Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
Beginner September 2024 West Sussex

Bridesmaid dresses - how soon is too soon??

Becky, 14 of April of 2023 at 15:56 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 8
Hello!

I’m not getting married until sept 2024 but trying to be as organised as possible. I had all intentions of not looking for bridesmaid dresses until next year, however, I’ve found a dress that I LOVE!! It’s just perfect, the colour and style I wanted AND it’s on sale for £45. Is now too soon to order?? I’m worried as I know a lot can happen in 18 months, people go up and down and I don’t want to get something that isn’t going to fit next year and can’t return. Is it reasonable to buy now or should I wait?

8 replies

Latest activity by Mario, 22 of April of 2023 at 01:59
  • T
    Beginner August 2024 South West London
    Tlo ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! I think I would personally hold off for a little while just because you don’t want your girls to feel any pressure to not gain or loose weight in the next year and a bit. The other option is that you could get them now and then pay to have them tailored next year if needs be? Xx
  • M
    Dedicated October 2023 Greater Manchester
    MrsM2B ·
    • Hide content
    My sister bought dresses for her wedding early as they were what she was looking for and were in the sale. The wedding was then delayed due to covid so it was 2 1/2 years later when we wore them. One didn’t fit but she was lucky enough to find one for sale in the right size so it all worked out in the end.

I’m only having one bridesmaid and she’s 12 years old so is growing anyway. We’re getting married in October and I bought her dress in February as I found what I was looking for. I’ve bought a bigger size and will have it altered to fit her nearer the time. It would have always needed some alterations as it’s too long for her.

It’s always going to be a risk buying them early. I believe some dresses can be let out by around one dress size but it depends on the dress. Having them taken in would be easier but is an extra cost. x

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you ladies x
  • D
    Beginner October 2024 Kent
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married October 2024 and have just bought my bridesmaids as they were on sale and I love them! One expense of many out the way haha x

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    I’d wait a bit longer- as other posts have said, sizing can change a lot in 18 months. People may start on new medications, life happens, pregnancy etc! X
  • Martyn
    Beginner July 2024 Durham
    Martyn ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in July 2024 and am in the process of finding "the one" for bridesmaids dresses, as I have a few extra requirements (jumpsuits etc.) however, I won't order them until 12-9 months before the wedding x

On the other hand, my friend getting married in May already had her dresses 1 year and 4 months before the wedding!

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

If the perfect dress you’ve found is an uncommon design and you’ve had difficulty tracking it down, maybe get it but be prepared for alterations closer to the time.

If it’s something that you’ll probably be able to find again/similar then maybe wait.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you for all of your advice. I went ahead and ordered one dress for my MOH to try and then I’d make a decision from there, turns out the dress was not to my taste and the colour wasn’t the same as advertised either so I’m glad I ordered it and know I don’t like it.

With that being said, any advice on other places to buy bridesmaid dresses? I’ve tried asos but don’t like anything they’ve got at the moment and Google doesn’t really have much other choice. Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics