Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Random Name

Bridesmaid drama. Am I alone?

Random Name, 29 December, 2011 at 07:42 Posted on Planning 0 9

I like to think I'm a giving person and always there for my friends. One of the few times I actually ask people for help and they aren't there for me.

For a minute I thought I was being bridezilla until I spoke to a couple other people who told me that her behaviour wasn't acceptable. Why is it that when it comes to weddings people lose sight of what it's all abouts and try to make it about them?

Anyone else had issues with BM's?

9 replies

Latest activity by yummymummy81_123, 30 December, 2011 at 11:58
  • charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my sister who thinks it her wedding! She created about the bm dresses (colour/length/style etc), shoes, hen weekend, how cold it's going to be and loads more. I told her to stop being a bridesmaidzilla and to put up with it or don't be bridesmaid, that soon shut her up!

• E
    Beginner June 2012
    ExcitedBride.com ·
    • Hide content

Oh I feel your pain! I have four and its a nightmare. I seriously think if I could turn back time I wouldnt have asked 3 of them, and just had the one! Especially one, who wanted to pick and choose the most expensive BM dress out there. We had a big barny about it all, I told her not to be a f*cking BM then! Some how it got turned around on me!

I havent back down, its my day, my budget.

All Ive asked them to do together or seperately is to get some hen night ideas......and so far with only 6 months to go nothing has been discussed.

Im out tonight with then so Im hoping they show themselves in a better light and tell me some ideas.

Otherwise I may well crack and give them what for...

You'd think as my best friends they would want to but they just cant be bothered it seems :-(

• Vampyrbuffy
    Beginner June 2012
    Vampyrbuffy ·
    • Hide content

You are definetly not alone on this one lol the biggest annoying thing i find is that one of my sisters is a BM and every time i have an opinion or say no to something she starts on about me being a bridezilla. I did tell her if i was one would i have let her pick the dress she is going to b wearing and shoes, would i let her decide what is happening with her hair, etc.....

• Maid Marian
    Beginner March 2012
    Maid Marian ·
    • Hide content

http://dwdf.daisypath.com/KZYb.png

You are not alone at all. I actually took the plunge and culled from my original 4 bridemaids to two - rather long story but essentially, I realised that I had grown apart from the other two and had asked them to be BM as I thought it was "the thing to do". I arranged for a weekend away shopping for all 4 of us which was also a good opportunity to catch up & have a couple of nights out, or so I thought. The cracks showed up quite quickly and without going into further detail one of the BM behaved like a spoilt brat the whole time and I realised I was just not as close with two of the girls as I used to be. One of the BMs spent the weekend sulking and being selfish and I just knew it was not going to work. I made my decision based on the fact it is meant to be the BRIDES day, and the last thing you need to be doing is pacifying a stroppy BM/getting frustrated when the other girls having to pitch in far more than her to compensate.

I know it is quite contraversial, but it was DEFO the right thing for me to do- it turns out one of the original 4 was actually quite pleased to be relieved of her BM dutuies as she is now planning her own wedding in June, and the other....well she predictably threw a strop, and I have not heard from her since.

My advice to any brides-to-be having BM issues would be to stop, and think about which of them are actually there for you on a day to day basis, care about you and will be happy to help out - some BMs may actually make better wedding guests!!

Good luck with it all xx

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel. I am dreading picking my bridesmaids. Thinking about just having my little sisters as bridesmaids to make it easier.

At least you have confirmation now that you aren't being unreasonable and that she is being a nightmare. I don't know how close you are so not sure to suggest to talk to her about it or not. Tough one.

• W
    Beginner August 2012
    waggamama ·
    • Hide content

What a nightmare! It seems like they really don't have YOU in mind. I know my mum really wanted me to have my little sister as BM, as my elder sister is MH. Now, I'm not being funny, but I really hate my little sister. We've never gotten along, at all, andi t would seem really obscene and ridiculous to me to have her in an important role on the day when she won't appreciate it and will probably just try to make it about her. I realise I sound like a brat now, but I don't care, and I didn't at the time; it's our wedding, after all! Why should we have someone we don't like as BM?!

I decided to just have my niece as flower girl, and my older sister really begged to be MH, so I told her she could be because I know she would take it seriously. She's very thoughtful and would make sure I had everything covered, so I felt that was a nice thing for both of us.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister wasn't quite that bad but she made me feel awful about choosing a BM dress she didnt like. In the end they all chose their own, just wasnt worth the stroppy face! My CBM seems to have forgotten that I exist though...

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

I've avoided adult bridesmaids and just having 2 small ones and a small pageboy... hoping I have made the right decision- will still have friends with me getting ready, just think they will be better as guests and doing readings at the wedding than as bridesmaids...

• Vickydrip
    Beginner July 2012
    Vickydrip ·
    • Hide content

I have told my 3 adult bridesmaids that I am picking dresses, shoes and flowers, but they can do their hairs how they want and have make up how they want.

I told them when I got engaged that I may become a bridezilla (although i don't think I have yet!?!?!) and that they jus have to put up with me :-) and apologised in advance.

My mum is a little worried that they may look better that I will, or take the shine off of me, but I have told her that they won't.

I have listened to my bridesmaids when they did put forward a suggestion. I originally wanted them to have strapless dresses but all 3 suggested to me that they would prefer dresses with straps as they feel more comfortable in those :-)

My advice/thoughts are that you are not being stroppy, the day is all about you, not them.

• yummymummy81_123
    Beginner April 2012
    yummymummy81_123 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I felt like this at the beginning but I have now come to the conclusion that what will be will be and im not stressing im having 6 bm i chief flower girl and 2 little fg

I have been planning for over 18 months and im getting married in 16 weeks yahoo still i am yet to get them all together it took me 12 attempts to get them together to get there measurements for there dresses and the same for there shoes i got 6 wearing one style of shoes and one with n0 shoes up to now as they are royal blue and she is choosing not to wear heels like everyone else.

I have booked my Hairdresser and make up for the day and still after 6 phone calls text and face book messages do not know who is having what. I asked them to choose a style so I can show my hairdresser yet I still only know what 2 of them are having.

1 bm my sister is saying she cant ready with us all because of her children 28 22 and 12 so she will meet us at the church not having pics in the hotel were we are staying the night before : (

I now just send out a global message Eg im doing invite this weekend with wine and snack all welcome and just work with who turns up

I have learnt not to stress and leave hem to it because its not worth the upset as I choose them because they are all special to ma and feel maybe im just not as special to them

Zoe xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics