Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Liverbird
Beginner August 2012

Bridesmaid dresses - Stockport/Manchester

Liverbird, 25 February, 2011 at 15:33 Posted on Planning 0 9

I am planning to have a girly day out with my sister looking for her bridesmaids dress in a couple of weeks, but am in need of ideas of places to go around the Stockport/Manchester area!

She would like something with 'proper' straps (not the spaghetti type), satin or taffeta, full length (she's nigh on 6 ft, same as me) and navy blue - which is proving virtually impossible to find on the high street and most of the bridal places I went to for my dress only had 10-20 bridesmaids dresses in, most of them strapless!

Ideally, we want somewhere with a wide range of dresses and not just strapless ones......any suggestions please?! We would be willing to travel a reasonable distance too.

9 replies

Latest activity by QueenCaroline, 9 March, 2013 at 19:27
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Hi have you tried googling? I have been told of a few in the stockport and denton areas, not actually been in them though:

http://www.alisonburgesscouture.co.uk/

http://www.weddingbellesbridalstudio.co.uk/contact.html

http://www.sense-and-sensibility.co.uk/

http://www.bridesatbestman.co.uk

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

My daughter's bridesmaids have got their dresses from Sense and Sensibility. You can always have straps added.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Yes, it's difficult to tell what's available without actually visiting them though!

Alison Burgess is nearby, so that's definitely on the visit list I think, I've been to Wedding Belles Bridal Studio and wasn't terribly impressed so will probably give that one a miss, Sense and Sensibility is where I got my dress from, they didn't have a massive range of bridesmaids when I was in last but they have just refurbished and expanded onto another floor upstairs so it might be worth going back there and I've never heard of Brides at Bestman, but that looks good so thank you for that suggestion!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

We went looking for wedding dresses to Alison Burgess and although they were lovely they were soooooooooooo pushy. I thought we were going to have to order a dress before we'd be allowed out! They do stock Dessy though and they have some lovely dresses.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

My dress is from sence & sensibility and my bridesmaids dresses are to, they are strapless though you can always have straps put on any dress.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the warning! Good job I'm going with my sis then, she's certainly no pushover!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cheeky question, but do you mind telling me if you got a discount on the bridesmaids cos you got your dress from there too, please?

Would like to avoid having straps put onto a strapless dress if possible as I always think the join is noticeable. I know, I know, I'm fussy! lol

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I was buying my dress and 3 bridesmaid dresses plus my shoes and veil so she gave me my veil for £50 and I got a free bridesmaids dress so only paid for 2 of them.

You need to be cheeky though and ask what sort of deal she would do!!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Ok thanks. She has already given me a discount on my dress and it's only one bridesmaid dress we're after now so I don't know if we'll be able to get any money off, but it's always worth asking I suppose!

• Q
    Beginner August 2013
    QueenCaroline ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up with the 'Alva' dress in purple from Coast which was totally different from my original ideas (long dresses just weren't working on one of my bridesmaids) but were very lovely! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics