Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2016

Bridesmaid gifts

JadeyPops98, 3 of August of 2016 at 07:49 Posted on Planning 0 26

Morning all, so I was planning on buying my bridesmaids a necklace each and giving it to them on the morning of the wedding. However my sister mentioned that she thinks it's traditional to give the bridesmaids gifts along with the parents gifts etc during the speeches. Just wondering what you all are doing? I don't want the speeches to get too long but on the other hand I feel abit odd giving them a present with the intention of them wearing it that day.

26 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeFlowers600, 11 of August of 2016 at 09:33
  • katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm giving mine bracelets to wear on the day so giving them out in the morning. OH is giving his gifts to best men and ushers in the morning as well, he will just make a comment in the speeches about how they have already received their gifts but thank you again. We are also doing it this way as some people are getting nicer presents than others (!!) so allows us to give them out privately and without it being obvious who is favoured more ha ha eek!!x

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I don't think we are giving any gifts out during the speeches. I am giving my bridesmaids their gifts in the morning as I have got them jewellery to wear. My OH is getting a gift for best man but has said he will give him the present before or after and not during speeches. I really don't think it matters and I'm sure your bridesmaids will appreciate the gesture no matter when they are given the gift.

• O
    Beginner May 2018
    Oldbarnbride ·
    • Hide content

I agree that I dont think it matters when its given, but if its something to be worn on the day I would give it on the morning. Also take into consideration if your giving it during the speeches is there somewhere safe to keep it for the rest of the day if they dont put them on? For those reasons I would go for the morning. I was a bridesmaid a few weeks back and we gave our gifts to the bride and received our gift from her the night before incase of any tears.. didnt eant to ruin our makeup lol

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I will give mine out in the morning. If your bridesmaids are self conscious they may not like being stared at by the rest of your guests while they look at/ at the present. If you give it to them in the morning at least they can wear it all day and it will appear in your pictures too.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't give out any gifts with the speeches, our parents gifts were left in their rooms by the hotel, and same with the best men! For the bridesmaids I did them a survival kit each with all sorts in & gave them to them in the morning whilst getting ready. There were things like a snack bar, water, small bottle of champagne, nail file, hair grips, lip balm, mints, plasters, paracetamol! They loved them! Xxx

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting them a Kate Spade bangle each. They will be very pleased. I've bought their dresse and hair/makeup so I've not gone overboard.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I gave them their gifts the morning of the wedding which contained bracelets and a load of other goodies. One of my BM's met us at the church though so we gave hers during the speeches. I honestly think it's up to you - tradition smadition! If you give it to them in the morning they will most likely put it on anyway but if they choose not to I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

I did buy my bridesmaids dresses, shoes & hair - we also paid 50% of their room bills at the hotel, and lunch before the ceremony. My girls loved them xxx

• P
    Beginner October 2017
    Purpleshoes13 ·
    • Hide content

When I was a bridesmaid last year, we were given our presents after we were all dressed and were just about to get on the bus. It was a lovely bracelet that we all helped each other put on and I think made for some nice photos too.

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow!! ?

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content

I know my bridesmaids were just happy to be part of my special day. They weren't interested in the gifts they were getting or how much I'd spent on them! I have never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids have been presented with gifts at the speeches but I'd hope they would graciously accept the gift (regardless of monetary value) in the spirit it was given....! I hope you're being part of your friend's day for more than the gift you get and how you think the other guest will view your contribution to the big day.

• E
    Beginner September 2016
    ExpensiveIvoryConfetti603 ·
    • Hide content

I just purchased my bridesmaids gifts today for my wedding, my plan is to give them the night before as we are staying together and it is not something that they can wear on the day.

I normally just lurk on this forum but given that I had just ticked off this very thing thought I would say that just do what is best for you, your bridesmaids will appreciate it either way. My h2b will announce in his speech that gifts were given the night before.

I find it bizarre that a bridesmaid would need or want to be publicly acknowledged with a gift infront of your wedding guests given that you will of course do this in private and no doubt also follow up with a handwritten note.

That members other comments show that it is quite clear that there is a level of bitterness and resentment towards being a bridesmaid in the first place so don't let that put you off what you want to do which is completely normal and acceptable. X

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Surely if you give someone a gift it's for them to enjoy it? I think giving it at the speeches for the sole purpose of other people seeing them receive it is a little materialistic. My girls knew how grateful I was for all their help regardless of who saw them getting what.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I plan on giving my bridesmaids their presents in the morning as they will be things they can use during the day. I am also paying or their dresses, shoes, jewellery and hair. They will be thanked for their help during the speech. I wouldn't think it odd if no presents were handed out during the speeches.

Miffy1980, I think that your comment about the survival kit was rude. You seem very negative about being a bridesmaid for your friend as you often comment on how you have to pay for this and that and travel this far and how much hard work it is. I would never expect an expensive gift from a bride just because I was her bridesmaid. I also would not expect to be presented with a present publicly. I would actually prefer to be given my gift in private, as it would be more meaningful.

• E
    Beginner September 2016
    ExpensiveIvoryConfetti603 ·
    • Hide content

I think your missing the point. They will get a nice gift, but you stated it should be public which is bizarre.

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids/best man were given gifts during the speeches. They are always thanked and complimented during speeches though.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

I think it all depends on the friendship & the style of the wedding! I was also a bridesmaid for one of the girls who was mine, it was in London & they surprised guests with a big London bus to get us from the ceremony to reception - she gave her bridesmaids a bottle of MD 20/20 to drink on the bus! We all loved it, and had such a laugh passing it round at the back of the bus. She had a very relaxed wedding and gifts weren't given with the speeches. Ours was also very informal, we didn't have a sit down meal just a BBQ, everyone was thanked during the speeches - parents, bridesmaids & best men but gifts were done outside of the speeches. The survival kits actually took a bit of effort themselves and came in very handy! I don't think my bridesmaids were at all disappointed, each to their own!

I think in response to the original poster do whatever you want & feel comfortable with, only you know your relationship with your bridesmaids and how it will fit with the style of your wedding xxx

• J
    Beginner November 2016
    JadeyPops98 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry if my post caused tension!

Think I will give the presents in the morning then just say a quick thank you during the speeches. That way there's not faffing around with passing the presents to the bridesmaids and like one person said, they won't need to worry about keeping them safe. Think my sister just wanted to be centre of attention for abit haha

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    SunnyOrangeCars625 ·
    • Hide content

I've been to weddings where gifts have been given out during the speeches and weddings where they haven't- I'd say it was about a 50/50 split for me personally! I've never presumed that the bridesmaids and groomsmen haven't received a wedding favour if they weren't presented during the speeches- everyone's different after all!

A necklace is such a lovely idea too, what style are you getting? I'm thinking of getting something quite small and dainty for my bridesmaids- perhaps similar to this? http://www.findmeagift.co.uk/gifts/tiny-heart-necklace.html

• J
    Beginner November 2016
    JadeyPops98 ·
    • Hide content

That's almost exactly the same as the ones I was planning on getting! My sisters havr said they want to wear hold jewellery on the day though so we'll see. My sisters have been super helpful so might also get just them a little something extra

• S
    Beginner June 2017
    SunnyOrangeFlowers600 ·
    • Hide content

As long as they get something for their hard work does it matter?

I'm getting mine something different each from this collection: http://www.lionheartjewellery.com/etheniren they look like real flowers but will never wilt!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics