Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner

Bridesmaid dresses. Can anyone recommend a less pricey alternative to Dessy

kittyket, 25 of August of 2011 at 22:49 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi

I'm getting married in April and have four bridesmaids. I really want to get them Dessy dresses but can't afford it. Can anyone recommend any alternatives.

I'm not keen on the dresses made in China.

16 replies

Latest activity by kittyket, 3 of September of 2011 at 19:18
  • septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

I had my BM dresses made from a company called dhgate.com, they are from China but use reputable companies and I used Paypal so I was covered incase anything went wrong. I chose my fabric and style, gave measurements, had lace up backs (incase of weight gain or loss) and they're fab :-) only cost around £45 each and they're bespoke. I didn't take that chance on my wedding dress, but seeing as I had 4 bridesmaids I'm so glad I managed to kit them out for under £200 and got the colours I wanted.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    stevening ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about high street alternatives? BHS do some lovely dresses as do Coast and Debenhams

• Dream Wedding Video
    Dream Wedding Video ·
    • Hide content

Hi There. We got ours in the january sales from Monsoon. It might we worth looking for factory shops, and shopping outlets such as Cheshire oaks or similar. BhS, and debenhams usually have dress with more reasonable prices. Be careful ordering fro outside the EU because of import duty/VAT I got really stung ordering clothes from America. Good Luck! Laura X

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I would steer clear of Birmingham dress lady if I were you. My BM dresses came from H&M and are perfect for what we want.

If not I think a good trawl of the high street should do it for you. It took us 7 hours but we found these bad boys and managed to buy them over the space of a week from 3 diffirent brances. One needs taking in a bit but even the costs of all that is much less than the dresses I was looking at orginally.

is the pink dress in that little lot FYI

• K
    Beginner
    kittyket ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls for your advice.

I've looked on the high street. My colour theme is grey and yellow, but you can't seem to get either of these colours in Debenhams, Coast, BHS etc. Wonder if I've made a rod for my own back going with these colours!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

There are loads of independant seamstresses out there, some professional, some talented amateurs. I've got a friend's mum who's retired .but still does dresses on recommendations - she's done dozens of weddings and prom dresses.

You could try your local college and see if they run dressmaking classes and find someone there

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Look in places like tk maxx as they have last season stuff (and yuo may find spring time yellow dresses!!) we looked here for something else and ended up finding them, they are simply discoutinued rnages from boutiques and stuff......mine were £50 each not that youd think it!! i can flash if u want!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

If you insist!excuse the bra straps..and the middle BM is pregnant in this pic!1

so i would have NEVER imagined getting something from tk maxx let alone finding the perfect dresses there!! outlet villages wil also be a great place to look for the spring colours just gone!

• F
    Beginner
    foxypepper ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Warehouse a couple of months ago, they were OttomanBustier dresses in bright yellow. THey don't have them on their website in Yellow at the moment but they keep bringing them out in different colours (have seen green, purple, red, yellow and blue on there so far)

The yellow ones were fab, my big day was yesterday and people were saying how stunning they were and where they were from, they looked really cute in them and they fit well. The material is quite thick so they dont seem cheap (£70). The girls loved them and said they could wear them again out.

Sadly I dont have any photos yet but can post some when I see some, its too early at the moment!

The link for the dresses they havein stock at the moment are below

http://www.warehouse.co.uk/Ottoman-Bustier-Dress//fashion/fcp-product/305428

http://www.warehouse.co.uk/ottoman-bustier-dress/Dresses/warehouse/fcp-product/305728

I hope this helps!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I would keep looking on ebay esp after the summer months or could you buy dress in grey and add a yellow satin sash and when you say grey could you buy a deep silver or buy yellow and add grey sash, from debenhams, monsoon or coast, i bought mine from coast for my adult bridesmaid but my colour scheme is purple so quite easy to get everything i need, i did buy my flower girl dresses i have 4 under 4 from hong kong at 11.99 each via ebay and paid via paypal they came last week and are beautiful.

• K
    Beginner
    kittyket ·
    • Hide content

Those dresses from Warehouse are just what I'm looking for! I'm checking the Warehouse weekly to see if they are putting on any grey dresses for the party season. I think I just have to be patient.

Thanks for the post. You've given me hope in the High Street!

• K
    Beginner
    kittyket ·
    • Hide content

Thanks.

I contacted one dressmaker and she quoted £190 each! More than the actual Dessy dress!

I may look at a few more dressmakers if I can't get the dresses I want on the high street.

• K
    Beginner
    kittyket ·
    • Hide content

I found some lovely dresses on the Boden website, unfortunately they weren't the right colour but thought I'd share!

http://www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Clearance/Womens-Party-Dresses.html?allOptions=true&sort=StaffFavourite&viewAll=true#bc

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics