Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bridesmaid Dress Swatches, Dessy...a bit of a rant...

17 February, 2012 at 11:58 Posted on Planning 0 33

Hey Everyone,

I found the perfect bridesmaid dresses, more importantly all 5 of the bridesmaids love the dress too. They are Dessy gowns, 200.00 each which is over budget but if it makes the girls happy and they look lovely, its worth it.

The only problem is, There are so many shades of pink and i need to be able to match to my flowers - I have narrowed it down to "rose" and "carnation" but really cant decide which is best by just looking at a screen, and my florist will need to see the swatch, also the people doing the groom and groomsman stuff will need to be able to colour match it.

So I emailed Dessy and asked, given that I would be spending 1,000 pounds on gowns could they possibly send me a small swatch of each please, as I cant order until i know. They ignored my email, so i tweeted them. I was told that "giving free swatches would set a prescident so, no, you can't have any free swatches"

I was then advised that i could buy the swatched for £10.00 per swatch, plus shipping and taxes from the US.

A cheaper way would be to buy a "chiplette" for a pound each - but then the shipping is $12.00 or $17.00 plus taxes

Now am i being unreasonable? i know its only 20 quid when im paying 30k but its the principle! im spending a THOUSAND pounds and they wont even accomodate this tiny request? i think its totally out of order, and now i don;t want to give them any of my money at all.

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? or does anyone want to sell me a swatch at a discounted rate?

thanks! x x

33 replies

Latest activity by schiocco, 20 March, 2012 at 07:47
  • S
    StaceyH ·
    • Hide content

I'd look for a different company to deal with!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried going into a shop that stocks Dessy? One I've been to had all the swatches so that may allow you to at least narrow it down to which shade of the two you want. If you ordered your dresses through the shop they may also then get you the swatch for free that you can then share with your other suppliers (or at least you would only need to pay out for the one you've chosen!).

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

When I bought my Bm dresses from a bridal shop, the lady actually cut off swatches from her swatches so I could take them away to decide on the colours I wanted, might be worth seeing if a stockist in your area would do the same?

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

I've bought Dessy dresses and the bridal shop had swatches to give out. I actually forgot to take one, but they did have them. btw I've gone for carnation too!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Little bit sneaky but how about going back to the shop with a dulux paint colours swatch card (or another brand lol) and matching the dress colours to one on there, then giving your florist the paint swatch colour?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

My BM dress is a Dessy dress. I only have one though so she could pick what she liked!

We went to a stockist and they had a booklet of all the shade samples. Maybe you could ask to pick the booklet up on a Saturday evening at close, and promise to have returned it by 9am Monday morning (assuming they are shut Sundays).

If it's still an issue, maybe give them £100 deposit cheque or something so they know you will return it, and if you don't, they cash the cheque!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Also, where are you based?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I bought Dessy bridesmaids dresses and when I asked the woman in the shop I bought them from about swatches she said that Dessy were one of the very few companies that don't give them free. She said a lot of companies like Alfred Angelo will give the store a giant swatch that they can cut from for customers but not Dessy. They only provide the book with swatches stuck in which I have to say is not particurly accurate. Nor is the website. I wasn't happy either but bit the bullet and paid for the swatches from the states as I really needed it like yourself. Not happy though. Did you ask the shop for a discount on the dresses? I got quite a lot off the four I bought

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Which Dessy gown is it? Don't let it put you off if everyone is happy and you can afford it. Mind that saying about not biting off your nose to spite your face! It's pennies in the grand scheme of it even if it riles you. I was well p*ssed off about it but do I give a jot 6 weeks later? Nope. Am I enjoying having the fabric to show off everywhere? Yup! ? The cost is absolutely not justified however you do get a fair bit of the fabric rather than a tiny swatch. It's two pieces roughly 4 x7 inches.

I have ordered 2780 in lavendar and paid £600 for 4 dresses which was buy 3 get 1 half price. These shops have a good mark up so don't be afraid to ask!!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

How about trying to source one of these:

http://www.mywedding.com/blog/wedding-basics/decor-and-details/ceremony-decor/keep-all-your-vendors-on-same-page-with-pantones-color-fan/

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow they might be really expensive!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous! So elegant. The swatch book in the shop isnt that great so having them physically would be heaps better. If you asked for a few quid off the dresses it might make you feel a bit better about buying the swatches!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was what I was going to say too

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad they are pulling their fingers out for you!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Glad the swatches are coming. Make sure you ask at the store what discount you get for buying 5 in one go, they may well be able to offer some kind of discount. I know my local bridal shop offered my friend the equivalent of 1 free dress when she bought 5 others for her bridesmaids.

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

The dress we chose came in 3 different shades of pink (although it shows more on the Dessy website, but these were the ones offered by the shop). One pink was too light, one pink was too Barbie pink, so settled on Carnation. Luckily, I was wearing a top that day which matched perfectly, so I'll be wearing that top to my florist meeting!

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Littlelaura82 ·
    • Hide content

Miasposa in South Woodford have the Swatches why don't you send your London Based BM there? They gave my sister a tiny bit of their apple swatch 2 years ago when she ordered her apple swatch. They also order men's dressy items into the shop, maybe worth ordering a hanky to see?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YAY! Wish I'd sent a ranty email now!!

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

So glad you found something to suit your colourscheme. I would LOVE the carnation one if it's still available! I don't mind paying postage Smiley smile Please email me at [removed]

Thanks x

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

I will try and find someone for my carnation swatch after the wedding Smiley smile for now, i'm looking forward to actually having something to wave at the florist!

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

Yes!! Got it yesterday. Thank you so much. And is much bigger than I thought it would be Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics