Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2011

Bridesmaid dress - 2 styles, 2 colours - would this work?

MISSMAYFLOWER, 20 of September of 2010 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi girls

We went looking at bridesmaid dresses at the weekend and I think we have found two styles that we like (both Dessy - one shoulder syles). However, we think one style will suit some of the girls more than the other (I'm having 4 bridesmaids) so my question is - would it look silly to have two different dresses, two girls in each? Also, if we have different dresses, I was thinking one style would be purple, the other apple green - would this work or would it look too disjointed? Would we be better picking either different dresses same colour or same dress, different colour?

I think it would work but just having a few doubts so any thoughts/experience would be great

x

18 replies

Latest activity by *Nursey*, 4 of October of 2010 at 20:29
  • Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

I think this would look fine. I am also thinking of having 2 styles due to bridsmaids feeling better in different things. I think 2 different colours would look fab too!

x

• S
    Beginner March 2011
    shenyan ·
    • Hide content

Hi we are a wedding dress factory ,we can custom-made dress for u any size any colour any style

if u want to know more

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/shenly1010?_rdc=1

********@*******.***

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I am considering this too.

I have 3 girls a size 6-12 and 2 girls in an 18-20.

Thinking of having the bigger girls in a dark navy floor length dress and the others in a bright red mid-dress.

Simular gowns but not the same. Probably:

and this in Navy:

or these:

and this in Navy if possible:

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsDicken2b ·
    • Hide content

I think different dress styles is fine, but I'm not sure having two different colours would look good. Its one of those need to see it moments. Although I think having different shades of one colour can look really nice.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on having my 4 BMs in the same colour but different dresses. Just so they can have a dress that they feel comfortable in.

As for 2 different colours - its not my cuppa tea, but I think if done right can look really good in the pictures.

Have you thought about how to co-ordinate the two colours everywhere else i.e. the mens cravats/waistcotes, stationary etc? If there is a clear theme going on I think it would look fab!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I agree with MrsT2B - my OH is wearing his mititary uniform which is Navy and red and our mens suits are going to be navy and red.

We have the same theme running through our cake, table decs, wedding post box, favours, sign post for reception etc so I think it would work - isolated though i'm not so sure?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My BMs are having different outfits, but one is a boy and won't wear a dress?

I think you should have whatever you want. I once saw pictures of a wedding where there were 7 bridesmaids, each one in a different colour, and standing in line they made a rainbow!

I think as long as the styles aren't drastically different it will look fine. If they're both Dessy it shouldn't be a problem.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I saw something simular - her theme was "all colours" - she had a pink, red, yellow, purple, baby pink, burnt orange..

Was fab, but again it wasn't just the bridesmaid dresses, the flowers matched, the cake ribbon did, even the ribbon on her boquet did and the chair covers were done in a table colour but each table had a different one.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! We have the opposite problem Smiley winking We've got a Man of Honour who would LOVE to wear a dress !!!!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are having this sort of thing. I have 5 BMs and 6 colours so each BM is wearing the same dress in a different colour and then their flowers will all be the 6th colour (which is yell) with the ribbon co-ordinating with their dress. My flowers will be the same flowers (All gerberas) but I am having all of the colours in my bouquet with yellow ribbon.

Our Best Men, ushers and my uncle will be wearing different colour cravats to co-ordinate with the BMs and then H2B and his 2 sons will wear yellow cravats.

We have 12 tables at our reception so having each table one colour, so 2 tables of each colour in total.

And I am making all of our invites and am doing them all the same design but in each of the 6 colours so one guest will get pink, another will get orange, another purple etc !

My planning pics are here so gives you an idea of my 'vision' !!!

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=178867256

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My girls have this in Midnight Blue, its stunning

OP- Yes I think it would look fab! I would likely go the same colour in different shades but it could work either way

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I did a wedding the other week & she had different colours but in the same dress, the flowers were all different colours & the table centres had the colours mixed as well. It looked really colourful. I'll post some pics when the tog sends them over.

• C
    Beginner October 2010
    cannotbelieveit ·
    • Hide content

I've got 3 bridesmaids 2 are a similar shape and the third is completely different. I therefore got them slightly different styles. Our colour scheme is brown, gold and cream. 1 bridesmaid is in chocolate brown and the other 2 are in gold. The 2 in gold have chocolate brown wraps and the 1 in brown has a gold wrap. They will all have cream flowers. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but I think will fit in well with our theme!

• G
    Beginner February 2011
    goody51 ·
    • Hide content

I think different styles would work well, especially as not everyone likes or suits strapless. Not sure about the two colours, but I love purple so that's just my opinion.

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!

I am having slightly different styles but have stuck to the same colour.

Both are Dessy so the material is the same. They will be violet, with the longer one having an ivory sash.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

We were thinking of these dresses

I think they might work together but its so hard when you cant see the dresses in the colour you want in the same shops!

• S
    Beginner March 2011
    shenyan ·
    • Hide content

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I think if its well thought out and is reflected in other parts of the wedding (flowers for example) it could work very well! Purple and Apple Green, if those are the colours in the photos you posted, actually look really nice together (imo!)

And different style of dresses - absolutely. Nothing worse than seeing bridesmaids in the same dress when the shape/style clearly doesn't suit the shape/size of some of the BMs!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was wondering about this actually - all my BMs are different shapes.

The only major difference is that my CBM is petite (size 10 but is still shorter than me when she's wearing heels and I'mwearing flats), and my other 2 BMs are just a smidge shorter than me (so maybe 5 foot 6). One is probs a size 12-14 and one is probs a size 16. I was thinking maybe have the my SIL and SIL2B in one style and then my best friend (CBM) in another, since she is the "chief"!!!

Would it work?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics