Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2024 Cambridgeshire

Bridesmaid dress alterations

RomanticBlueCars26663, 1 of August of 2024 at 00:03 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 2
Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice!!
I've just visited a seamstress to look at two bridesmaids dresses. Both dresses are the same design and style and need roughly the same alterations - taking in at the sides, shoulders adjusting, hem and one of the dresses needs to be let out as it's come in a bit small.
As she was talking to me she mentioned £200 and I thought she meant for both dresses but it wasn't until the end of the appointment it became clear it's actually £200 per dress! By this point she'd already taken some boning and cups out the dress.
I'm running out of time to get the adjustments done but £400 seems far more expensive than what I was expecting and quite a bit out of the budget. I left the dresses there as I wasn't sure what to do but have messaged her to put any work being done on hold so to speak for now to give me some time to process.
There is some chiffon on the dresses so I do appreciate this will lift the price somewhat, I just didn't expect to pay almost as much to alter the bridesmaid dresses as I did my wedding dress.
I'm panicking and hope someone may have advice on if I'm being ripped off and need to go collect my dresses and try somewhere else or if this seems reasonable? It just seems very excessive but being new to all this I'm happy to be told Im wrong!
Thank you!!!!

2 replies

Latest activity by Gail, 5 of September of 2024 at 06:51
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi. I am up north and my bridesmaids dresses alterations and My Mums were £75 each! I think it depends where you are!!! My dress was £500 to alter which the lady couldn’t stop apologizing for but I thought that was normal for a wedding dress and how wrongly it was sold in size to me. These were 2 different seamstresses aswell. One specializing in bridal, that was my seemstress Ofcourse and the other altered like normal clothes if you like.
  • N
    Beginner October 2024 Cumbria
    Nic ·
    • Hide content
    I really feel for you, I paid £500 for 3 bridesmaid dresses which was already above budget.

Ended in the same situation, seamstress was pinning etc before giving me a quote. Worked circa £280 per dress for the alterations so just under £900.
    Had I known the cost before they became unreturnable I would have sent them back and selected different ones.
    Meant I was unable to have a celebrant do our ceremony as there was then no budget for it. 😞

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics