Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2013

Bridesmaid Dresses - what do you think?

LisBee, 12 of September of 2012 at 23:38 Posted on Planning 0 21

Just wondered what anyone thinks of these? They look much nicer when you actually see them in the store and look a lot more expensive than they actually are! I know that are plain, but I just want elegant and simlpe for two 16 year old bridesmaids - my daughter and step-daughter who don't want anything too bridesmaidy, so I am trying to find something we all like!! I did think of adding a pretty brooch or something at the v to add a touch of sparkle?

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=6153384&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=navy%20dress&pageSize=200

Oh and how do you add a bar at the bottom of posts with countdown to wedding day?! Thanks ?

21 replies

Latest activity by LisBee, 15 of September of 2012 at 17:10
  • L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

[View:http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=6153384&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=navy dress&pageSize=20:550:0]

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

Nice but you'll have to be careful as they look a bit on the short side, especially if your BMs are tall!

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. My bridesmaids are both short (like me!). They are 5ft 2in and are both lovely and thin. I think they will look lovely and have requested short dresses. Not sure what I would have my 11 year old in ...

I spend hours looking for the right navy dresses ... losing the will!

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

My chief BM is 5ft8, that's why the skirt length issue is emblazoned on my mind - it was a nightmare for us lol!

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

We have the opposite height problem! Dresses should be just above their knees I think. There is so much to think about isnt there?!

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Oooo I think it's lovely but then I'm biased...we had our BMs in short navy dresses ? The OH wasn't very keen to begin with but it worked for us. We blinged our BMs up with bracelets and ivory feathery, diamonte hair clips. You need to take into account the time of year it is though - we got married last September and thankfully it was above average temperature wise and in the 20s.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I like them - with my bridesmaids boobs were a concern, I would make sure it didn't look to low and it was pinned/stitched if it could slip - think it looks fine but one of those things to check.

Get them to try it on I think it could really work.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I am biased too as we also had navy ? They are nice but im not sure on the wait tie......but that could be jazzed up a bit. But you need to get them to try them on.

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

I'm also having navy bridesmaids! I think the dresses could look really nice dressed up with some accessories.

Mine are also on the shorter side (they look quite short in the picture!), but when they're on, they sit just above the knee and look lovely.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Wow cinnamonfairy i love those!! Where did you get them from?

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I really like them. I'm not having navy but also more relaxed dresses. Will look great on 16YO with flowers etc.

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They're from River Island! They also do the dress in a light pink/nude colour too (or at least they were last time I went in there!).

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at them in person? I only ask because Dorothy Perkins dresses have a tendency to feel and look quite cheap material-wise. I would be worried about them being too casual because of the material and length, but if you and your bridesmaids like them, that's awesome!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I think they are lovely! They need something else, like a subtle belt (maybe a diamante one?) or something, but other than that I think they will look nice. And under £30 each - hell yeah! xx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I don't know, I would need to see them on as they look VERY short

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about the length (the mannequin is proabably quite tall). I would wonder about how deep the V is. Your idea of a brooch could be used to bring those bits closer together and would add sparkle. As with any bridesmaids it always makes for a more harmonious day if they are happy and comfortable in the dress, particularly with self-conscious teenagers! If they like it and you like it then it doesn't matter what they wear.

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^ This. Def need something adding to them.

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, yeah they need to try them on. They are both very petite and dont think boobs will be a problem! ?

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! I like the idea of a diamante belt ... going to start looking for one! Yeah I liked the price too! We are on a budget as we have been spending lots on building work etc on our house. The wedding is just small and intimate in a castle with our three girls, both sets of parents, my brother and sister and their partners. Right now to search for belts!! Thank you ?

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like this dress! Going to have a look at that one now ... thanks

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone ... you're all being really helpful ?

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I now have a favourite for my bridesmaid dresses. They are lovely and think our 16 yr olds will look gorgeous in them! Hope you don't mind me copying cinnamonfairy?!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics