Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hollyhollytree
Beginner September 2016

Bridesmaid dress for a bigger bust

hollyhollytree, 11 of October of 2015 at 10:49 Posted on Planning 0 3

I have the luxury of only having one bridesmaid- best choice ever! But I'm struggling to find a style of dress for her to wear. She is slim but has a big bust- 32GG. They need to be covered up really so nothing plunging but I don't think we can get away with strapless?

The wedding is September next year and it's in a big manor house with an outdoor ceremony (hopefully). I previously posted my dilemma because my H2B is in the army and is going to be wearing his dress uniform which is black with a red stripe down the leg. A lot of the guests will be wearing the military dress too so I do think it's really important her dress looks good.

I'm unsure about colour as I don't want to clash with his uniform. Was thinking navy, duck egg blue, grey maybe?

I'm really struggling with style. These multiway dresses seem to be all the rage now and they do look great but would they be okay for her bust? I'm concerned as a lot of them are "one size fits all" which just seems impossible!

Ideally wanted to keep the dress below £150. Can anyone give me any advice or recommendations? I'm cautious of online shopping because it's such a gamble! xx

3 replies

Latest activity by SunnyPinkConfetti310, 16 of October of 2015 at 23:35
  • L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

I'm using the multiway dresses from in one clothing. One of my bridesmaids is a probably a similar size to yours and she's really happy with them. They're essentially a skirt with two big long straps that twist all round. We also bought the matching bandeu tops as otherwise the dress is backless. My friend is confident she'll be able to wear a bra with it which was the one thing she really wanted when we chose them.

Lexi Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat as you, bridesmaid wise. I've only got my sister as a bridesmaid/MOH - mainly due to budgeting, but also it makes it all a hell of a lot easier! My sister is also very plentiful in the bust area, and will have just had a child when she comes to the wedding - so making sure she is comfortable is big on my mind.

Seen as though you are only having the one bridesmaid- it might be worth letting her choose the style, as I'm sure she is well versed in what suits her shape? Just give her the colour you want, and tell her to send you over some styles she likes - obviously you would get final say, but it's a good way to see what she would be most comfortable in? A nice silver grey might be good to choose- sounds like it may go with the uniforms.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 'one size fits all' multiway dresses. The material can tend to be quite cheap and stretchy, and you almost always have to wear something underneath. I would think that a dress with straps would be better though - perhaps chunkier straps?

You could always order some dresses from the likes of Coast/BHS/Debenhams - I know they offer free postage to store, and free returns, so you wouldn't be out of pocket if they weren't very nice on? The tend to be very well priced too!

• R
    Beginner August 2016
    RhonaH ·
    • Hide content

I have a big chest and I buy my occasion dresses from Pepperberry (the clothing line of Bravissimo). They have lovely ones, particularly around Christmas. They do have some shops but they also have fantastic online ordering. Would definitely recommend.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I've got a slender bridesmaid with a GG cup bust. We found Ebony Rose the best of the designers we tried for dealing with this, the dresses seem to have plenty of bust space so there's no spilling over the top or eyes being drawn to the bust. This bridesmaid tried her dress on for the first time at the weekend and she looks absolutely stunning. Despite being very busty and slender, the dress actually fits perfectly - I was expecting to have to take it in on the bodice - so they must cater to the bigger bust in their sizing. This is the dress my BMs are having:-

And this is my GG bust, dress size 12 bridesmaid wearing the sample, which wasn't completely done up at the back, hence looking a bit baggy:-

The dresses were £180, so a bit over your budget, but they're beautifully made, fully lined, etc. and I don't have to worry that a guest might buy the same thing which can happen with high street dresses!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics