Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Saphireangel
Savvy June 2022 South East London

Bridesmaid gifts

Saphireangel, 20 of April of 2022 at 10:09 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 13
Hi all, so I'm Malaysian but getting married in London. I'm still trying to figure out what's the customs here in the UK. Is it customary to buy gifts for my bridesmaids to thank them? I bought them their dresses and I'll be paying for the alterations also.

And I'm just trying to figure out if bridesmaid gifts are compulsory, as I'd like to be mindful of my budget. Is a thank you card sufficient? Or does it have to be a gift?

13 replies

Latest activity by Sinéad, 21 of April of 2022 at 15:16
  • Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think anything is mandatory! I’ve only been a bridesmaid once and was more than happy and very grateful that the bride paid for my dress, hair and makeup. I know other people who have bought their own dresses as the bride wanted to keep the costs down.

I personally wouldn’t expect a gift as a bridesmaid. For mine I am paying for dresses, hair and makeup. I’m thinking I will get them a nice robe for getting ready and maybe some jewellery as well. A thank you card would be lovely ☺️
  • Saphireangel
    Saphireangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the reply. It's really difficult to know where to keep the budget. Unfortunately the bridesmaid dresses excluding alterations have gone over the budget I set at the beginning. So was thinking instead of gifts, I wanted to know if a thank you card was OK.
  • Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I think a thank you card is definitely ok ☺️
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    When I was a BM for my sister 11 years ago she paid for dress, hair and makeup and gave me a small token - think it was a paperweight with writing on it and a thank you card. My daughter was a flower girl she was 3 at the time and she got a Barbie dressed in a wedding dress 🤣
    Any kind of token gift and a card is fine.
    My BMs are juniors and my sister is my MOH now and I’m giving small gifts like notebooks, candles, little bracelets and pens all in a personalised bag. Probably at a cost of £10-15 each.
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    A card is fine - and better than wasting money on something they will feel compelled to keep but don’t actually want, imo!
  • Saphireangel
    Saphireangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for sharing what you're doing for yours.
    I think I'll just get satin robes for them for the morning, and they can also use that for the getting ready photos
  • Saphireangel
    Saphireangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya I don't like wasting money on something ppl do not end up using or wanting in the end. So I think I'll get satin robes for them (without their roles and my wedding date on, just their names) which they can also use for photos in the morning of the wedding
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s ok. I’m not doing robes as they are young BMs (I have four of them aged 8-14)but I might get my sister one as she is MOH. I’ve already got a really nice pink satin robe my fiancé bought me when we first started dating so I can use that!
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great gift!
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think you have to. I got my bridesmaids there jewellery as a little gift. Nothing expensive. I ordered it from Amazon. Just a little something to give them on the day 🙂

• Saphireangel
    Saphireangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya I think I'll go with satin robes so they can use it on the day for our photos also
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated July 2022 Durham
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I've just been putting little packs together for my bridesmaids, all I've done is a clutch cosmetic bag, compact mirror with their name on, foot pack, hand lotion, nail file, lip balm and the gel pads you put in your heeled shoes. All together it's not much. As the lip balms were in a pack of four so I managed to get a little gift bag set up for my mum and my mum in law. I've also bought their dresses but they didn't want their hair or makeup doing as they're quite fussy. But yeah just a little pamper pack.
    I think the robes are a lovely touch, but I agree with you about just having their names, as we had to bring the wedding forward and I'd already been gifted hangers for the flowergirls with their name and date on, so I'm having to peel the date off.
    Best of luck planning xxx
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes they will lovely ❤️.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics