Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

bridesmaid guilt thing....

10 March, 2011 at 11:04 Posted on Planning 0 8

I already know the answer to this so maybe it's a slightly pointless post! However, I was hoping there might be other brides in similar situations and a problem shared is a problem halved and all that. 18 months ago a close friend asked me to be Maid of Honor at her wedding which is happening this December (so quite a long engagement) in the past 18 months however I have had a child, she is now pregnant, I met my now fiance, and I moved away from the town we both lived in and whilst she's still a good friend, I can easily go 6 weeks without seeing her, compared to before when it would maybe be a few days, we'd certainly see each other several times a month, so basically, we're nowhere near as close now as we were 18 months ago. I'm still looking forward to being her Maid of Honor and would like to think I'll do a good job! However - I've just got engaged and my wedding isn't until June 2012, and I can see us drifting even further apart in that time, not falling out, but just not spending a lot of time together etc. and so I don't really want to commit to asking her to be my Maid of Honor "in return"..... in fact, I have a very close friend from childhood who I shall be asking to be my Maid of Honor, we can go a whole year without seeing one another and it makes no difference what so ever to our friendship, it's one of those relationships, and I've "known" her since I was about a year old. I just hope that my other friend isn't "expecting" to by my Maid of Honor because I am hers? And I don't want to look ungreatful for the honor of being involved in her wedding in this way by not "returning the favour"....

8 replies

Latest activity by MrsShark, 10 March, 2011 at 16:19
  • *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

If she asks, maybe you can just say that you haven't decided yet... and see how it goes. If you're still close after her wedding then maybe you could have her as a BM and have your closest friend as CBM. If not then don't have her as a BM at all...

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I woudlnt feel guilty about not reciprocating the MOH thing. Esp as you have moved apart & you have a good friend to do it. She might be busy with her baby also, so might get grateul to not have the extra stress of your wedding, travelling to where you live to help organise & having her baby in tow.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Are you thinking of having her as BM anyway? I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all.

I'm MOH for my sister and she's mine. My other BM is my best friend from school. We're both hopeless at keeping in touch, and probably only see each other 4 or 5 times a year, but she's still my best friend.

She, on the other hand, is only having her sister as BM and I'm not involved at all. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

Simple answer would surely be to talk to her about it? I'm having my sisters as my BMs to avoid the hassle, and my younger sister has always said I would be hers (or now Matron of Honour because I'll be married and she thinks it sounds old and will bother me lol)

I would talk to her, if you have another friend who was always your obvious choice I'm sure she'd not be offended especially seeing as you've drifted apart a little and I'm sure she'd welcome not having the added pressure of having to lose the baby weight to fit into the dress!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I agree - don't commit her to being bridesmaid at the moment, let alone CBM.

I have 4 bridesmaids and TBH I don't expect 3 of the 4 to ask me to be bridesmaid in return - my cousin knows she has no choice and i'll just be there anyway! ?. (I knew the same when I chose her).

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I would just talk to her about it tbh, since she is getting married herself and understands that there can be difficult decisions to be made so would hopefully be understanding.

Just for perspecftive both my BMs are gtting married this year too one (who is my sister) has asked me to be bm for her, which i was delighted aboutbut the other sat me down and explained that due to cost she was only having her sister as bridesmaid, much as i would have loved to be her bridesmaid I fully understand and respect her decision and have no hard feelings at all and will offer to help nearer the time if she needs some extra hands

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

See, just personally, I wouldn't expect anyone to ask me to be a bridesmaid once I'm married... I won't be a 'maid'. I think men have it even worse, my H2B was saying the other day that he hopes his best man won't feel pressured to have him as best man when his turn comes.

Bridesmaids/maids of honour/matrons of honour are supposed to support you on the day and possibly in the run up to the day... I'm sure your friend realises that with everything else in her life, she may not be the best placed to fulfil this role.

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

I think this reciprocal BM thing can get out of hand sometime, it goe sthe same way with wedding invites too!

For me I was planning on having just two BM's; my best friend and my sister-in-law but then my oldest friend (who I grew up with, we have always remained close despite sometimes not seeing each other for years sometimes) and I got back closer over her hen party and wedding last year (even though I wasn't her BM) so I asked her to be a BM too.

I think what I am trying to say is that I could have easily said "Well I wasn't her BM so I don't want her to be mine" but in my eyes she is still an important part of my life and I think the fact that we got closer after her wedding changed things....so maybe just see how you feel after her wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics