Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Phoebe
Beginner September 2024 Kent

Bridesmaid fallout / advice

Phoebe, 21 of May of 2024 at 20:30 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 1
Hi,
I need some advice. I’ve been friends with someone for just over 5 years. We weren’t immediately the best of friends but we were part of a friendship group, and at the beginning I would even say she would bully me or belittle me but in a jokey way.
We have had some good memories, but upon recent looking back, I have found multiple incidents where I had messaged my partner saying how she had upset me, or been rude to me when going out and how upset I was. A few weeks before my hen do she got frustrated with me and started shouting at me for forgiving my sister in law ( my sister in law cheated on my brother but they have worked it out and are now back together) I understand that she may not understand but she was angry at me telling me I was stupid and that I was a people pleaser and that’s why I forgave her. On my Hen Do she was incredibly rude to me sister in law, sneering and pulling faces at her as well as being rude towards her in comments. She also ruined the rest of the hen do by being rude to other people there cali g them selfish and being nasty. She spent the whole time being miserable. She completely tainted my Hen do and I have spent the last few eeeks crying my eyes out because of what she has done and how she made me feel. She has not apologised for any of it, and in the past she has never apologised for things she has done.
She is supposed to be my bridesmaid but I do not feel comfortable with her being there the morning of the wedding with my sister in law and other friends. I am happy to still ask her to come as a guest but I am not sure how she will respond. I don’t want to loose the other two friends in the friendship group but accept that this may be hard as they also have loyalties to her but I just don’t think I can deal with this waying over me anymore, it is ruining all thoughts of my wedding and planning.
I am not one to stand up for myself which makes things really difficult. I am completely afraid of her as well ….. I feel unable to say it in person due to her response and how she will treat me - I’ve discussed with my family and partner and have agreed to write it in a letter. Does this seem acceptable?
Any advice or anyone been in similar situations happy to share their experiences ?

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 23 of May of 2024 at 13:24
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry you are having to face this at what should be such a happy time for you.

Your so-called 'friend' (who is not behaving anything like a friend) is a bully, but she is right about one thing - you are a people pleaser. Otherwise, why are you considering even having her as a wedding guest?

You've mentioned that this 'friend' bullies and belittles you, that she shouts and gets angry with you, that she calls you stupid and has also been abusive to other people at your hen do and that you are 'completely afraid of her'. If someone else told you that a 'friend' was treating them this way, would you encourage them to put up with it? Or would you tell them that they needed to distance themselves from that abusive person? Don't put up with behaviour that you wouldn't expect someone else to put up with!

In your place, I would dis-invite her from the entire wedding. If that causes you to lose the other people in that group, let them go. If they truly think that this woman's behaviour is acceptable, then to be honest, they're not the kind of people you want as friends anyway. It sounds as if you are so focussed on trying to be a good friend to others that you are forgetting to consider whether or not people are actually being a good friend to you in return. Start setting some boundaries and actively seeking out friends who will have a positive impact on your life. You don't have to put up with 'friendships' like this one!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics