (had this a few months back when I didn't ask her to be my sons godmother). Everyone keeps saying to me that I can't just have her because she asked me and that its my wedding so my decision and I do agree but i really don't want to hurt her feelings. What makes it worse is she isn't very well at the moment...shes suffering with anorexia so really isn't in a very good place and I'm worried I may make things worse. Don't know whether to tell her or leave it a while and just not say anything for now. Her oh has told me that i will upset her whichever way i tell her so i'm just feeling like a load of c**p Smiley sad anyone been in a similar situation? and if so how did you resolve it?

And breathe......sorry for the rant! X

5 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 29 of August of 2013 at 20:08
  • P
    Beginner August 2014
    Purplemunchkin ·
    • Hide content

You have to choose the people who will help you to enjoy your day, not people you feel obligated to choose but don't really want.

You've explained all of the reasons why you don't want her, and they are perfectly legitimate reasons. Have you explained it to her gently?

As for worrying about making her anorexia worse, as long as you aren't cruel to her then you shouldn't blame yourself for that. H2B has a mental illness and he has taught me that I am not responsible for making him better or worse, he is. If she tries to say that you have made it worse then, harsh as it sounds, that is another reason not to have her.

• M
    Beginner December 2013
    Mrs W-at-last! ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun,

I had a kind of similar situation. Growing up, my very best friend and I made a pact that we'd each be the others MOH when we got married. But as is life, things change. When I got engaged I too realised I couldn't afford more than 3 bridesmaids. Problem is - I have 2 sisters and a niece who I also love dearly and who made it obvious they wanted to be my bridesmaids (as well as cousins etc etc!). It was a really difficult decision to make; however it had to be done. I didn't want to dwell on it so I told her as soon as I could, and yes she was a bit gutted, but I explained my reasons and she did understand.

That being said, I haven't left her out completely, and I'm still getting her involved in my day. I have asked her to help my MOH (sister) in planning my hen do. And I have also asked her to read a poem at our ceremony. We have even gone shopping together for her wedding outfit - it's not the same as my bridesmaids but it coordinates with our colours Smiley smile

I think as long as you explain your reasons you should not feel guilty. It is true what they say - it is your big day and you should involve people as much or as little as you want to. You can't please everyone! But if you want to, maybe giving her some special duties for the day (such as a reading) might lessen the blow.

Good luck Smiley smile x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I was a bridesmaid for a friend two years before my own, but I had my two sisters and no one else. Also, by the time my wedding came round we weren't keeping in touch anymore, so I didn't even explain the situation, I simply didn't ask her.

In your situation, I'd probably mention to your friend, when you see her, that you need to ask your two sisters in law and friend, and that you can't really have any more than that. You're not being unreasonable!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

My feeling is that you should have whoever you want to be your bridesmaids and certainly shouldn't choose someone because they chose you. Having said that, I have an anorexic daughter so I understand a little of what your friend is going through. Anorexics have a tendency to push their friends away, partly so they can hide their behaviour and mostly because the illness is so time consuming and absorbing that they genuinely can't deal with anything else. This may explain why you've had so little contact recently. From her point of view, anorexic brain in control, she thinks you've deserted her. Deep inside she probably knows she is being illogical but genuinely can't help it. Please don't change your plans to make her feel better, but please also don't think you're making it worse. I can guarantee you're not xxx

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah agree with the others, don't think you should feel too bad about this.
    Its really not your fault and you don't have legitimate reasons for not having her, as someone suggested you could maybe mention to her next time you'd love to have her but only limited to 3 and you want to keep it in the family or something.
    She might be a bit upset but will hopefully understand that that's just how it is and come around to it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics