Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SecretSquirrel123
Beginner August 2012

Bridesmaid dresses that compliment the brides dress

SecretSquirrel123, 16 March, 2011 at 11:24 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hiya,

I sooooo should be working but its much more interesting on here!

I started looking at some bridesmaid dresses, just for ideas really (and because I'm so excited!!). But my friend said I should wait til I choose my dress because the bridesmaids dresses should compliment my wedding dress. This is a silly question but what did she mean by that? I've looked at lots of wedding photo's but I've never thought to myself that the dresses didnt go well together.

Can anyone shed some light for me??!

Thanks! xx

11 replies

Latest activity by SecretSquirrel123, 16 March, 2011 at 13:30
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Is true...i wanted a pink dress but wouldnt have know WHAT pink itd be in certain ligths til i bought it (which ihave yay) and THEN went to get BM dresses.........if id have waited to get my dress but still gone and bought theirs, i could have got a horrible colour that didnt compliment the pink in mine.............IYSWIM?!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

They do normally advise this in bridal stores.

I'm getting married abroad and had planned to get myself a chiffon, floaty, grecian style dress and would have got similar styles for the BMs. As it happened, the dress I chose is completely different and is taffeta rather than chiffon. It also has flower straps, so I'm going to be looking for BM dresses with flower straps to complement my dress.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I would think she meant style.

Eg: If you go for a vintage lace type dress and really moden BM dresses eg: Ruffles / one shoulder etc it could look a bit mis-matched.

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is White Satin with a tulle underskirt and i've gone for Black Dessy satin dresses for my girls and will be adding tulle underskirts so they tie in with my dress style. I just think it'll pull the look together....

My flower girls is wearing a similar smaller version of a satin and tulle black dress...

x

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

I chose my BM dresses first, I found choosing them really easy and choosing mine a much harder.

However I can understand why people say do it the other way round, I had already started looking at wedding dresses and knew I wanted a big princess dress, but say if I changed my mind and had decided to go vintage tea length, then the long satin BM dresses I had chosen wouldn't "go" with my dress.

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help - this is going to be much more complicated than I originally thought!

Well this is the potential dress.. I tired one very similar so am just waiting for the shop to get this one in, it will be ivory. The bridesmaid dresses will be Tiffany blue - will this look ok?!

Only thing is, my bridesmaids are different shapes, one has said she needs chiffon because satin will show all her lumps and bumps, one has said she cant have strapless because her boobs are too big!! They did then say they would wear whatever I want them to, but I want them all to feel beautiful and comfortable on the day.

So I look to you ladies for help yet again!! What do you think? xx

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

Now I'm wondering if I should be going for a more neutral colour scheme ?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I think it's generally the style more than the colour, although you shoudl hold up a swatch of your potential BM dresses against the wedding dress to see if it'll go - it's too hard to say from just a photo.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My dress has some gold detail and has a silk underlay. I have picked BM dresses that are the same shade of gold and made of matching silk, in a non-obvious fashion/era-directed style.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think colour is a problem if your dress is all white or all ivory (if a pale ivory). Personally, I dislike the mix of satin and chiffon dresses - even in the same colour, they look too different. I would go for a dress with a similar ruching around the top to yours, with straps and a shorter A-line skirt (to match the sweep of yours). Maybe a shot silk (so kind of dull and non-reflective)?

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

Thats really helpful thank you! I will start looking Smiley laugh

I'm still toying with my colour scheme, I love the idea of having gold and ivory together - I think it looks so classy. Hmmm... all these decisions!! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics