Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

Bridesmaid gifts?

mustard_mitt, 2 of July of 2015 at 17:27 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'm really confused!

I've just bought our bridesmaid dresses - three of them for £100 each. I wanted to make sure they were dresses they could all wear again for other occasions and I always said we would be paying for them.

While chatting to a friend (not one of the BMs), I mentioned I'd bought the dresses and everyone was really happy with them and she asked what gifts I was buying the BMs for on-the-day to say thank you.

Maybe I'm a bit naive (or stupid?) but I didn't think of a gift as well as a dress and the dresses took up all the budget I had! Basically, are my BMs going to be upset they don't get a gift as well as a dress? Or should I get them a gift as well?

14 replies

Latest activity by Kellym81, 6 of July of 2015 at 21:51
  • M
    Beginner February 2016
    MrsF2B! ·
    • Hide content

Hi

it's your wedding, so ultimately that decision is yours - don't worry about what's 'expected'.

However, one thing I will say is that I wouldn't consider you paying for the bridesmaid dress as a 'gift' to the girls, just because you want them as a bridesmaid so I wouldn't have expected my bridesmaids to lay for the dresses any way, and you have asked them so your not really doing them a favour paying for a dress that you want them to wear! If you see what I mean...

That said, as above, it's really up to you whether you want to thank them on the day with a small gift. I've got my BMs a bracelet with a little silver heart engraved with the wedding date and 'thank you'. But my BMs have been really helpful, so I cant let that go unnoticed!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

It's down to you really. ....

I've paid for my girls dresses, hair and make up, I don't see that as a 'gift', to me that's a given if you ask someone to be a bridesmaid. Everyone has different opinions though.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

I will be paying for my bridemaids dresses and also their hair - I have asked them to be a bridesmaid so I'm not going to ask them to pay for those things! Especially when the dress etc will ultimatley be my choice. Because of that I will more than likely get them a small gift each just to say thank you.

On the otherhand I am having a make up artist on the day and have said that if they would like their's done by her they will have to pay themselves. They havent had a problem with this Smiley smile

Each to their own!!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to do anything but a lot of brides do to choose to buy gifts for their BM's as a thank you. I haven't but I have bought them really expensive shoes that they chose themselves.

dont feel pressured though, it's entirely up to you and budget should be considered.

x

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

I don't think your Bm's would mind if you don't have a gift but if it will keep your mind off of that, you can give them something that's not too expensive or better yet DIY. e.g. small plant, bracelet, perfume, book, diy keychain, personalised mug, or even a simple creative letter Smiley smile good luck!

• C
    Beginner August 2015
    carrotbroc ·
    • Hide content

I have paid for everything regarding my bridesmaids and bought them a gift

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

I paid for my bms dresses ... They are wearing their own shoes and doing their own hair and makeup ... so as I didn't want to give them a pointless gift with bridesmaid on it and my wedding date that would just end up as a dust catcher I paid for us all to go on a spa day together. Was £60 each and lovely xx I have asked my photographer to take a pic of each bms with their partner/family and I will get them a frame for them ... I'm not one for showy gifts on the day so I'm ordering them a personalised thank you card. My bms have been brilliant and caused me no difficulties. .. They are my best friends and I've loved every wedding planning minute with them xx

• S
    Beginner January 2016
    Stephanie104 ·
    • Hide content

I got a candle and a bar of handmade soap saying ''you're a star''. Done!!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've got my bridesmaid a gift to say thank you for being my bridesmaid / thank her for being there for me. I don't see the dress as a gift as she has to have one. I feel a bit tight because I haven't bought her shoes and I'm not paying for her hair and makeup (mainly because she's not fussed) so I've got her a decent present but if you don't have much budget I've seen some really nice but cheap gifts around.

I'm looking forward to the moment i give my mum and bridesmaid their gifts on the morning of the wedding.

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

When it comes to bridesmaids there's a massive difference in opinion on what you should do. You just need to figure out what works best for you and your friends.
    I bought my girls dresses which were over £200 each. They picked these themself but I chose the colour. As there very expensive I asked them to get there own shoes. Some people would frown at that but they were happy to. I did tell them that they could where what they wanted and didn't have to match.
    I'm paying for hair and makeup, but it's not costing much as its a friend doing it.
    I can't really afford a gift as I wasn't expecting to spend so much on dresses, but I couldn't imagine not getting them something.
    I've decided to make them each a memory book filled with pictures of us and lots of daft little things that only we find funny.
    It's barely costing me anything (I have tons of arts and craft supplies lying around the house) but I know they'll appreciate the effort.
    I think it's nice to do something, it's the thought not the cost that matters.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I ended up going halves in my BM dress, because I only had 1, and let her pick the dress. I paid for hair/make-up and also got her a gift.

Its not mandatory to give a gift, but its more the norm than to not.

What about a bracelet, pendent, personalised photo frame, BM trinket box? Lots on amazon and reasonable priced. A nice, handwritten thankyou card along with it would be appreciated too:

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I bought my BMs dresses and paid for their makeup, and I didn't get them gifts on the day. I bought them both thank you cards and gave them those on the morning. I don't feel guilty in the slightest!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

Me and my bridesmaids are staying together in a cottage before the wedding and it has a amazing bath so my plan was to buy them all a bath bomb or some sort of lush product and some primarni pjs and some pampering bits so we can all chill out together before the wedding.

Also thinking about getting us necklaces but i need to do some more research! x

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

I've budgeted up to £150 towards the dresses. I'm not getting them a gift as such but I will be giving them a bag on the morning of the wedding with a thank you card, sparkly hair combs, a pashmina, and then a necklace or bracelet to wear depending on what style dress we get. I've also got personalised coathangers Smiley smile We may get some flowers or something at the time depending on budget.

• Kellym81
    Beginner October 2016
    Kellym81 ·
    • Hide content

I will echo what others are saying. I am paying for my BM's dress hair and make up. I have also thought about getting her a little silver bracelet or something similar. I have always thought that I should get her a little token gift…but tbf I thought it was the 'done thing' like getting a gift for mil or mob…?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics