Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2016

Bridesmaid dresses - worst part!!!

Larak156, 2 of April of 2015 at 15:20 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

Anyone else having constant issues with getting bridesmaid dresses?
I swear its the most stressful part as my girls are just so fussy and are so different Smiley sad

Help!

xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Larak156, 8 of April of 2015 at 09:22
  • T
    Beginner August 2015
    this_cat_here ·
    • Hide content

I had an utter nightmare too, in tears over it and OH was getting really stressed because I was stressed. Different shapes and sizes, argh!

In the end the BM who was having the most difficulty picked one that we both thought was ok and the other two kind of just had to get on board.

I just had to let it go and not care, it's not me wearing it on the day....!

• TheFutureMrsKay
    Beginner October 2015
    TheFutureMrsKay ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry that you have this issue. Bridesmaid dresses was actually one of the easiest things for me. I thought it would be so hard considering one lives in Sweden but, when they were all together, I showed them a couple that I had seen online, and they all picked the same one and said it was beautiful. I ordered them, and now they all love them and they look great. So I guess I'm pretty lucky that they have similar tastes.

Perhaps give a selection of dresses and ask them what they like/dislike about each if them? Then you'll be able to work out what they're wanting.

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

I'm dreading it as mine are different shapes and sizes so I'm tempted to get dresses the same colour but different styles.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    Larak156 ·
    • Hide content

I am glad I am not the only one, as I was starting to feel like a Bridezilla.
    I have shown them endless dress, and endless styles, had them delivered and they can’t agree.
    I love my girls but they are giving me a headache honestly! Smiley sad everything else seems such a breeze….
    One is a size 20 and one is a 10, so finding something that compliments them both is so hard and that's in my budget and is within my theme.
    Give me strength... hopefully it will get easier.
    I am just going to take a step back and look at it all again in a few weeks (with a fresh head!) and then at that point they are wear whatever it is we come across.
    Thanks girls, happy to know I am not alone x

• C
    Beginner September 2015
    Chocolatelulu25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I've done - it was hard and depends on how fussy you are with the different shades of that colour; in the end I just let it swim over me - as long as everyone feels comfortable and they fit, that's the main thing! My sister who is chief BM has virtually got away with murder as she's got a cream and navy dress and I would have preferred all navy!

If your budget (and colours) allow, it might be an idea to go for twist and wrap dresses? BHS and M&S do some reasonable ones or else there's always Dessy and TwoBirds with loads of different colours/styles but you're looking at, at least £100+.

• T
    Beginner August 2015
    this_cat_here ·
    • Hide content

I looked at the twist and wrap dresses, the only thing i'd say is that my BM who is a larger size felt there wasn't any support in the top half of the dress.

I wound up with dresses from Quiz in the end.

• Featherpaw
    Beginner September 2015
    Featherpaw ·
    • Hide content

I only have 1 bridesmaid (my sister) and a MOH (my best friend). They are complete opposites of each other, in both shape/size and personalities (my sister is tall and large, whereas my MOH is really short and thin). I knew this was going to be a problem so in the end I let them choose different style dresses that they are comfortable in. I also felt it would be best if the dresses were the same colour (purple) but different shades as their personalities are so different it would be weird for one of them to be wearing a colour that doesn't look right on them. So my sister is wearing a dark purple and my MOH is wearing a light purple (not lilac!!!). They both look amazing in them! In a funny way though, it turns out that both the dresses are actually quite similar. They both have this little dimante starburst type detail on the left hip which leads into a ruche styled "belt" thing. So they do match. Kind of! haha!

I will stress that I made sure they got dresses in the same shop, in the same fabric and the same length. If they were completely different fabrics and lengths it would look really strange in my opinion!!

In terms of your bridesmaids being fussy; Just give them a kind and gentle reminder that it is your wedding and you make the final decision of what they are wearing in the end. If they have a problem with it, well, no-one's forcing them to be a bridesmaid! lol.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    marie75 ·
    • Hide content

I went out with mine for a girlie 'just looking and trying' day and ended up buying some from BHS. My two are 16 and 19 but with very different figures and personal styles. We agreed on the way that they would try anything and everything and I kept them to that lol. I was open to colours but veering towards muted tones of pink, nude or green but ended up with grey full length ones with a floral appliqué top (classed as silver but not metallic). I also said I was open to different dresses in the same colour if they both loved something different but they loved the same one! They ended up only costing me £95 each because I had a voucher from a wedding mag with me so was extra pleased xx

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Hah yes! Most stressful part so far despite only having two BMs who both wear the same size!! To be fair it was my own fault for being drawn to non-standard dresses that fit with the vintagey style of my dress, and I really wanted to get something they would both really like and want to wear again. Neither of my BMs would ever wear a regular BM style dress normally (they are both a little quirky heh).

We ended up (after weeks of discussion and sending links back and forth) with this whole palava of ordering online, trying on, having to send them ALL back, not being able to find the right ones in stock in the right colour/size etc. etc. I finally got it sorted a few weeks ago with two dresses coming in separate orders so fingers crossed they both arrive OK!! Fab dresses though and both BMs look rocking in them but my word it took a lot of effort.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MusicalJules ·
    • Hide content

Hi All

Sorry to hear that you have been having massive issues with your bridesmaids, I have to admit that I thought I would too when we all tried on last weekend but thankfully it went really well and all the bridesmaids loves them! I would totally 100% recommend the dresses from www.inoneclothing.com - I ordered some sample dresses to try on at home which was really helpful.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    Larak156 ·
    • Hide content

Millie, that sounds exactly what im after - where did you get your dresses from and can you share pictures? Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I eventually got the BM dresses from Revival Retro - this is the one:

However BE WARNED! They seem to only carry one if each size/style in stock for at least some lines. So if you are looking for lots of dresses in the same size you might be out of luck. There are lots of good retro swing and pencil style dresses on the site though and they were really helpful over email.

The other place I looked at was deadlyisthefemale.com - very similar dresses (I'm in love with the Stop Staring! brand), again lots of cool retro stuff, but they didn't have the colour/sizes I needed. I also tried ordering from Lindy Bop which was loads cheaper, but the size 8 (which fit perfectly in the style above on my BMs) was HUGE and they were swimming in them! They were a different style and were cute dresses but there's no way they would have fit properly.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    Larak156 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all of these!!!!!

I love this one in particular Smiley smile I am just going to buy them and make them try it on!

hehehe x

http://www.lindybop.co.uk/swing-jive-c3/audrey-delightful-dream-flower-print-50s-inspired-hepburn-style-swing-dress-p1486

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics